The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
idealreality
I called UCL to ask, and they said that previous years would be looked at to "distinguish between the applicants". I'm presuming it's gr. 11 because when I said gr. 10 they didn't give me a straight answer and I hardly believe that they would look into my gr. 10 extensively.

I have the same problem! My guidance counselor didn't even know what UCAS was and I had to explain it to her...

But like you said earlier, I guess my best bet is to have strong 12th grade marks and a solid personal statement.

Okay, then yes, your grade 11 will be the only thing looked at. Grade 10 really counts for nothing, haha. Makes sense though considering how many people probably apply to UCL.

Ha! Well, then my guidance counsellor knew a teeny bit more than yours. Back in grade 11 when I was asking mine about uni, I mentioned I wanted to go to the UK. She said she couldn't help me, but wrote down the UCAS website and gave it to me. From there, it was up to me to working everything out.

Yeah, the stronger you are in grade 12 the better your chances. If you're at your best in grade 12, they'll want you just on that. They'll only start looking at your grade 11 grades if your application doesn't stand out from the others because if you're mediocre they'll go deeper to try to weed out the okay applicants from the absolutely unacceptable ones.

On top of that though, make sure you can get yourself a very strong reference!
Reply 41
tragedy_x
Okay, then yes, your grade 11 will be the only thing looked at. Grade 10 really counts for nothing, haha. Makes sense though considering how many people probably apply to UCL.

My thoughts exactly! That's why I'm so preoccupied with my grade 10 marks..

tragedy_x
Yeah, the stronger you are in grade 12 the better your chances. If you're at your best in grade 12, they'll want you just on that. They'll only start looking at your grade 11 grades if your application doesn't stand out from the others because if you're mediocre they'll go deeper to try to weed out the okay applicants from the absolutely unacceptable ones.

On top of that though, make sure you can get yourself a very strong reference!

With such fierce competition: 3000 applicants for 150 places I find it hard to believe that if anything is less than amazing they wouldn't reject as fast as they could...
Reply 42
idealreality
My thoughts exactly! That's why I'm so preoccupied with my grade 10 marks..

With such fierce competition: 3000 applicants for 150 places I find it hard to believe that if anything is less than amazing they wouldn't reject as fast as they could...

No matter how competitive it is though, unis never consider grade 10 marks. I promise.

Ouch! Intense! Eeeeeeeek. Okay, I see your point. That is definitely some fierce competition. If I were in that position, I'd probably lose control of numerous bodily functions, lol.

I'm sure you'll be fine, though. Just remember:

1. Work your butt off in law class!
2. Ask lots of questions, participate in class discussion and all around do whatever it takes to get into your law teacher's good books.
3. Keep working hard in debate and take part in any other law related type of extra-curriculars including field trips to court cases if there are any (I went on one in grade 11).
4. Keep reading lots of law books!
5. Start looking ahead at what kind of law you want to get into because having a plan will be a good thing to mention in your personal statement.

Keep all these things in mind and you'll be good to go. You'll look passionate, dedicated, and committed. You'll also look certain about your choice since there are tons of people out there who don't know what they want to do so they take law. Plus, getting in good with your law teacher guarantees you a great reference. Any uni you apply to won't be able to turn you away!

Plus, don't forget... unis have an international student quota to meet. Therefore, I'm sure you have a lot less competition considering you are being compared to other international students.
Reply 43
tragedy_x

I'm sure you'll be fine, though. Just remember:

1. Work your butt off in law class!
2. Ask lots of questions, participate in class discussion and all around do whatever it takes to get into your law teacher's good books.
3. Keep working hard in debate and take part in any other law related type of extra-curriculars including field trips to court cases if there are any (I went on one in grade 11).
4. Keep reading lots of law books!
5. Start looking ahead at what kind of law you want to get into because having a plan will be a good thing to mention in your personal statement.

Keep all these things in mind and you'll be good to go. You'll look passionate, dedicated, and committed. You'll also look certain about your choice since there are tons of people out there who don't know what they want to do so they take law. Plus, getting in good with your law teacher guarantees you a great reference. Any uni you apply to won't be able to turn you away!

Plus, don't forget... unis have an international student quota to meet. Therefore, I'm sure you have a lot less competition considering you are being compared to other international students.

That was the most useful piece of information anyone has ever given me. Even more so than the universities I would say...

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH! And good luck on your own applications I'm sure you'll do amazingly. :smile:
Reply 44
idealreality
That was the most useful piece of information anyone has ever given me. Even more so than the universities I would say...

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH! And good luck on your own applications I'm sure you'll do amazingly. :smile:

Haha, wow! I feel good now =D. I'm glad I could help. If there is any other questions you have, feel free to PM me any time and I'll do my best to answer any of your questions.

No problem! It was my pleasure. I know how difficult it is trying to figure out what to do when you're applying from another country and have no one around to give you advice. I'm happy that I have made it so that someone doesn't have to struggle through the process like I did.

Thanks so much. I certainly hope so. :o:
Reply 45
hey im looking at applying in 2011 as well! so your definatley not the only one! im not really sure what im going to do but im pretty sure its going to be something sciency or maths! what unis are you thinking of??
Reply 46
Sprite
hey im looking at applying in 2011 as well! so your definatley not the only one! im not really sure what im going to do but im pretty sure its going to be something sciency or maths! what unis are you thinking of??

Finally, a fellow '11er! :biggrin:
I'm currently thinking of studying law at UCL, Warwick, KCL, LSE and one other...
Not really going for oxbridge though...
Chill mate, enjoy the carefree years before the real stress takes over you. I do Law as well and I definitely want to go back to those days.
Reply 48
Colourspinner
Chill mate, enjoy the carefree years before the real stress takes over you.

If only I could...
idealreality
If only I could...

I guess we all go through that phase - there was a time when I was like that too, but now it's 10 times worse!
Reply 50
Colourspinner
I guess we all go through that phase - there was a time when I was like that too, but now it's 10 times worse!

I'm presuming you're applying this year. :biggrin:
Reply 51
idealreality
Finally, a fellow '11er! :biggrin:
I'm currently thinking of studying law at UCL, Warwick, KCL, LSE and one other...
Not really going for oxbridge though...

oh sweet. thats cool! im thinking of applying to durham, edinburgh, st andrews and maybe oxbridge?! but i got a B at latin gcse that i took a year early. if im applying for science or something un language related does that still rule me out of oxbridge?
idealreality
I'm presuming you're applying this year. :biggrin:

I applied last year, I'm now a first year law student :o:
Reply 53
Sprite
oh sweet. thats cool! im thinking of applying to durham, edinburgh, st andrews and maybe oxbridge?! but i got a B at latin gcse that i took a year early. if im applying for science or something un language related does that still rule me out of oxbridge?

I'm not quite sure because I'm not all that familiar with the UK system...But, from the reading that I've done about GCSE's they don't put a considerable amount of emphasis on them- but I guess it all depends.
Reply 54
idealreality
I'm not quite sure because I'm not all that familiar with the UK system...But, from the reading that I've done about GCSE's they don't put a considerable amount of emphasis on them- but I guess it all depends.

oh sorry i only just saw that your from canada! how come your going to uni in england! good choice though!! :biggrin:
Reply 55
Sprite
oh sorry i only just saw that your from canada! how come your going to uni in england! good choice though!! :biggrin:

I'm a bit of an anglophile, and law in Canada is a graduate course so in some ways I'd be fast-tracking...
But, mostly because I'm an anglophile :biggrin: LOL
Reply 56
i'm sorry but i said that i was applying in 2011 ... does that not count as a fellow thing?? lol ojoj
Reply 57
kirky0521
i'm sorry but i said that i was applying in 2011 ... does that not count as a fellow thing?? lol ojoj

Oh, sorry! I guess I didn't read your post...

But yes, applying in '11 would qualify you as a fellow '11er.
LOL :biggrin:
Reply 58
idealreality
I'm a bit of an anglophile, and law in Canada is a graduate course so in some ways I'd be fast-tracking...
But, mostly because I'm an anglophile :biggrin: LOL

-giggles like mad-
I share in your anglophilia!
Reply 59
tragedy_x
-giggles like mad-
I share in your anglophilia!

I'm guessing it's one of the reasons you're applying isn't it? haha :smile: