The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Ghost
Blatant troll. Crap attempt. 1/10.

:awesome:

(I swear I'm not stalking you :shifty: )
I think you done too much. I remember last year mine was only 6+pages (with 2 pianos and a violin) and got max marks.
You could always chop some things off if the time limit is within 2-4 minutes.
Mithra
It's a sibelius file? :eyeball:
In which case how is it 26 pages long? Sibelius doesn't have 'pages' :p:. And composing 'for 11 instruments' on Sibelius is going to be fairly easy because you are using a keyboard, or at best other electronic instruments, and can just use different sounds which would count as different instruments. I think I had about 20 different 'instruments' on my GCSE composition if you count random ones on Sibelius xD.

Yes it does...
http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/8982/sibeliusrf9.jpg
Languagesfreak
From the Edexcel website:

In this unit students develop musical ideas in the form of compositions
and/or arrangements.
They may choose to submit either:
two compositions, or
two arrangements, or
one composition and one arrangement.
Each piece must be based on a different Area of Study.
The overall length of the submission, ie both pieces, should total between
two and four minutes.
Group compositions are not acceptable.
Each student submission must comprise:
either a notated score (either handwritten or printed) or a written
commentary containing sufficient performance directions to allow for a
realisation of the piece
a recording (on CD/MD/MP3).

Usually the teacher will convert all of them to MIDI files and write them to CD, or else it's perfectly acceptable to submit the Sibelius file instead of a recording, regardless of what the spec says.
Reply 45
How fat are you?
RightSaidJames
Usually the teacher will convert all of them to MIDI files and write them to CD, or else it's perfectly acceptable to submit the Sibelius file instead of a recording, regardless of what the spec says.

Ah fair enough, I didn't know that. But there's still the issue of how long the piece is..
Reply 47
xBillyBrownx

(I swear I'm not stalking you :shifty: )

I wish you were!

:awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:
Reply 48
Languagesfreak
Ah fair enough, I didn't know that. But there's still the issue of how long the piece is..

Typical isn't it. They allow you to submit your work as a sibelius file although when it comes to time scales. They are ready to penalise you.

So I have to cut down a fantastic piece of work just because it's too long. Did Bach have to cut down his chorals because they were too long, I think not. TYPICAL ENGLAND isn' it.

So I have to cut down on quality because my work is too long. that makes me sick :mad:

A piece of music is meant to tell a story, evoke emotion, not be suppressed into a time scale :stomp:
That does seem a bit odd to me... I don't see why they have the restriction
Ghost
I wish you were!

:awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome::awesome:

Well then I might :h:

Comparing yourself to Bach? Okaaaaaaaaaay.

There's a time restriction as they have so many to get through and don't want all submissions to be 10minutes long.
Meteorshower
That does seem a bit odd to me... I don't see why they have the restriction

Because they have thousands of them to mark, and arguably it's more skilful to squeeze more musical features/motifs into a smaller space. Besides, my Music teacher used to tell us that what gets you good marks at GCSE/A Level wouldn't necessarily be considered good by critics who aren't examiners working from a marking scheme
clevergirl
Typical isn't it. They allow you to submit your work as a sibelius file although when it comes to time scales. They are ready to penalise you.

So I have to cut down a fantastic piece of work just because it's too long. Did Bach have to cut down his chorals because they were too long, I think not. TYPICAL ENGLAND isn' it.

So I have to cut down on quality because my work is too long. that makes me sick :mad:

A piece of music is meant to tell a story, evoke emotion, not be suppressed into a time scale :stomp:

I'm sure a genius such as yourself can rework the piece to make it short enough! You can always submit a digeridoo and alphorn concerto for AS?
Reply 54
Languagesfreak
I'm sure a genius such as yourself can rework the piece to make it short enough! You can always submit a digeridoo and alphorn concerto for AS?

No. Strings are more my forte. I am now depressed because I have spent so long on this piece and now I find that I have to start to edit it. :frown:

Why bother trying...
clevergirl
No. Strings are more my forte. I am now depressed because I have spent so long on this piece and now I find that I have to start to edit it. :frown:

Why bother trying...

Why don't you only submit the Baroque section of your piece :tongue: That way it will actually sound like music, and it'll be short enough.
Reply 56
RightSaidJames
Because they have thousands of them to mark, and arguably it's more skilful to squeeze more musical features/motifs into a smaller space. Besides, my Music teacher used to tell us that what gets you good marks at GCSE/A Level wouldn't necessarily be considered good by critics who aren't examiners working from a marking scheme

That's complete *******.

Why can't exam boards set specifications that allow students ability to flourish? It's just yet another reason why English schools are falling behind, they're complete crap.

I'm sorry but it seems ridiculous to teach a subject according to how to answer the tests...

:mad:
Reply 57
Languagesfreak
Why don't you only submit the Baroque section of your piece :tongue: That way it will actually sound like music, and it'll be short enough.

You cannot make assumptions on what my piece sounds like unless you have heard it. Anyhow, I suppose I could just submit the Baroque section because that is my favourite era although the piece doesn't sound the same without the other parts :frown:
I don't think she's a troll, just a sad individual who's desperate to be considered a genius but isn't quite there and will blatantly never be.
Reply 59
Revolution is my Name
I don't think she's a troll, just a sad individual who's desperate to be considered a genius but isn't quite there and will blatantly never be.

Hmm. This is just typical of TSR-ians. They all want to be branded as geniuses because they get AAAAA or a string of A* at GCSE. I'm afraid my friend you cannot define a genius although whatever genius is, you and TSR don't have it. I, however, don't wish to be a genius. I was merely asking advice on whether or not I have done too much for my coursework and unfortunately, I have.

I'm afraid my friend, you and the rest of TSR are not geniuses because geniuses don't spend all their time on an internet chat room, like a ***** up individual.

Latest

Trending

Trending