The Student Room Group

British bulldog puppies

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
try going to a site called preloved they have them on there for about 300 if you look through them all, good luck
Are you sure you haven't just been watching Celeb Juice and fallen in love with "Spud" hahaha

I highly doubt you are going to find a pup cheap tbh =/
Reply 22
PLEASE go to the Bulldog club of GB. do lots and lots of saving. Bulldogs are expensive to keep if you dont get a good one. and you will definately not get a healthy one for less than £500 (unless you are very very lucky)

I would say rescue... but I know quite a number of rescued bullies..and they unfortunately were quite poorly bred.
I would look into show stock as these are often health tested. Infact, I would even look into the lineage of the bulldog which was disqualified from Crufts because it was actually from a line where they have started trying to change the conformation by reducing wrinkling etc
better still.. dont get a breed because of looks. go and actually get a 'rescue' dog.
Reply 23
Why don't you get a dog that isn't a genetic monstrosity and rehome something that desperately needs a home.?
Here's a site with some breeders. Look through breeders and puppies. http://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeds/bulldog

Do yourself and the dogs a favour and DO NOT(!!!) buy from an online ad for speed or price. Choosing a purebred, you want a reputable breeder - the majority of puppies, sadly, come from backyard breeders. This means they are bred for money, fun, ignorance...not for bettering the breed.
By selecting a reputable breeder it might mean you're paying more. It might mean you are waiting. But from choosing a purebred, I beg of you to do so.
- You want a breeder that does something with their dogs: whether it is working or showing or agility or whatever. Something to prove that they are an outstanding dog, not just a pretty face.
- They should do health tests on both parents. This does NOT mean a vet check. This means tested their elbows, hips, eyes, etc.
- You want someone who breeds to better the breed. You should ask them many questions - and they should ask you many also! You want someone who is picky to find the right home, NOT a quick sale. A reputable breeder will be around for your whole dog's life for you to contact if need be. They should even be willing to take the dog back if necessary. Basically, the dog's needs should be first. A good breeder will even select the puppy (or at least several) for you based on your needs, for example whether there is show potential, personality, etc. You don't want a nervous pup but you also don't want an in-your-face dog.

Why is this important? We have SO many homeless dogs being euthanised, treated badly, or neglected in shelters because of the thousands of dogs being pumped out "for some cash", "because she's so pretty", "because i think a litter will calm her down" "because he should experience sex" and so on. Usually its for cash. Do the dogs a favour and don't support this.

If that's not enough for you, do it for you. You want a healthy dog who is NOT going to fall ill to a genetic disease or bad hips years down the line. You want a sound, confident dog who will be your best buddy. Specifically to bulldogs, we all know they can be prone to problems with breathing, their jaws, their eyes, their legs/stature. Don't let your loved puppy be suffering because you got him/her from a bad source. Don't you want a healthy, thriving specimen who is a good name for the breed?

I didn't get my mixed breed pup from the "breeder" themselves (because I'd never support it), but she was initially from a backyard breeder. And that worries me everyday.

You will thank yourself for it :smile: :smile: :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by farawayheartbeat
Here's a site with some breeders. Look through breeders and puppies. http://www.champdogs.co.uk/breeds/bulldog- They should do health tests on both parents. This does NOT mean a vet check. This means tested their elbows, hips, eyes, etc.

- You want someone who breeds to better the breed.. Specifically to bulldogs, we all know they can be prone to problems with breathing, their jaws, their eyes, their legs/stature. Don't let your loved puppy be suffering because you got him/her from a bad source. Don't you want a healthy, thriving specimen who is a good name for the breed?
:smile:

I dont care what gender you are.. MARRY ME :O

in other words.. thank you thank you thank you for putitng my thoughts into words :biggrin:
Original post by Leooonie
I dont care what gender you are.. MARRY ME :O

in other words.. thank you thank you thank you for putitng my thoughts into words :biggrin:

LOL. You are very welcome. I am glad someone else agrees with me :biggrin:
As others have said, you're not going to find a cheap British bulldog, they can't breed on their own, so need a caesarian to have puppies, which is expensive and the proper breeders should be doing genetic health tests, which again pushes up the costs.

Considering how many health problems a 'healthy' bulldog can develop (no matter what anyone says, a dog sounding like it is suffering from an asthma attack all the time, is NOT healthy or normal) you will have to expect very hefty vet fees and insurance is extremely expensive too.

If you do find a cheap bulldog, then the so called breeder hasn't done their jobs properly and likely you will end up with a couple of grand in vet fees or putting the puppy to sleep.

Research the breed so you know what health problems you can expect. If you go to a good breeder who health tests you will more likely save on vet bills as there is a better chance the puppy won't need operations to remove extra skin so they can actually breathe. Though, with that breed, can't guarantee it.

Have a look at Victorian Bulldogs. They are what British Bulldogs looked like in the 1800s, so still look bulldog, before the show breeders got their dirty mits on the breed and mutated them.

They are healthier then the BB.

http://www.victorian-bulldog.co.uk/gallery/
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest