The Student Room Group

Career advice?!

Hi,

Just wanted some general advice so I can see what my options are.

I have always been interested in investing (particularly equities) and business. Investing is a hobby of mine and I enjoy following the markets, stocks etc. However, I never considered following on to study business at University as from my experiences at school I did not find it very challenging, plus lots of my friends who are less academic than myself pursued Business and Management degrees and this kind of led me to think a Business degree would frustrate me.

I am currently reading Dentistry at University, but am not sure that once I graduate this is the career path I want to follow. I have read that Medical graduates have been able to enter good roles within banking, due to the nature of their degree. Would this also be applicable to a graduate Dentist who would have completed very similar course structure to that of a medic.

Just wondered if anyone knew of this happening and whether it was possible.

Thanks for any replies.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maybe. Less to do with your degree, than what you've done already to merit a shot.

1. What year of your degree are you on? You should apply for Spring Weeks (Year before penultimate year), or summer internships (penultimate year) - but its too late so this next year. Take it from there.

2. There's more to banking than 'equities and business' and I'm guessing you don't really know that much about it at all - and you're more attracted by media hype about the career.

Isn't a bit strange to study such a vocational subject for how many years a dentistry degree is, and then go into something completely different? I'm not saying its not possible. But do you actually want to do it?
Didn't the 'Million Dollar Traders' teach you anything?
Reply 3
Just makes you look like you didn't think about your degree choice properly tbh
Reply 4
tomtom:)
Just makes you look like you didn't think about your degree choice properly tbh

Common mate, if you're going to comment, you might as well say something of some use.
Reply 5
Be prepared to answer questions in interviews about "why you chose dentistry if you wanted to get into banking?"
If your interested in running a business and that type, why not stick with dentistry and open your own private surgery in the future?
Reply 6
Dentistry isn't exactly an easy degree so That would help you!
Though i would get as much experience as possible...join societies at uni? :/
Reply 7
Thanks for the helpful replies. I am in my second year.

As for choosing Dentistry, I thought long and hard about it, completed weeks of work experience, got the A-levels I needed and beat the huge competition for the course. I do enjoy it, but career paths are not set in stone, so I wanted to explore my possible options.

CX100

2. There's more to banking than 'equities and business' and I'm guessing you don't really know that much about it at all - and you're more attracted by media hype about the career.

Yes I do recognise there is a lot more to banking. However, as a hobby, my interests lie in equities and businesses.

Didn't the 'Million Dollar Traders' teach you anything?

Did Northern Rock, HBOS, Lloyds and RBS teach you anything?
gangst
Did Northern Rock, HBOS, Lloyds and RBS teach you anything?
Yes, not to work for those companies. Well, maybe except RBS.

Now that I've answered your question, would you be so kind as to repeat the gesture?
Reply 9
uthinkilltellu
Yes, not to work for those companies. Well, maybe except RBS.

Now that I've answered your question, would you be so kind as to repeat the gesture?

'Million Dollar Traders' - You can't learn trading in two weeks.

If your still open to RBS, why not become a civil servant?
gangst
If you are still open to RBS, why not become a civil servant?
(hur hur hur) At the cutting edge of humor you are I see.

Reply 11
Most people I know working in finance didn't study anything related to it - which is kind of a bit worrying if you think about it :wink:
For some reason they seem to go crazy for engineers/scientists, so I think a dentistry degree could work in your favour. All the big companies have recruitment details on their websites if you want to do some research.
Some good careers advice-y stuff here: www.edge.co.uk/knowyouroptions
Reply 12

i cannot believe that somebody paid for that website to be created.
Reply 13
dunno what youre talking about, it works fine for me...
mysterious
Reply 14
Brown_Bateman
i cannot believe that somebody paid for that website to be created.

You may be interested to know that none of the links on your website work. I was interested in

Originally Posted by edge.co.uk

Westwood careers generator
Pimp your career with DJ Tim Westwood

I thought you were joking until I actually clicked on the link.

:eek:
LMAO - yes I need some 50 year old man, who spends his life in the facade that he will forever remain 20, telling me, how I should increase my careers prospects..........clearly b/c he has done so well!

Dawegzzz out.
Inter-Company
LMAO - yes I need some 50 year old man, who spends his life in the facade that he will forever remain 20, telling me, how I should increase my careers prospects..........clearly b/c he has done so well!

Dawegzzz out.

Apparently a "career as a chimney sweep would be a big look for [me]".
Benh842
Apparently a "career as a chimney sweep would be a big look for [me]".

Fo-shizzle bro?

Based on what I am sure is, expert research, behind the career recommendation/decision they have provided you to become a sweeper, I would 'mos def' take it!

How else do you expect to be one of the dawgz?
Inter-Company
Fo-shizzle bro?

Based on what I am sure is, expert research, behind the career recommendation/decision they have provided you to become a sweeper, I would 'mos def' take it!

How else do you expect to be one of the dawgz?

But I'm worried that, with the poor salary, it could well take me several years before I can afford that white Hummer...
Reply 19
OK, so I asked my friend who works for barclays about dentistry grads going into finance, and he said this:
"I think in general that it is a difficult background to come from, particularly into the graduate space right now which will be totally flooded with applicants for too few positions. Sadly this is probably the worst time in at last 20 years to try to get into banking. On the other hand you don’t get anywhere in life without trying. So, my advise would be to apply (why not?) but be realistic about expectations. Beyond that, perhaps supplementing current qualifications with a post-grad course in banking/finance/economics might help, if possible? That would be a great way of improving chances before things (hopefully) pick up next year."
Hope that helps a bit

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending