The Student Room Group

Electronic engineering

Hello,

I'm looking at doing a degree with a foundation year in Electronic Engineering.

I'm gonna be a mature student (23) and the only qualifications I have are GCSE's (I got 7 A-C) I have worked in the IT industry so have some working experience involving electronic products and I've always had an interest in pretty much anything electronic.

GCSEs

Information Studies A
English Literature B
Science Double Award B
D&T : Electronics C
English Speaking C
Maths C
Geography D
German F

How hard is it gonna be for me go get onto a foundation year course? I'm prepared to swat up on my maths etc before I start the course but will I find it a lot harder to be accepted compared with someone whose just finished their A levels?

Can anyone give me some advice on this.

Also I don't really know what I'm looking for when I look at courses offered by universities. I know that Southampton university is very good as my friend from school did a degree there but does that mean its going to be almost impossible for me to be accepted?

Thanks in advance!
OK, congrats on your coming back to education. :smile:

sandwichmonster
Hello,

I'm looking at doing a degree with a foundation year in Electronic Engineering.

I'm gonna be a mature student (23) and the only qualifications I have are GCSE's (I got 7 A-C) I have worked in the IT industry so have some working experience involving electronic products and I've always had an interest in pretty much anything electronic.

GCSEs

Information Studies A
English Literature B
Science Double Award B
D&T : Electronics C
English Speaking C
Maths C
Geography D
German F

How hard is it gonna be for me go get onto a foundation year course? I'm prepared to swat up on my maths etc before I start the course but will I find it a lot harder to be accepted compared with someone whose just finished their A levels?

Can anyone give me some advice on this.

First, if you do a foundation year, you're unlikely to face any major difficulties in the main course. I suggest you go through the A-level Maths C1-C4 books, which will help you to fine-tune your maths skills.

The main point of the foundation year is to enable people who don't have science A-levels to study Engineering. Since you don't have any A-levels, please check with your preferred universities regarding their requirements.

Also I don't really know what I'm looking for when I look at courses offered by universities. I know that Southampton university is very good as my friend from school did a degree there but does that mean its going to be almost impossible for me to be accepted?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, Southampton is one of the best universities for electronic engineering, and so getting accepted is very competitive. But there are hordes of other, equally good unis like Loughborough, Manchester, Nottingham, Leicester, Surrey and so on. You should check out with as many unis as possible since your qualifications aren't standard.

Good luck! :smile:
Cool, I've been looking at ucas and Uni websites and putting together a list of unis that do foundation years.

Someone told me that a good thing to do through ucas is apply to 2 top Unis, 1 pretty good and 2 not so great. Is that a good idea?
Reply 3
In general yes. But u have no A levels so you should really forget about top 4-5. You have some or big chance at unis like Loughborough Bath Nottingham Newcastle Sheffield Manchester Edinburgh Liverpool Surrey Leeds Swansea Cardiff Glasgow(could have forgotten some but these are all decent Engineering unis with moderately high entry requirements). Just choose five of this type of unis and I think you can get probably 2 offers. In general I advice to aim for the top but with your qualifications it is going to be impossible to get into Imperial and Southampton even for a foundation year. But there are some good eng unis to choose from :smile:
I love Lufbra engineering but I dont know how is the foundation year here :?

Latest