The Student Room Group

Calling all Edinburgh residents!

I visited Edinburgh over christmas for a few days and stayed in the old town and really loved it...

Basically I am looking to move to Edinburgh this year... Can anyone who lives there already give me any tips on nice areas to live in? Or does any one have any idea of accommodation prices in the old town area?

I am also really fond of the Grassmarket/Victoria Street area but am guessing the prices are high here perhaps??

I am not really looking for student accommodation either because I have lived in student flats for three years already.. I realise this is a student website, just thought there might be people who have lived there a while

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Well, yes, living in the very centre is quite expensive, I would imagine - apparently second only to London. However the further south you go from the Royal Mile area then the cheaper it inevitably becomes. If you want both reasonableness and the ability to quite easily walk into the centre, then Newington, Marchmont, Merchiston and some bits of Fountainbridge would probably be pretty ideal and still maintain some of the Old Town charm - they are, however, a bit studenty in parts, if that's a problem for you.

If you actually want to live within spitting distance of the upper end of the Royal Mile, then yes, you're going to have to pay for it - that's not however to say that you won't be able to pick something up. But also remember, it will be busy at all hours, and it's entirely possible you'll end up completely sick of the sight of tourists.

Afraid I can't really help you with prices, I'm a bit financially useless. For the benefit of others though, are you looking to rent or to buy?
Maybe portobello. It is only a 20 minute bus trip away from the town centre and isn't expensive I don't think.
You don't need to go as far out as portobello. Leith rents are about £50-100 cheaper for a 2 bedroom flat than elsewhere, and it's actually a nice part of town, especially closer to the centre (I only say this because it has a terrible reputation from long ago). It's not studenty either. The haymarket is also lovely and a bit less expensive as it's further from the big uni. If you want a house, Abbeyhill (around the back of arthurs seat), liberton and costorphine are all pretty close to town although abbeyhill is probably the only one you could walk from. Try gumtree or rightmove for a peek. It's a capital city, there's plenty places that aren't studenty.
Reply 4
Don't live in the Grassmarket. Bruntsfield and Morningside are about 20 minute walk to the centre. All the building are really beautiful and have amazing high ceilings. There are some good resturtants in this area as well and you about 10 minutes walk from 3 cinemas and the meadows, which is very cool in summer with the festival going on.
Masucha
Don't live in the Grassmarket. Bruntsfield and Morningside are about 20 minute walk to the centre. All the building are really beautiful and have amazing high ceilings. There are some good resturtants in this area as well and you about 10 minutes walk from 3 cinemas and the meadows, which is very cool in summer with the festival going on.

Ditto on don't live in the grassmarket, I work there and it really wouldn't be a nice place to live... I've never lived in Leith but I'm told its really nice to live in and not expensive. I'm in Musselburgh/ Portobello at the mo and they're a bit far out.
Reply 6
I also agree that the Old Town is probably far too expensive. Leith is ok, much cheaper is obviously an advantage. I'm out in East Lothian like some others, it is much, much, much cheaper than being in town, the train into Waverly is only 15 minutes, and the bus about 45, all direct journeys. I suppose it depends how much you want to be in the centre of town, the surrounding areas of Midlothian/East Lothian are really nice and cheaper, it just depends whether you'd be willing to commute.

ETA: I assume you're a student, seeing as you've lived in student flats before? TBH unless you've just got loads of money or a bank manager at your back side, it's probably not even worth looking at the centre of town.
Reply 7
alibertine
I also agree that the Old Town is probably far too expensive.

I woulden't live in the old town, because it's not really a liveable place, its not the nicest part of Edinburgh and it will be pretty much noisey every night because it is where most of Edinburghs Clubs are and there are many student nights and no double glazing so will also be freezing. New Town is hands the most expensive part of the City and its quite stunning, but you won't find too many young people there.

Edinburgh has a stange structure of very very nice places in the middle and then not so far out it changes very rapidly, Niddrie is only about 20 minutes away by bus.

The Area south central has a large student population, but its definitly not a student area, there is a good mix, pleanty of schools, a childrens hospital, good shopping, Swimming pool and is pretty affordable.

I coulden't comment on places further away though.
Reply 8
are you looking to rent or to buy?

My dad got onto the property ladder recently so he has mentioned that he might consider buying a place (long term investment) which I can rent split rent with my other half and then get other people to rent a second/third room...

Thats why I'm looking into it, it is just a possibility! If not i'll just be renting..

The haymarket is also lovely and a bit less expensive as it's further from the big uni

I'm guessing you mean The Edinburgh uni.. I have been offered a place at Heriot Watt - but I am aware that its about 40mins away from city centre so I just need to be somewhere near the main bus routes i guess!

Bruntsfield and Morningside are about 20 minute walk to the centre. All the building are really beautiful and have amazing high ceilings.
Will check these out they sound lovely!
Reply 9
Thanks for your advice everyone! Gonna start a bit of research now... We stayed in Argyle Backpackers in Argyle place just next to a big park that we had to walk through to get to the city - it was really pretty with loads of independent local grocery stores and shops etc think thats why I was attracted to it so much - I think thats the old town anyway
Reply 10
shantaram2

Will check these out they sound lovely!

Morningside and Bruntsfield are lovely but they are uber expensive. My school was in Morningside and to put it this way the people that lived there had parents driving Porches and the like :p:

Nah it's not quite that bad but at the peak it was around £500 000 for a 3 bedroom house. WIll be cheaper now but it's certainly not going to be a bargain.

As for walking distance it's 15-20 mins to town and bus links to town are good but don't think they would get you to Heriot Watt.

If you are going out to Heriot Watt try Gorgie or Dalry maybe? Their are some nice houses there and it's 20 mins walk to town and the buses to Heriott Watt ( 25 I think was the main one ) drive past there.

If you want somewhere cheap maybe look at Sighthill? Having lived there for 5 years it's not the nicest place around but it's not as bad as it's reputation makes out
Reply 11
Nah it's not quite that bad but at the peak it was around £500 000 for a 3 bedroom house. WIll be cheaper now but it's certainly not going to be a bargain.

Blimey indeed! i don't think he'll be looking to spend that much haha!

I guess when I say I dont want to be living in a really studenty area I just mean I don't want to be surrounded by meat market nightclubs! Prefer the 'oldman' pub types, spent some time in the forest cafe and sandy bells pub - lovely little places!

If you are going out to Heriot Watt try Gorgie or Dalry maybe? Their are some nice houses there and it's 20 mins walk to town and the buses to Heriott Watt ( 25 I think was the main one ) drive past there.

That sounds quite good - I have to keep my boyfriend in mind as he is going to be looking for fulltime work so we need to compromise :smile:
Reply 12
shantaram2

I guess when I say I dont want to be living in a really studenty area I just mean I don't want to be surrounded by meat market nightclubs! Prefer the 'oldman' pub types, spent some time in the forest cafe and sandy bells pub - lovely little places!

The only place you will get that is living around Northbridge and especially on the Cowgate. The Cowgate is just bars and clubs!

shantaram2

That sounds quite good - I have to keep my boyfriend in mind as he is going to be looking for fulltime work so we need to compromise :smile:

The only real problem with Gorgie is that Tyncastle ( home of Hearts the football club ) is slap bang in the middle so at home matches the streets are packed with football fans. Dalry is a bit nicer though. Hang on try Fountainbridge? Their are some really nice flats around there and it's 5-10 mins from town by car. It will only be 5-10 mins to get to the bus stops for the 25 as well. Their are buses that go from there to the Airport ( 35 ) but not sure if they go past Heriot Watt.
Yeh, Gorgie really isn't the nicest part of the city. I'm not quite sure what buses go to HW, I tihnk you should maybe look at the buses, see where they leave from and go from there. I had HW as a reserve but even though I live around Edinburgh, it just seemed like a nightmare to get to. I'm sure it's not as difficult and I thought it was but I'd look at that first ha
Reply 14
I had HW as a reserve but even though I live around Edinburgh, it just seemed like a nightmare to get to. I'm sure it's not as difficult and I thought it was but I'd look at that first ha

Yeah I think I might be a mission also... I have also applied for Napier but haven't heard back from them yet... what uni did you go to instead?
Reply 15
alibertine
Yeh, Gorgie really isn't the nicest part of the city. I'm not quite sure what buses go to HW, I tihnk you should maybe look at the buses, see where they leave from and go from there. I had HW as a reserve but even though I live around Edinburgh, it just seemed like a nightmare to get to. I'm sure it's not as difficult and I thought it was but I'd look at that first ha

Oi you! I lived in Gorgie for 5 years! I also lived in Clovenstone for over 4 years until I moved to Aberdeen. Gorgie > Clovenstone :wink: It's not that bad if you choose some of the nicer housing there. The flats on Gorgie road aren't bad tbh. It's more the banana flats around Westfield that are a bit rougher ( I know since I went to Nursery there and my dad is the Janitor at the Nursery! )

I think Fountainbridge is probably the nicest area that isn't very expensive. Portobello and Musselborough are nice but too far out. Leith is OK for bus access but personally I wouldn't want to live there
Reply 16
shantaram2
Yeah I think I might be a mission also... I have also applied for Napier but haven't heard back from them yet... what uni did you go to instead?

If you go to Napier which campus will you be at? Their is one on Colinton Road just down from Morningside and one at Craiglockhart as well I remember...
Reply 17
If you go to Napier which campus will you be at? Their is one on Colinton Road just down from Morningside and one at Craiglockhart as well I remember...

hmmm I'm not sure, its marine biology so school of life sciences, the riccarton campus?
Keeno89
Oi you! I lived in Gorgie for 5 years! I also lived in Clovenstone for over 4 years until I moved to Aberdeen.

haha sorry, not a Hearts fan :wink: Nah, just my friend had a flat in Gorgie and it was absolutely tiny! I haven't been in many others around there. I've never lived in the centre of Edbinrugh, Aberdeen is the only city I've lived in. My sister used to have a flat at the end of Chamber's street, on the corner opposite Blackwells and it was amazing, but I can imagine how much it must've cost!

ETA: There always seems to be plenty of buses going to Riccarton. Any Napier campus is substantially easier to get to than HW though!
Reply 19
shantaram2
hmmm I'm not sure, its marine biology so school of life sciences, the riccarton campus?

Ah that's the one on Colinton Road. It's quite easy to get to so no worries there.

Latest

Trending

Trending