The Student Room Group

Oxford Interviews

Thought i'd start this thread because i got a letter form oxford telling me what my second and third choose colleges are.
my questions are;
1)Is it weird i have'nt got an interview date yet or have they decided to reject me (no rejection letter yet)
2)What the chance of getting accepted by your second/third college option
3)whats the chance your second/third college option will give you an interview, is it likely or is there procedure for it
4)Has any body else been given an interview date

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hotnanoo
Thought i'd start this thread because i got a letter form oxford telling me what my second and third choose colleges are.
my questions are;
1)Is it weird i have'nt got an interview date yet or have they decided to reject me (no rejection letter yet)
3)whats the chance your second/third college option will give you an interview, is it likely or is there procedure for it
4)Has any body else been given an interview date

what colleges have you been assigned? and wat for
Reply 2
SaeedRehman
what colleges have you been assigned? and wat for

MY first choice was New college
second was Lady Margeret Hall
third was St Catherines

All for Law first type not the one with a year in Europe
Reply 3
hotnanoo
MY first choice was New college
second was Lady Margeret Hall
third was St Catherines

All for Law first type not the one with a year in Europe

when did your application get to oxford, cos i applied for law as well, and still waiting to hear about the colleges?
Reply 4
SaeedRehman
when did your application get to oxford, cos i applied for law as well, and still waiting to hear about the colleges?

faxed 14th of october, weird or wot went in to college and went to talk to him about my appliction said he forgot????what an idiot but he faxed it to them that day. I only got my reply today though so who knows, plus the postal stike might have been active in your area
Reply 5
hotnanoo
faxed 14th of october, weird or wot went in to college and went to talk to him about my appliction said he forgot????what an idiot but he faxed it to them that day. I only got my reply today though so who knows, plus the postal stike might have been active in your area

your right, mine was posted for next day guranteed delivery and got to oxford on the 14th before 12noon, obviously if not royal mail would got bare s**t from me!
Reply 6
hotnanoo

and your god damn lucky you enquired about it on the 14th!
Reply 7
SaeedRehman
and your god damn lucky you enquired about it on the 14th!

i know but i wasn't fast enough my access scheme application didn't get emailed on the 15th so shit but shit happens
Reply 8
hotnanoo
i know but i wasn't fast enough my access scheme application didn't get emailed on the 15th so shit but shit happens

oh, what are your predicted grades and was ur teacher statement good?
Reply 9
I got that letter. It was pretty useless tho because my second and third colleges have not yet been defined. It says somthing about maths applicants having their colleges assigned at the end of november.
mikesgt2
I got that letter. It was pretty useless tho because my second and third colleges have not yet been defined. It says somthing about maths applicants having their colleges assigned at the end of november.

The 2nd and 3rd choice colleges don't really mean anything. I got allocated two, had interviews at my first choice college and another (neither 2nd nor 3rd choice) but still got into 1st choice. You could still get interviewed at colleges other than your 2nd or third choice while you're here.
Unregisteredxx
The 2nd and 3rd choice colleges don't really mean anything. I got allocated two, had interviews at my first choice college and another (neither 2nd nor 3rd choice) but still got into 1st choice. You could still get interviewed at colleges other than your 2nd or third choice while you're here.

what so your application is seen by firstly your first college, and then any college can pick you!
hotnanoo

Taken from http://www.ox.ac.uk/gazette/2002-3/supps/1_133.pdf =

Total accepted by 1st college - 1435 male, 1350 female

Total accepted by 2nd college - 125 male, 131 female

Total accepted by 3rd college - 42 male, 40 female

Speaks for itself...

a.
Reply 13
SaeedRehman
what so your application is seen by firstly your first college, and then any college can pick you!

yup, subject tutors from all colleges get together and pass ppl round. They try their hardest to get you enough interbviews to secure you a place somewhere as long as they think you are good enough for Oxford as a university, even though your first choice college may just nopt have enough spaces to take you.
Reply 14
I got my second and third choice colleges today (for PPE) and they suck..

2nd New
3rd Univ

Not, of course, that those colleges suck in themselves, just that I was hoping for a second choice with a quite low apps/places ratio.

That said, more people end up at a completely different college than their third choice anyway.

I think the 2nd/3rd choice allocation is more of a formality than anything meaningful.
Reply 15
llama boy

I think the 2nd/3rd choice allocation is more of a formality than anything meaningful.

precisely.
Reply 16
llama boy
I got my second and third choice colleges today (for PPE) and they suck..

2nd New
3rd Univ

Which was your first choice college? It's just that I know 3 other people going for PPE (one at Worcester, one at Univ and one at Magdalen).

This year apparently everyone gets interviewed in at least one of their assigned colleges.
Reply 17
Lucy
This year apparently everyone gets interviewed in at least one of their assigned colleges.

i didnt have that luxury last year :frown:
i got my allocated colleges this morning too:
1st choice - Exeter
2nd - St John's
3rd - Merton
they are good so i wouldnt mind going to either of those :smile: however, it seems if you are given a second interview half the time its not even with the allocated colleges anyway
Reply 18
edders
i didnt have that luxury last year :frown:
i got my allocated colleges this morning too:
1st choice - Exeter
2nd - St John's
3rd - Merton
they are good so i wouldnt mind going to either of those :smile: however, it seems if you are given a second interview half the time its not even with the allocated colleges anyway

Cambridge admits more people from the Winter pool than Oxford do, or so I heard; can anyone confirm/deny this?
Reply 19
I got my second and third colleges today- Balliol and Somerville- I'd be happy to go to either of those if I get an offer. I can't believe you get told only 5-7 days before if you get an interview though!

Latest

Trending

Trending