address in
a public forum
please

The Employers Name
Full Address
Postcode

26TH January 2009

Dear Persons name or Sir/Madam,

I would like to apply about the possibility of a work experience placement with your hospital during the week 20 – 24 July 2009.

I am 17 and a student at Sutton Grammar School for Boys. I am studying A level’s in Biology, Chemistry, Critical Thinking, DT Graphics and Maths. I have combined the analytical skills I have developed from Chemistry and problem solving from maths with the work I have done in Biology to form a strong foundation for becoming a doctor.

Whilst I am trying to gain various work experience that will help confirm this as my career choice, I am writing to your hospital specifically as I would like to see what makes a good doctor and due to your excellent reputation, I feel that name of hospital would be the best place to do so.

Prior to this, I have experience of working in a care home with terminally ill patients and worked in Liaquat National Hospital in Pakistan for 2 weeks. There, I was able to compare the medical problems faced by each nation and how western and third world healthcare systems were setup. Having shadowed doctors through various departments, such as outpatients, paediatrics, pathology and radiology I have half-confirmed medicine as my career choice, but to be absolutely certain, I want to gain some experience here. I volunteered at British Heart Foundation for a year and during my time there; I was quickly promoted to cashier and was able to interact with members of the public from various backgrounds.

I am a good communicator, compassionate, have good etiquettes and am very organised. My personal interests include football, cricket, cooking and going out to the cinema.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

SIGNATURE

Muhammad Usama Imran

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Firsty, thanks for your time. Finally, any constructive comments are deeply appreciated.
Well you don't actually say what you want to do, which is just about the most important thing you should put in.

Edit: And take out that stuff about hobbys. It's not a personal statement lol
its okish i suppose

it doesnt read right though - youve talked about te right things but it could be written slightly better.

Like the first sentence doesnt sound quite right
I'm not sure I would say 'half-confirmed'. For starters, it's not a word. You want to show that you are serious, if I was in the hospital's position, I would rather take a student who is more likely to go on to study medicine than one who was unsure.
musama91

I would like to enquire about the possibility of a work experience placement with your hospital during the week 20 24 July 2009.

It's ok, it could flow a little better i suppose but i don't think it really matters.

Maybe check the NHS website to see if they have anything on there about work experience and tips on how to apply.
Reply 5
I think its quite well written personally, but I would agree with the other poster about being more specific about what dept you would like to work in. And the word 'within' would look better in the first sentence than the word 'with'
And I dont think 'I would like to apply about the possibility' sounds right
I think 'I would like to enquire about the possibility'? sounds better. What do you think? And I would lose the bit about personal interests too. I dont think that is essential, on any job application really.
But what do we know ey! lol Good luck with it, & hats off to you being able to work with the terminally ill, that would be way too hard for me :redface:(
Hense the reason I dont work in the NHS lol x
Reply 6
Check grammar and word use. And never ever write your name above your address in a formal letter
Reply 7
And this

musama91

I would like to apply about the possibility of (?????) a work experience placement with your hospital during the week 20 – 24 July 2009.

you definitely need to change it.
Reply 8
musama91
Firsty, thanks for your time. Finally, any constructive comments are deeply appreciated.

I would strongly recommend you to remove your name and address on here.

I don't have anything else to add to the suggestions brought forward so far.

Good luck!
Reply 9
Thanks a lot for your comments, I have changed it and here is the first modification:

--------------------------------------------

Don't post your name &
address in
a public forum
please

The Employers Name
Full Address
Postcode

26TH January 2009

Dear Persons name or Sir/Madam,

I would like to enquire about the possibility of a work experience placement within your hospital during the week 20 – 24 July 2009.

I am 17 and a student at Sutton Grammar School for Boys. I am studying A level’s in Biology, Chemistry, Critical Thinking, DT Graphics and Maths. I have combined the analytical skills I have developed from Chemistry and problem solving from maths with the work I have done in Biology to form a strong foundation for becoming a doctor.

Whilst I am trying to gain various work experience that will help confirm this as my career choice, I am writing to your hospital specifically as I would like to see what makes a good doctor and due to your excellent reputation, I feel that name of hospital would be the best place to do so.

Prior to this, I have experience of working in a care home with terminally ill patients and worked in Liaquat National Hospital in Pakistan for 2 weeks. There, I was able to compare the medical problems faced by each nation and how western and third world healthcare systems were setup. Having shadowed doctors through various departments, such as outpatients, paediatrics, pathology and radiology I have half-confirmed medicine as my career choice, but to be absolutely certain, I want to gain some experience here. I volunteered at British Heart Foundation for a year and during my time there; I was quickly promoted to cashier and was able to interact with members of the public from various backgrounds. I am a good communicator, compassionate, have good etiquettes and am very organised.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

SIGNATURE

Muhammad Usama Imran

-----------------------------------------

But to finalise it, I think I need a paragraph saying WHAT I want to do in the hospital. I dont quite know how to start it. Any pointers?
Reply 10
I'm still not so sure about this 'about the possibility', but its hmm i guess, ok so,

You could start the next bit like... ''During my time at -------------- I would hope to gain blahhhhhhhh experience, knowledge and skills which will aid me in persuing my dream of becoming a Doctor.'']

?
I'm stuck writing mine for placement as I have to go once a week and I have no idea how to start the letter.
i want to work with children and have been thinking about writing to social cares too.
Reply 12
Original post by Nicky McGilligan
I'm stuck writing mine for placement as I have to go once a week and I have no idea how to start the letter.
i want to work with children and have been thinking about writing to social cares too.

Be careful, you might get a warning for reviving old threads like this one :wink: Maybe start a letter with an introductory sentence like 'I would like to apply for a placement for a position of '..................' from .... to ....... And then probably similarly like you would do with cover letters, i.e. explaining why this place and why you are a suitable candidate :smile:
Reply 13
im doing a college course in health and social care dipolma level teo btec whats the best way to write a letter asking for a placement
Sk farddin
10 years ago, damn. So where you at now? :smile:
11 years ago! Hope you are now a doctor?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending