The Student Room Group

Sixth Form Help

Where should I go for sixth form?
If I leave my school, my parents will let me have the money from the fees for uni. How difficult does it get, in terms of money at uni?

A: Stay at private school, all girls. Academic, like it and some of the teachers, though I don't have any significant friendships. Have to travel two hours a day.

B: Go to grammar/state school, all girls. Also academic, near to my current school. About the same size as current school. Will have to travel two hours a day.

C: Go to local college, mixed. Okay results, good for a college. Very big. Very near my house.

Should I go? Are there any advantages in staying at my school? How badly would I need the money do you think? I'm quite shy and not sure if I'd settle in to a new place quickly.

My parents are very keen for me to go to a state school as it's free and say that I'm a hard worker and will do well wherever I go... :p: They really don't know me!! Heh, hard worker...
Reply 1
No Future
How difficult does it get, in terms of money at uni?

well, you'll be the top up fees year? so none of us can really predict the impact that'll have on finances. & also, it depends where you go to uni. i can live off my loan adequately, so my parental contribution is under £1,000 per year, which isn't incredibly tight.

A: Stay at private school, all girls. Academic, like it and some of the teachers, though I don't have any significant friendships. Have to travel two hours a day.

sounds slightly lonely to me? & exhausting travelling.. plus, i thought staying at the same school throughout was slightly narrowing your horizons.

B: Go to grammar/state school, all girls. Also academic, near to my current school. About the same size as current school. Will have to travel two hours a day.

it's a selective state school/proper grammar? i can't imagine switching to a new, all girls school would be especially good socially & similar travelling issues..

C: Go to local college, mixed. Okay results, good for a college. Very big. Very near my house.

proximity is good. as is mixed (given how crazy quite a few single sex education people went when they got to uni.. (!)). the big thing..does that worry or excite you? given it's a college, plenty of people won't really know anyone when you all start.. what do you mean by ok results? it probably depends slightly on how motivated you are - i tend to think by the time you reach AS level, the most able, with decent foundations will be able to do pretty well wherever they are (& huge 6th forms normally have pretty amazing resources) - but the more middling types may benefit from the whole smaller classes / 'spoonfeeding'.

hope this may help. i probably show some bias! went through a similar decision set myself, so ended up with 6 form offers at: mixed grammar, all girls independent, 2 state 6th forms & a comp. school 6th form! :p:
I don't see any advantages in moving to the state grammar, to be honest. You'd still have to travel for ages and it'd be similar socially to your school. If you do decide to move, I'd say go for the college. Everyone would be new, so although some may already know each other, it would be quite easy to make friends. It would be a good experience to prepare you for uni, mixing with people from all different backgrounds. At A-level, it's a lot more about how hard you work and how much effort you put in than anything else, but it is a lot more work, so not having to travel would be a huge bonus. The only downside is that your grades may suffer if you had problems settling in, butit would be best to get used to that now. I imagine the money would be a relief as well. You don't have to pay anything back until you're earning £15 000+ a year, but if you already had some money, you could take out a smaller loan and get into less debt, or avoid having to get a part-time job. So all in all, if I were you I'd go for the college, but it's up to you. Good luck deciding :smile:
Reply 3
Staying in your school would be better if I were you because you already get used to the style of teaching and you are with your friends. If you are up for a change, I guess you could move from your private school to a local college because in my opinion, near the house is better than travelling 2 hours to the grammar/state school(i thought state schools was mixed instead of a single gender...). In addition, uni's don't mind where you go to study A-levels anyway.
trev
In addition, uni's don't mind where you go to study A-levels anyway.

Well, there is the whole 'positive discrimination' thing where private school students are supposedly being discriminated against by some universities, but I'm pretty sure you have to list all your secondary schools anyway.
A few of my friends are changing from public to my college because of the wider range in courses and the fact that it is mixed. If it is near to you, then you would meet new friends, who you would live near to see often. But staying at public school wouldn't shake up the whole move. But everyone going on to a college, would be in the same boat as they wouldn't have all known each other before as a sixth form public school would have.
i suppose its different for different people.
i go to a state school 6th form, just because thats where i did years 7-11.
i wish i'd left now because one minute they're treating you like children and don't let you leave the premesis, even at lunch time, and the next minute it all changes, none of your teachers turn up for lessons and you end up spending most of your time at home!
that might just be my school, but i get the feeling they're more focused on GCSEs.
Reply 7
I think the most important thing in this is what do you want to do, for yourself. Forget what everyone else wants or is telling you to do, think about what it is you feel personally would be better for you.
Reply 8
go for the state mixed sixth form. It'll be a whole new social scene, new people etc, and a new experience for you as it'll be very different from your current school. Dont worry about making friends etc, as everyone will be new! The money that your parents will save will definitely come in handy at uni, although you wont have to pay upfront fees, all the students i know are ALWAYS broke.
kellywood_5
Well, there is the whole 'positive discrimination' thing where private school students are supposedly being discriminated against by some universities, but I'm pretty sure you have to list all your secondary schools anyway.

That is very true, and it could be a factor in your final decision but I wouldn't allow it to override other considerations. Go where you will be happy - and if you feel like a change of school/friendship groups, then go for it. Why not visit the school beforehand too, so you can get a 'feel' for the place? Good luck with deciding anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending