The Student Room Group

Computer Science Applicants

Hello,
So how are the computer science applicants doing. Which uni's did they apply for and do you have any offers yet?
My application was send out a bit late, 10pm on 14th jan - school took 7 days after i completed my ucas application to get it done:frown: . Anyway, I should have submitted it earlier. My predicted Grades are ABB, however, I got C,D,E(droped) , U in my AS :frown: Obviously I am re-taking most of them. Done some in Jan already. Here are my uni's

Surrey - Computer Engineering
Reading - Computer Engineering
Kent - Computer Science
Swansea - Computer Science
Portsmouth - Computer Engineering

So far no offers yet. Hope to get in Surrey or Reading. How is everyone else doing?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hiii!!

I applied for:

Heriot Watt
Aberdeen
Glasgow
Stirling - Conditional (B)
Napier - Unconditional

All for straight computer science.

I'm hoping to go to Heriot Watt or Aberdeen.
Reply 2
Aberystwyth - Offer 280 UCAS
Bristol - Offer AAB
Cambridge - Rejected (after the Maths interview went so dire)
Nottingham - Offer BBB
Southampton - Offer AAB
Reply 3
Applied for CS,

Bath - Open day invite in feb
Southampton - Open day invite in feb
Warwick - Offer AAB
Reading - Offer 300 points
Bristol - Still waiting
Reply 4
I appied to

Glasgow Caledonian - Conditional
Napier - nothing yet, how long does it usualy take does anyone know?
Stirling - nothing yet, ^ as above??
Aberdeen - Aknowleged
Strathclyde - nothing yet!
Reply 5
I applied for
Southampton - interview
Sheffield - interview
Edinburgh - offer
York - Interview
Warwick - offer

And i sent my ucas off quite late...applying for CS.
Reply 6
all in the sig, computer systems engineering or computer engineering. (sent on 18/12/08)

heard some sort of response from everyone but reading
Shadowrising
Hello,
So how are the computer science applicants doing. Which uni's did they apply for and do you have any offers yet?
My application was send out a bit late, 10pm on 14th jan - school took 7 days after i completed my ucas application to get it done:frown: . Anyway, I should have submitted it earlier. My predicted Grades are ABB, however, I got C,D,E(droped) , U in my AS :frown: Obviously I am re-taking most of them. Done some in Jan already. Here are my uni's

Surrey - Computer Engineering
Reading - Computer Engineering
Kent - Computer Science
Swansea - Computer Science
Portsmouth - Computer Engineering

So far no offers yet. Hope to get in Surrey or Reading. How is everyone else doing?

No offense, but do you actually expect to achieve ABB when your AS's were CDEU? What are the offers from Surrey and Reading?
Reply 8
Magical Moogles
Hi! Computer Science and Mathematics here :smile:

I was predicted A, B D for my A Levels (A in Maths, B in Computing). The D was in Further Maths, which happens to be my favourite subject. The reasoning when I asked, was that my teacher is worried that Im not going to pass, as Im teaching 1/3rd of the A Level to myself. (FP2 and FP3 modules). Personally I think a fair prediction would of been ABB or at the very least, ABC. Oh well, Ive been told my reference explains that Im taking modules by myself, and Im doing the whole A Level Further Maths in one year. :unsure:

Anyways, Ive applied to

Bath - Rejected :s-smilie: (Expected, the typical entry grade is AAB)
Plymouth - 260 Points (Nice Insurance :smile:)
Exeter - Waiting
Southampton - Waiting
Royal Holloway - Waiting

Exeter is the place I really want an offer from. I think if Im rejected, I will cry and end up applying next year lol

Good luck guys :wink: theres always clearing or taking a 3rd year, if things dont work out. (I know I'll be needing it)

Mate i taught myself FP1 and a lot of other stuff using livemaths.co.uk...its a bit of money (although in a month there will be a 6 month subscription which is cheaper) however its amazing! My first maths modules were A(only just got the A)BE (january) then after using that in my june i got AAAB in the math modules....i got 90% in mechanics which i started revising the day before! And in the mock i got like an E...(i didnt have much time to revise but used that the day before and did few papers morning before exam...got me to an A grade)
Reply 9
nicangeli
Applied for CS,

Bath - Open day invite in feb
Southampton - Open day invite in feb
Warwick - Offer AAB
Reading - Offer 300 points
Bristol - Still waiting

I'll be in southampton in febuary lol, see you there. =p
Reply 10
I've applied for;

Nothumbria -- Computer Science (Conditional)
Teeside -- Computer Science (Interview)
Teeside -- Computer Networks (Interview)
Leeds Met -- Computing (Conditional)
Hertfordshire -- Computer Science (Conditional)

Leeds Met and Northumbria were safety choices, in case I wanted to stay at home Northumbria) and in case I decided against CS (Leeds Met). The most the offers needed me to get was DMM, when I'm expecting DDD (AAA), so the hardest one to get is going to be Teeside because of the interview.

I think I wanna go to Teeside though, it's pretty close to home and seems like a nice place. Anyone else applied there to start in Sep' 09?
Reply 11
tim131
I appied to

Glasgow Caledonian - Conditional
Napier - nothing yet, how long does it usualy take does anyone know?
Stirling - nothing yet, ^ as above??
Aberdeen - Aknowleged
Strathclyde - nothing yet!

When did you apply? I sent mine 18th/19th Dec, give or take a day, and got offers from Napier and Stirling last week.
Reply 12
schrei
When did you apply? I sent mine 18th/19th Dec, give or take a day, and got offers from Napier and Stirling last week.

I applied early Janurary, I'm just not sure how long it takes, I was over the moon when I got a conditional from Cale.

Congrats on your offers. :smile:

I'm not sure about Napier or Stirling though, comp sci wise, there isn't a lot of info on their sites, and I wondering are they like the others, where you have to take three subjects, like comp sci, and then two completely different subjects.
Reply 13
Yeah, they are pretty much like the others. I think most unis in Scotland allow you to take more than one subject - but I could be wrong.

Napier is supposed to be good for Business and Computing Science, but I only really applied because one of the admission tutors practically begged me to apply when we met at a higher ed conference thing. He even emailed me when they started taking applications.

Which one do you hope to go to?
Reply 14
schrei
Yeah, they are pretty much like the others. I think most unis in Scotland allow you to take more than one subject - but I could be wrong.

Napier is supposed to be good for Business and Computing Science, but I only really applied because one of the admission tutors practically begged me to apply when we met at a higher ed conference thing. He even emailed me when they started taking applications.

Which one do you hope to go to?

I'm really undecided on that, I would like to go to Aberdeen or Strath, but not sure which one the most, but having said that I would be very happy to got Cale or Stirling (its campus seems great, and so does the city) then Napier, again, no to sure about this, I might fly to Glasgow one day and do a tour of the country :tongue:

I really like Aberdeen as a university, but not sure about the city, and the transport links, and I've a feeling it could be expensive too!

Which would you be more into HW or Aberdeen?
Reply 15
tim131

Which would you be more into HW or Aberdeen?

I don't know, I'm completely torn. HW because money wise, it would be easier. It's closer to home and I could get a part time job in Edinburgh and keep it during the summer. Aberdeen is further away, which I like as it's forcing me to be completely independent, and it obviously has a greater reputation.
Reply 16
Heey guys and gals,

Have applied to:

Kent - Computer Science
Oxford Brookes - Computer Science
Bournemouth - Computing
Hertfordshire - Computer Science
Keele - Computer Science

Offers from Oxford Brookes, Bournemouth and Herts and a Feb interview at Kent :biggrin:
Reply 17
schrei
I don't know, I'm completely torn. HW because money wise, it would be easier. It's closer to home and I could get a part time job in Edinburgh and keep it during the summer. Aberdeen is further away, which I like as it's forcing me to be completely independent, and it obviously has a greater reputation.

Yeah the independence side of things is great!

With Edinburgh though, I've never visited, I believe it's very expensive to live and rent, so maybe Aberdeen is cheaper for accomodation, that would sway it for me, and it's the 3rd biggest city in Scotland isn't it? so chances are you'd find a job.

Ahhhh descicions :tongue:
Reply 18
The campus accommodation for Aberdeen is more expensive that the accommodation for Heriot Watt, I don't really know about the others. The nightlife for Edinburgh is pretty fantastic and a lot of pubs and clubs accept fake id (if you're not 18 already).

I've never been to Aberdeen before in my life, yet I've always had a small obsession for the city. I've just always wanted to go there.

I think I might just toss a coin.
Reply 19
schrei
The campus accommodation for Aberdeen is more expensive that the accommodation for Heriot Watt, I don't really know about the others. The nightlife for Edinburgh is pretty fantastic and a lot of pubs and clubs accept fake id (if you're not 18 already).

I've never been to Aberdeen before in my life, yet I've always had a small obsession for the city. I've just always wanted to go there.

I think I might just toss a coin.

Is it? I'll have to check out Aberdeens accomodation so.

Yeah, my mates went to Edinburgh for the weekend and said the nighlife was epic and clubs don't close till 5 :eek:

Yeah tossin a coin sounds good lol, I just think it would be best to visit all the cities and universities that you've applied to, and see which is the best. I think thats what I'm gonna have to do. If I had chose soley on the city, it would be Glasgow for me, as it seems great, but university wise I think Aberdeen is the best choice I've put down!

Latest

Trending

Trending