The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Alcohol5%
How can I get chemistry based work experience? Who do I go to, the only big company near me is AstraZeneca, do they do any?

Cheers

Yes but its virtually impossible to get them
Reply 2
Alcohol5%
How can I get chemistry based work experience? Who do I go to, the only big company near me is AstraZeneca, do they do any?

Cheers

It might not be quite what you are looking for, but you could try asking your local hospital if they have any work experience positions in their labs - its not specifically chemistry related but it is lab experience which may be useful to you in the future.

If its more chemical industry related experience you want, it may be worth looking at smaller local based companies that may take you on for a week.
Reply 3
I Should also say that it doesn't seem to matter when applying for uni
Reply 4
Also it may be worth waiting for the end of your first year at uni and get some experience during the holidays - industry related work experience probably looks better to prospective employers than it does prospective universities (I had no related work experience and got offers from all 6 of my uni's for chemistry) - you'll also find that when you're at uni it'll be easier to find work experience, as you're at degree level and some of your tutors may have links to certain companies, and can recommend you.
cobra01977
Yes but its virtually impossible to get them

That's not true! Send them off a letter, it can't hurt.

Luckily I lived in a place with a few small chemical companies so I got some good experience each summer.

Latest

Trending

Trending