The Student Room Group

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/M.E. Society

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone else here had CBT therapy?

Im not really happy about this, I go to the doctor because the pain is so bad and this is what I get. I could understand if I hadn't tried talking therapies before but I have several times and its never worked so I don't see why this would be any different. I asked for painkillers and was refused, Im on a second course of antibiotics for kidney infections but I'm still not allowed any painkillers. Not only that but my consultant wrote to my GP and they must already have the letter because I got mine last week. She basically just ignored everything that was on it and won't help me because she seems to think its all psychological. Im not even willing to co operate in CBT, it won't work and its just a waste of my energy getting to the appointment
Reply 441
Just wondering if anyone has tried Tyrisone? I tried it a week ago and have felt just about normal ever since after a few bad bouts this year.. My mum had it too and has felt loads better. Been doing loads of research on hormones and stuff, and although it wont be applicable to everyone it might help.

Personally, I haven't heard good things about CBT but it has helped some people apparently. If you don't want to do it, you shouldnt be forced to, and maybe see if you can find a doctor who takes you seriously? I hope your kidneys get better! I got ill to begin with after a kidney infection, not fun. Try and take it easy if you can x
Original post by DollyMaii.x
Has anyone else here had CBT therapy?
CBT is good for you if you know how to use it or have the patience for it to work.. Otherwise you find yourself going round in circles in your thought process. I didn't get on with it as it felt a bit like I wasn't myself in the thought process. Difficult to explain.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx this might help you to understand it a bit better and if it will suit you.
Original post by jisici
Just wondering if anyone has tried Tyrisone? I tried it a week ago and have felt just about normal ever since after a few bad bouts this year.. My mum had it too and has felt loads better. Been doing loads of research on hormones and stuff, and although it wont be applicable to everyone it might help.

Personally, I haven't heard good things about CBT but it has helped some people apparently. If you don't want to do it, you shouldnt be forced to, and maybe see if you can find a doctor who takes you seriously? I hope your kidneys get better! I got ill to begin with after a kidney infection, not fun. Try and take it easy if you can x

Thank you, I really think I do need to register with a new GP, this means I will have to go to another surgery but this can't really carry on.

Original post by Quiet _One86
CBT is good for you if you know how to use it or have the patience for it to work.. Otherwise you find yourself going round in circles in your thought process. I didn't get on with it as it felt a bit like I wasn't myself in the thought process. Difficult to explain.

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx this might help you to understand it a bit better and if it will suit you.

Thanks quiet one, I will go to the first session this week but if I don't like it I won't be going to anymore x
Thank you, I really think I do need to register with a new GP, this means I will have to go to another surgery but this can't really carry on.

Thanks quiet one, I will go to the first session this week but if I don't like it I won't be going to anymore x

Good luck sweet, and be sure to keep us in the loop as it happens. Know you've been so strong of late and you know you have. You've gotta find a doc that supports your needs and demands :smile: you're owed that much. Take care and stay strong!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Good luck sweet, and be sure to keep us in the loop as it happens. Know you've been so strong of late and you know you have. You've gotta find a doc that supports your needs and demands :smile: you're owed that much. Take care and stay strong!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks quiet one xx

Well I had my appointment with my new clinic, they seem nice and are going to put me through a six to eight week plan of different therapies to try and help improve my health. I have to go for some more assessments the week after next though. I also have been referred to a chronic pain clinic to see if they have an suggestions with regards to my leg pains and headaches.

Ive been to the doctor this morning about my letter from the consultant and she thinks it will be a good idea to try antidepressants for a while to see if that will help me cope better with how Im feeling. She gave me some information and told me to phone her at the beginning of next week to let her know what I think. After reading the booklet I think it really is for the best to at least try them.
Thanks quiet one xx

Well I had my appointment with my new clinic, they seem nice and are going to put me through a six to eight week plan of different therapies to try and help improve my health. I have to go for some more assessments the week after next though. I also have been referred to a chronic pain clinic to see if they have an suggestions with regards to my leg pains and headaches.

Ive been to the doctor this morning about my letter from the consultant and she thinks it will be a good idea to try antidepressants for a while to see if that will help me cope better with how Im feeling. She gave me some information and told me to phone her at the beginning of next week to let her know what I think. After reading the booklet I think it really is for the best to at least try them.

Thanks great to hear, and welcome. I hope that things are finally on the up for you. Talk soon, and maybe this side of 2014 we get to meet up and catch up properly. Take care and good luck with the meds. Which ones are you being put on?
Im starting Fluoxetine tomorrow, my doctor is giving me the dissolvable ones as she only wants me to start on half a dose due to me being so sensitive to medication.

I went to my CBT session last week and it actually wasn't that bad, my therapist is really nice and she's completely on my level which I like, I don't know if it is going to work but I think I will give it a go now.
Im starting Fluoxetine tomorrow, my doctor is giving me the dissolvable ones as she only wants me to start on half a dose due to me being so sensitive to medication.

I went to my CBT session last week and it actually wasn't that bad, my therapist is really nice and she's completely on my level which I like, I don't know if it is going to work but I think I will give it a go now.

Thats great news Doll. Hope it works out for you as you need something to as we know its been a very bumpy ride. News for me but I'll PM you later about it :biggrin:
Reply 449
Ahhh so happy to find this <3 I've just finished CBT but having such a hard time at uni getting people to understand what's going on with me. Everyone in the CBT group was a lot older and it's hard to get lecturers and friends to understand what CFS is when they just think you're being a typical student. 'But all students sleep all the ti-' LET ME STOP YOU RIGHT THERE.
Ooh hadn't noticed this thread before! Does anyone else have the problem of not sleeping enough? Like last night was the first night I've slept for more than about three hours in several weeks, and some nights I haven't slept at all :redface: When I do sleep though it makes no difference to my energy levels anyway (I guess that's kind of the nature of CFS!) just makes me a bit less tired maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by furryface12
Ooh hadn't noticed this thread before! Does anyone else have the problem of not sleeping enough? Like last night was the first night I've slept for more than about three hours in several weeks, and some nights I haven't slept at all :redface: When I do sleep though it makes no difference to my energy levels anyway (I guess that's kind of the nature of CFS!) just makes me a bit less tired maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's one of the many symptoms we have with CFS. I recommend mindfulness meditation. Have a set night bedtime routine does amazingly for me now!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's one of the many symptoms we have with CFS. I recommend mindfulness meditation. Have a set night bedtime routine does amazingly for me now!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, will try that! The only other people I know/have heard of with CFS sleep too much, so it's nice to know I'm not abnormal for not getting enough. I'm struggling more with pain, dizziness and brainfog at the minute but getting some sleep would be nice too and might also help the others :colondollar:
Thanks, will try that! The only other people I know/have heard of with CFS sleep too much, so it's nice to know I'm not abnormal for not getting enough. I'm struggling more with pain, dizziness and brainfog at the minute but getting some sleep would be nice too and might also help the others :colondollar:

Feel free to PM or I can drop u a message and add you to a Facebook support group me and doll are a part of :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BioIz
Ahhh so happy to find this <3 I've just finished CBT but having such a hard time at uni getting people to understand what's going on with me. Everyone in the CBT group was a lot older and it's hard to get lecturers and friends to understand what CFS is when they just think you're being a typical student. 'But all students sleep all the ti-' LET ME STOP YOU RIGHT THERE.

Hi, I'm at uni with CFS too so trust me I feel your pain, my lecturers know about my condition but there isn't really much they can do about it. I haven't told any of my new friends about it, they know something is up as I am off attending hospital appointments all the time but they don't actually know what the problem is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have terrible problem with sleep so you're not alone, in fact it is quite a common problem among CFS sufferers! I second the mindfulness meditation, only thing with it is that you have to really work at it to stay focused, and it can be quite time consuming to begin with. If you have the opportunity I would definitely give it a shot though :smile:
Hi, I'm at uni with CFS too so trust me I feel your pain, my lecturers know about my condition but there isn't really much they can do about it. I haven't told any of my new friends about it, they know something is up as I am off attending hospital appointments all the time but they don't actually know what the problem is.

I have terrible problem with sleep so you're not alone, in fact it is quite a common problem among CFS sufferers! I second the mindfulness meditation, only thing with it is that you have to really work at it to stay focused, and it can be quite time consuming to begin with. If you have the opportunity I would definitely give it a shot though :smile:

Ok, thanks! I'll give it a go sometime then if I can :yep: I only really know one other person with it and them not very well, so I kind of just go by what I've found googling things :redface: It's good to see someone getting through uni with it too, worried about that- I didn't go this year mostly because of my CFS and other health stuff, and worried about starting next year. Getting through A2 was bad enough and half killed me!

Feel free to PM or I can drop u a message and add you to a Facebook support group me and doll are a part of :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, must have missed this! :colondollar: Will do that now, thanks :smile:

Edit: I can't see how to PM you for some reason? It only has the 'my stats' page on your profile as far as I can tell!
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry, must have missed this! :colondollar: Will do that now, thanks :smile:

Edit: I can't see how to PM you for some reason? It only has the 'my stats' page on your profile as far as I can tell!

Dropped you a message, hope that it works and if not let me know, in that you never received anything. But hope you're ok and that we can get the ball rolling :smile:
Original post by Foo.mp3
That's a little strange, in ME/CFS we usually have OI, meaning that we experience blood pressure drops that may be associated with dizziness when standing

I've sometimes 'passed out' when getting up out of a hot bath too quick, or having had a large/carb rich lunch when I've been in a relapse state, but sitting down should really have the opposite effect :beard:

I'd consult your doctor and have your BP/HR taken in different positions if I were you

Have you looked into POTS as that's what happens to me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Does anyone have any tips on uni interviews?
I have 2 interviews to attend (possibly 3 as haven't heard back from 1 yet) and I'm not really sure how I'm going to cope going to them, as the traveling/stress etc is gonna make my symptoms worse
Original post by charlotto
Does anyone have any tips on uni interviews?
I have 2 interviews to attend (possibly 3 as haven't heard back from 1 yet) and I'm not really sure how I'm going to cope going to them, as the traveling/stress etc is gonna make my symptoms worse

Could you ask them to make it early in the day? I had one last year right towards the end after having a campus tour and some talks and things so that by the time I got to the interview it was all I could do to just not pass out! I did manage to explain to them afterwards though and got an offer in the end, and a low one too (not that I then got the grades anyway!). Other than that, just go down the day before if possible and try and stay as calm as you can, although definitely easier said than done that bit :redface:

On a similar note, one of my unis is likely to (if they give me an interview) give me an interview, audition and admissions test all on the same day. If I explain my circumstances, does anyone know if they might move one to the day before or after for me? Whilst far from ideal it'd hopefully make things a little bit easier...

Quick Reply

Latest