The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They're doing something similar at the biggest lecture hall in KCL.

Why are Cambridge doing it at the weekend though? I mean, at King's it causes a bit of chaos because people have to change rooms and lecture halls, but who is it going to affect at the weekend?
Reply 2
The demands they're making are pretty ridiculous. One-sided, neo-liberal fools. If I was a paying student and I had to use the faculty to get some work done for tomorrow, I'd be pretty pissed off.
Reply 3
They're making a peaceful protest and it seems they have been sucessful since the BBC have covered it and we are discussing it here. Good for them.
these are probably the same people marching round cambidge last weekend. really quite annoying. and they won't achieve anything at all.
Reply 5
rscully
They're making a peaceful protest and it seems they have been sucessful since the BBC have covered it and we are discussing it here. Good for them.

That's the first big step- getting the media's attention. Now it may put Cambridge under more pressure as they are under the spotlight.
Reply 6
rscully

Not really, because I couldn't give a rats arse about their political views. All it's done, as with other acts of direct action these days, is just made them look like idiots. It won't change anything. All Cambridge have to do is threaten to expell the lot of them. They'll soon shift.
Reply 7
Is appalling that they are forcing an educational institution (and a very respected one at that) to take a political stance. They don't even represent the views of the entire student population of Cambridge.

They should face expulsion, in my opinion. They have no right to drag a place of education into a political sphere.
Reply 8
_lynx_
That's the first big step- getting the media's attention. Now it may put Cambridge under more pressure as they are under the spotlight.

Hang on - why are these people pressuring the university? What the **** does Cambridge university have to do with Gaza?
Reply 9
Mad Vlad
Not really, because I couldn't give a rats arse about their political views. All it's done, as with other acts of direct action these days, is just made them look like idiots. It won't change anything. All Cambridge have to do is threaten to expell the lot of them. They'll soon shift.

I must have missed the part in their mandate that read "to make Mad Vlad give a rats arse".
I think one of our buildings has been occupied. They're "raising awareness" apparently.

Edit: Oh, for goodness sake. http://kcloccupation.blogspot.com/2009/01/leeds-university.html

I hate student activists.
Reply 11
jacketpotato
Hang on - why are these people pressuring the university? What the **** does Cambridge university have to do with Gaza?

I see no particular relations, but they seem to want Cambridge to meet their demands for some reason, instead of doing their own fundraising for books and stuff (i've only read a few of their demands from the facebook group).
Reply 12
I find it highly ironic that these people are occupying the law building of one of the world's most prestigious universities, yet can't understand the need for academic institutions to remain politically neutral.

And if being born in a politically unstable region is grounds for a scholarship to Cambridge, why stop at Gaza? The problems in the rest of the world haven't disappeared just because the media got bored of them.
Reply 13
rscully
I must have missed the part in their mandate that read "to make Mad Vlad give a rats arse".

Well they're obviously doing it to change things. It's not changed my opinion that they're morons. If they think that shenanigans like this garners support, they're wrong. All it does is polarise opinion.

Asteron and illusione have got it spot on. Cambridge is an educational institution. It's not their place to take part in Middle East affairs but these cripples are forcing them to. It's a complete joke. By all means, protest in the street and blow your whistles, as long as it doesn't affect other people's business. Direct action has no place in a modern, democratic society.
jacketpotato
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/7848583.stm

Facebook group here http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=46122018819&ref=mf#/group.php?gid=46122018819 with photos of students sleeping outside and occupying the lecture halls.

Thoughts?
Is this as unbelievably ridiculous as it sounds?

I always find it quite amusing that people would rather do something daft like this instead of actually getting off their arse and doing something meaningful like protesting at the Houses of Parliament or Israeli embassy. I guess the 1hour train ride from Cambridge/London is just too long :colone:

Manchester (I think) amnesty were the best. These hardcore protesters refused to move from a lecture theater and a police team were called and they locked everyone in and said they could come out at any time but if they did they couldn't go back in.

So what did these hardened protesters who cared deeply about their fellow students being slaughtered by merciless Israeli soldiers do? Did they brave the protest for days, being starved out and collapsing and having to be rushed to hospital?

Did they go to the toilet in buckets and limit their movement so as to conserve energy?

Did they?

Lecture theater was cleared in four hours :biggrin:

At warwick (I think) Amnesty booked a room to do a sit in and decided not to leave when their time was up, expecting a university official to come straight away. Four hours later one arrived and they told him they weren't leaving until their demands were met. He shrugged and said okay and didn't bother coming back.

A few hours more of boredom drove them out.

Some protesters tried protesting in another big lecture room somewhere else, but there were 20 of them and about 300/400 seats in the lecture hall so everyone just sat around them and they were sentenced to watching a maths lecture and looking like idiots.

Gotta love amnesty student movement :biggrin:

It irritates me: I feel for the people who go to Gaza and help out. I feel for the lawyers, the diplomats, the soldiers, who work tirelessly to resolve issues and promote freedom and a better world. I admire those who accept that you can't change the world with a protest, you have to compromise, you have to concede because politics is about compromising and conceding. These student movements are about having a good time and feeling good about yourself, not about getting things done.

In order to get things done you have to accept that you can't have everything. By choosing to protest for everything ultimately they gain nothing and waste their time.
Can Cambridge actually do anything about Gaza, though? Not really... I don't understand what the students hope to gain from it other than express their views? :dontknow:
Honestly, if i had lectures and found out someone had overtaken it then I'd soon clear the place out.

I'm not going to university to have my education set back by people disrupting my lecture.

Protest in a public place where you're not pissing you're fellow students off.

I'm saying nothing about my views: whether I share similar or not I think it's unfair.
Reply 17
I don't understand why Cambridge University should possibly be expected to take a stance on the Israel-Gaza conflict whatsoever. Cambridge Students' Union, I can completely understand because SUs are politicized - but the Uni itself?

I consider myself incredibly pro-Palestinian, and even I find this ridiculous.
Reply 18
invictus_veritas
Manchester (I think) amnesty were the best. These hardcore protesters refused to move from a lecture theater and a police team were called and they locked everyone in and said they could come out at any time but if they did they couldn't go back in.

So what did these hardened protesters who cared deeply about their fellow students being slaughtered by merciless Israeli soldiers do? Did they brave the protest for days, being starved out and collapsing and having to be rushed to hospital?

Did they go to the toilet in buckets and limit their movement so as to conserve energy?

Did they?

Lecture theater was cleared in four hours :biggrin:

At warwick (I think) Amnesty booked a room to do a sit in and decided not to leave when their time was up, expecting a university official to come straight away. Four hours later one arrived and they told him they weren't leaving until their demands were met. He shrugged and said okay and didn't bother coming back.

A few hours more of boredom drove them out.

Some protesters tried protesting in another big lecture room somewhere else, but there were 20 of them and about 300/400 seats in the lecture hall so everyone just sat around them and they were sentenced to watching a maths lecture and looking like idiots.

Gotta love amnesty student movement :biggrin:

It irritates me: I feel for the people who go to Gaza and help out. I feel for the lawyers, the diplomats, the soldiers, who work tirelessly to resolve issues and promote freedom and a better world. I admire those who accept that you can't change the world with a protest, you have to compromise, you have to concede because politics is about compromising and conceding. These student movements are about having a good time and feeling good about yourself, not about getting things done.

In order to get things done you have to accept that you can't have everything. By choosing to protest for everything ultimately they gain nothing and waste their time.

Very well said. Remind me to rep you for that.
Reply 19
invictus_veritas

Well, I took park in several rallies to protest against Israel's actions during this conflict. In a place like Manchester, I don't think it's fruitless to show the very large Muslim and Palestinian populations here how much the rest of Manchester cares about what is happening in Gaza, and also to show the government and Manchester City Council that people aren't apathetic about it, and aren't going to settle for their inaction.

I can't go over to Gaza and help people there, I'm not a lawyer or a diplomat or a soldier - I really really hope this doesn't mean I am completely useless to people who are suffering under the tyranny of others, even if they're on the other side of the world. I attempt to help how and when I can, it is awfully cynical to say this is a waste of time. It is an effort which a lot of people don't even bother to show, and I think that's sad.

No-one's talking about protesting about "everything" (although this is maybe a criticism that can be levelled at UMSU), this is just one conflict. The amount of protest and rallying which went on in Manchester, and the amount of money and awareness that was raised here frankly awed me.

Latest

Trending

Trending