The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Best Halls of Residence? (The Big Accommodation Choices Thread Mark II)

This is the second incarnation of this thread, the old one can be found here (includes some pictures of residences), but be aware that some of the info is out of date by now

It's that time of year again... offers are being sent out, and those of you who are hoping to come next year (or not to come, if Manchester is your insurance) are thinking about which halls to throw away a year of your life in.

If you're trying to decide on those three choices, take a look on the info around on the site (some of which is linked to below), search through the thread to see what people in your situation did, and then post.

If you've already decided, feel free to post and say why.

Section on the Wiki about halls
The Accomodation website and online copy of the brochure
Search for halls that fufill certain criteria

Self catered or catered?
City Centre vs. Fallowfield
Having people staying over in Manc accommodation?
Meals in catered halls
Equipment in self-catered halls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hiya what are your thoughts on this... i really dont know personally i would be happy with either :-/ whats the catered food like and in your experiences is the inconviencesof having to eat at set times better than having to take time to bother to cook for yourself?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Depends on what kind of person you are...

Catered- Want to be on Campus, and have a bit more money as it is more expesive then self-catered, food depends on what hall you are in and the Uni!!

Self-catered- Good if you are an outgoing person, as the people you are landed with, you will have to live with, + less pricy than catered, food is sometimes scarce depends how keen you (or others) are on cooking

...oh btw how do you make your own threads!?
Reply 3
just click new thread button on the list of topics page.

i am very outgoing, cant cook for ****, but could learn. think it might b a gd thing but its just the time factor, i hate junk food aswell which might get annoying
Reply 4
God dam it i am lame, still don't get you, new threads button on the list of topics page!?
Reply 5
im in selfcatered. At first i would make food now i just go the chippy or eat salad. But im a lazy bugger and im out 24/7 partying/drinking/partying and drinking.

Iv heard alot of people complaining about catered cos the foods rank.
Searlerc
God dam it i am lame, still don't get you, new threads button on the list of topics page!?

Here:
Reply 7
I defintely prefer self catered - its not difficult/time consuming to cook simple, healthy meals, also you can cook whenever you feel like..and yeah, going shopping can be abit of a pain..but if you all club together in a car/get a taxi if you are doing a big shop its not too bad, you will have to do it next year anyway.

Catered halls only have specific eating times so if you arent there, you dont eat really unless you pay more..i know some of the halls like OP dont have meals at the weekends, so you have to fnd for yourself anyway, its probably more sociable, but i know i am glad i got self catering.
Reply 8
Hmm I'm a first year in self catered accomodation and really regret it. Yeah its nice to cook what you want and it CAN work out cheaper but in saying that I've got a friend who spends a fortune on takeaways and her weekly shop consists of pizza, ben and jerrys, crisps and general rubbish and she regularly spends £30+ a week (obviously not in one go). I've never been the tidiest of people but coming here our kitchen is disgusting and if you have any ideas of all sharing etc. it probably won't work-I'm yet to find a flat where it does. The washing up never gets done the bin's overflowing- its really not nice AND thats our only social space so its not really somewhere you want to be. You get common rooms in catered.

You have your whole life to be self catered- i say go catered for the first year. It may not be great food but its really sociable-everyone goes to dinner together and catered accomodation tends to be more styled like boarding school with corridors than the blocks of flats for self catered. Plus its just one less thing to worry about when your a student. You know that at x o clock you go and get given food rather than having to plan ahead. From what i've heard you get a pretty decent choice of food so you'll always find something you can eat.

I wish i'd gone catered.:rolleyes:
how far of a walk is whitworth park from the city centre? ...say, like around where primark and piccadilly gardens are?
Reply 10
What's the general concensus around Woolton Hall? Im thinking of making it my first priority accomodation :smile: Is it a nice area? Due to it being in Fallowfields, im guessing it's quite a sociable area?

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 11
rainbow drops
how far of a walk is whitworth park from the city centre? ...say, like around where primark and piccadilly gardens are?

about 30 mins walk
rainbow drops

Mon-Fri you can get the 147 bus (free to students) from outside the SU to Sackville Street, which is close to the city centre, so it cuts out a bit of the walk.
ahhh cool, thanks. also, if anyone knows, how far is it from the english faculty?

i'm so eager, haha. i love the look of manchester so much.
Reply 14
rainbow drops
ahhh cool, thanks. also, if anyone knows, how far is it from the english faculty?

i'm so eager, haha. i love the look of manchester so much.

about half a minute away, and that's if you stroll. whitworth park is basically IN the oxford road campus, and that's where you'll be for lectures and seminars. you won't necessarily be in our lovely english building itself though, unfortunately :no:

the only time I wish I lived somewhere other than oak house is when my alarm beeps at 8a.m. on a monday morning, and I realise that many of my fellow english scholars will be snoozing it up in whitworth park for another 45 minutes.
biotoxic
What's the general concensus around Woolton Hall? Im thinking of making it my first priority accomodation :smile: Is it a nice area? Due to it being in Fallowfields, im guessing it's quite a sociable area?

Thanks! :smile:

again full of rahs and has a jack **** social life
Hey, i wanted to know if you have to move out of accommodation during the holidays here or is the contract for the whole year? cuz some unis make you move out during xmas and easter hols.
Also if anyone had any advice for where would be a good place for someone doing pharmacy, where would be closest?
Thank you! :smile:
Reply 17
It depends. All university halls can be stayed in over christmas however some cannot be stayed in over easter. Check the length of the contract 38 or 40 weeks.
Reply 18
SupaStar*AmZi
Hey, i wanted to know if you have to move out of accommodation during the holidays here or is the contract for the whole year? cuz some unis make you move out during xmas and easter hols.
Also if anyone had any advice for where would be a good place for someone doing pharmacy, where would be closest?
Thank you! :smile:

I am currently in Owens Park and it is Christmas and nobody is making me move out.
And secondly, choosing your hall based on its proximity to the campus, well it is kind of pointless. Even the stuff that is farthest away- Fallowfield- is only a 10-15 minute bus ride away.
Reply 19
Fallowfield campus is pretty good if you want a lively social life. And by lively I mean parties most nights, not necesarily in your flat, but there's enough action going around for you to have a laugh. Best thing about fallowfield is you can get away with pretty much anything and it's cheap as funk. Bus journey to Uni's about 10 mins usually, City centre 15, so it's not really an issue. Factor in bus pass cost into your weekly rent as obviously it's not included. Victoria Park is very very very very quiet and good if you're the studious type. But you'll still have fun. City Campus is a mixed bag depending on where you live, if you're near Oxford Road there's enough student bars and stuff for a laugh, but the student community is a bit more spread out and not quite as anarachaic as Fallowfield. North Campus city residences I'm not so hot on because they feel too far removed from the university and a bit too close to the real world, but then that might be what you want :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending