The Student Room Group

Why are we so scared of change?

let me give you a specific example to me.

a new flatmate moved in today. now i've known everyone else for a few months, so we all know where we stand with each other.
i wanted to make friends with this new flatmate, but i just "couldn't".

i dunno why, but i seem so scared of change.
its driving me nuts!

but the thing is if i do something new and it goes wrong, it will shatter my confidence, which is already very low.:mad:

Scroll to see replies

imagine how this new roommate feels, he/she has been shoved in a flat not knowing anyone. Even if you were neurotic i think theyd still want to make friends, it beats being alone.
Reply 2
Determination.
imagine how this new roommate feels, he/she has been shoved in a flat not knowing anyone. Even if you were neurotic i think theyd still want to make friends, it beats being alone.

yeah but the thing is no-one else is going up to them.

suppose:
i go up to them and say hi etc, and then we don't get on.
every single time we see each other in future she'll be thinking what a weirdo i am.
also she'll probably end up being really popular and look down on me:frown:
Reply 3
Im not scared of change i voted obama haha
Reply 4
bavink
Im not scared of change i voted obama haha

lol.
i wish i was as confident as obama
It requires some element of risk. Some people are more risk-taking than others.
Reply 6
*Star*Guitar*
It requires some element of risk. Some people are more risk-taking than others.

but when i think about it, risk taking is stupid, you might as well stick to your comfort zone and be happy.

but thats the thing - something inside of me is a massive risk taker (my heart) but my brain always tells me not too, and usually wins.
Uhhhh!
bodmer123
but when i think about it, risk taking is stupid, you might as well stick to your comfort zone and be happy.

Well its also a risk to stay just as you are; because hindsight may end up showing you that it would have been better to move out of your comfort zone and may show missed opportunities. Staying where you are can breed familiarity and stagnation.
Ever since I came to Uni and really moved out of my comfort zone, its something I always strive to do. I love the fear of it in a weird way, I've done so many things that I wouldn't have done otherwise.
Just look at the film 'the Yes Man'.
Reply 8
bodmer123
let me give you a specific example to me.

a new flatmate moved in today. now i've known everyone else for a few months, so we all know where we stand with each other.
i wanted to make friends with this new flatmate, but i just "couldn't".

i dunno why, but i seem so scared of change.
its driving me nuts!

but the thing is if i do something new and it goes wrong, it will shatter my confidence, which is already very low.:mad:

Most people are afraid of change - some just cover it up better than others. You've just got to go for it though - if you don't, you'll always be wondering what if (not necessarily in the example you've given but in life generally).

And if it all goes wrong, so what? You've not lost anything :smile:
Because sometimes it's not necessary.
Reply 11
I think people are scared of change incase things don't work out and the past ends up being better than the present.
i dont know why change is scary, but it just is.
its scary not knowing what the future holds, but if you go up to this person and say hi, then surley that is makeing the future, and you know where you stand and what is going to happen?
so its less scary?
Reply 13
annadancingirl
i dont know why change is scary, but it just is.
its scary not knowing what the future holds, but if you go up to this person and say hi, then surley that is makeing the future, and you know where you stand and what is going to happen?
so its less scary?

no because she might not like me
Reply 14
Because you're a conservative?:p:
bodmer123
no because she might not like me

but if she doesnt like you, you are no worse off, and at least you know where you stand?
Are you saying no-one else has gone and said hi to her? Go now! How would you feel if you moved into a flat and no-one spoke to you??? How rude are you and your flatmates?!
just take the risk, it shouldnt matter to you if she wont like you, its not like shes some amazing person who everyone adores, and if she doesnt like you no one else will.. you wont lose anything either. And plus what harm is it going to cause if you be polite. Last time i checked by saying hi to someone and being polite and welcoming, it comes out with good outcomes not bad outcomes... who knows what will happen in the future, just take the risk, and be prepared
plus she must be feeling really lonely as noone has said hi to her, make her feel at home, atleast welcome her!
:smile:
Reply 18
Danielle89
Are you saying no-one else has gone and said hi to her? Go now! How would you feel if you moved into a flat and no-one spoke to you??? How rude are you and your flatmates?!

thats unfair calling me rude!
bodmer123
thats unfair calling me rude!

Well it is! To let someone move into your flat and not even go say hello is extremely bad mannered and will have made her feel she's not welcome.

Latest

Trending

Trending