The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If you stayed at the Argyle Backpacking Hostel then you were in Marchmont. You might well be able to find something in Marchmont or Newington that's within range. We rent on the border between Marchmont and Newington, but I checked when the flat last sold, and it cost £171,000 at the end of 2006. That's a for reasonable sized 2 bed flat with good living room, kitchen and bath and 15 minutes from Princes Street and 7 minutes from the university. This sort of area would place you amply for any of Edinburgh universities. Don't bother moving to the outer suburbs of Edinburgh - you can get that sort of thing in any number of cities in the UK. Living in the centre of town is a good experience.
Reply 21
alibertine
haha sorry, not a Hearts fan :wink: Nah, just my friend had a flat in Gorgie and it was absolutely tiny! I haven't been in many others around there. I've never lived in the centre of Edbinrugh, Aberdeen is the only city I've lived in. My sister used to have a flat at the end of Chamber's street, on the corner opposite Blackwells and it was amazing, but I can imagine how much it must've cost!

ETA: There always seems to be plenty of buses going to Riccarton. Any Napier campus is substantially easier to get to than HW though!

Yeah my flat in Gorgie was quite small too but I am sure that there are bigger places around.

Living on Chambers street sounds pretty awesome. All the best bits of town are up that way and you can visit the museum any time you want :ninja:

As I said the Life Sciences Campus is on Colinton Road judging by their website. So getting one of the many buses to Holy Corner won't be difficult and it's only a few mins walk from there.

I miss living in Edinburgh. Aberdeen is so dull in comparison.
The only thing I prefer about Aberdeen is a I don't have to muck about with taxis and buses if I want to go out at night and stuff. I live in Dunbar when I'm home, and there is no way but taxi to get here after 10pm and it costs a fortune in taxis! Only downside to being in East Lothian.
Reply 23
Ah that's the one on Colinton Road. It's quite easy to get to so no worries there.

Thats a relief, even though I havent heard anything back from Napier yet I have been advised by two marine biologists that HW was a good one to go for... I'd hate to have to put travel convenience first before the course itself
Reply 24
You might well be able to find something in Marchmont or Newington that's within range. We rent on the border between Marchmont and Newington, but I checked when the flat last sold, and it cost £171,000 at the end of 2006. That's a for reasonable sized 2 bed flat with good living room, kitchen and bath and 15 minutes from Princes Street and 7 minutes from the university. This sort of area would place you amply for any of Edinburgh universities. Don't bother moving to the outer suburbs of Edinburgh - you can get that sort of thing in any number of cities in the UK. Living in the centre of town is a good experience.

Thank you thats really helpful!! I really loved that area thought the meadows were beautiful!
Reply 25
Keeno89
Morningside and Bruntsfield are lovely but they are uber expensive. My school was in Morningside and to put it this way the people that lived there had parents driving Porches and the like :p:

Nah it's not quite that bad but at the peak it was around £500 000 for a 3 bedroom house. WIll be cheaper now but it's certainly not going to be a bargain.

This seems reasonable.
click register later
http://www.primelocation.com/uk-property-for-sale/details/id/HNMO269381
gorgie is where the party is at.
Reply 27
i live in blackhall which is a nice little area, takes bout 15-20mins to get to town by bus. its very residential though, with a lot of retired people and young families.

i would suggest the haymarket or fountainbridge area which are kinda near each other. its near to town but at the west end- i think thats better than going to leith side... public transport is gonna be proper messed up with all the tram works etc, so would be easier getting to heriot watt.
Reply 28
public transport is gonna be proper messed up with all the tram works etc, so would be easier getting to heriot watt.

Do you mean it would be easier getting to napier? I thought napier was more central? If I am correct... The Heriot Watt Edinburgh/Riccarton Campus is about 6 miles from the Marchmont and Meadows area?

I do have a car but was hoping that living in a city I could get away with not having one! Maybe I will need one when the trams are being put in - we got told about that over christmas!

Latest

Trending

Trending