The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

and whitworth that doesnt have en-suite rooms does it?
hmm im thinking i'll stick to self-catering tbh
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Daisuke
I'm looking for a good student vibe accommodation, close to town and self-catered (close to MU too ofcourse)...
Any suggestions, I was gonna go Fallowfield but it seems small with 130 students and also it being catered :frown:.

Fallowfield isn't small, I don't really know where you've got that from :confused: Owens Park is one of the largest halls there, and as you can see, its massive. Fallowfield is also home to a lot of the students from later years who are living in private homes, its a huge student area of the city
SupaStar*AmZi
and whitworth that doesnt have en-suite rooms does it?
hmm im thinking i'll stick to self-catering tbh

Nope, shared bathrooms, although tbh it isn't that much of a big deal
Reply 63
Alex L
Nope, shared bathrooms, although tbh it isn't that much of a big deal

You also share kitchens which brings with it a problem- refrigerator thieves. It might not be such a big issue when only a very small amount of people have access to your kitchen but due to the interconnectedness of some of the buildings in Owens Park (and perhaps other places as well), a lot of different people can't freely come onto your floor and start going through your kitchen.
Reply 64
Alex L
Fallowfield isn't small, I don't really know where you've got that from :confused: Owens Park is one of the largest halls there, and as you can see, its massive. Fallowfield is also home to a lot of the students from later years who are living in private homes, its a huge student area of the city

Oh my mistake then. But it is catered, anywhere good in Fallowfield that's near the campus and self-catered?

ALSO, whats up with no where having smoking areas?
Daisuke
Oh my mistake then. But it is catered, anywhere good in Fallowfield that's near the campus and self-catered?

ALSO, whats up with no where having smoking areas?

Oak House is self catered, its big and seems to have a good party atmosphere about it. Its easy enough to hop on a bus up to the main uni campus too
Reply 66
Alex L
Oak House is self catered, its big and seems to have a good party atmosphere about it. Its easy enough to hop on a bus up to the main uni campus too

Whoa that place seems amazing.

It looks really close together, but 8 people sharing 1 bathroom? Or did I mis-hear.
Daisuke

It looks really close together, but 8 people sharing 1 bathroom? Or did I mis-hear.

I very much doubt that, although I'm not 100% tbh, so lets find out from someone who lives there :wink:

OhNO!
Help please :biggrin:
Reply 68
Alex L
I very much doubt that, although I'm not 100% tbh, so lets find out from someone who lives there :wink:

Hope so, thanks for the help. :yep:
Reply 69
Alex L

I've now been told by some people that it's better to live in "halls" for my first year; to make friends o.O;;
Daisuke
I've now been told by some people that it's better to live in "halls" for my first year; to make friends o.O;;

What do you mean by "halls"? If you mean open corridors instead of enclosed flats then tbh I don't find there to be that much of a difference overall, it just means that at the beginning you need to make the effort to go ring a few doorbells
Reply 71
Alex L
What do you mean by "halls"? If you mean open corridors instead of enclosed flats then tbh I don't find there to be that much of a difference overall, it just means that at the beginning you need to make the effort to go ring a few doorbells

I was told that Oak House is "student housing" and I should go for "student halls"... o.O? I'm confused myself to be honest.
Daisuke
I was told that Oak House is "student housing" and I should go for "student halls"... o.O? I'm confused myself to be honest.

In which case I have no idea what that's meant to mean. Oak House is one of the UoM's Halls of Residence, so it would be fine for making friends :wink:
Reply 73
Alex L
In which case I have no idea what that's meant to mean. Oak House is one of the UoM's Halls of Residence, so it would be fine for making friends :wink:

Exactly what I thought, very much confused I am.

Ah well, still a long time to go, another 7-8 months?

Seems so far away :frown:.

Thanks for the help though!
Reply 74
Daisuke

no, oak house flats are duplex and there's a bathroom on each floor so, it's 1 bathroom for every four people. sharing a bathroom is such a non-issue and I wouldn't dream of paying the extra £41 per week just to have my own bathroom, which I would have to clean and wouldn't even have a bath (if you're a girl, you'll get a bath).

I don't know what the difference between halls and student housing is, oak house isn't set out like corridors, they're enclosed flats of 8 people. I like the fact that it's in flats, Oak House/OP are so big, I think it'd be overwhelming if I didn't have my nice little flat family to come back to. And you will definitely make friends here! It's very sociable.
Reply 75
In Green Court of Owens Park, the rooms are spread out over corridors which are located in three floor high buildings with alternating men and womens floors.
On my floor there are 14 rooms, 2 showers and 3 bathrooms as well as a kitchen.
Reply 76
In Green Court of Owens Park, the rooms are spread out over corridors which are located in three floor high buildings with alternating men and womens floors.
On my floor there are 14 rooms, 2 showers and 3 bathrooms as well as a kitchen.
Reply 77
OhNO!
no, oak house flats are duplex and there's a bathroom on each floor so, it's 1 bathroom for every four people. sharing a bathroom is such a non-issue and I wouldn't dream of paying the extra £41 per week just to have my own bathroom, which I would have to clean and wouldn't even have a bath (if you're a girl, you'll get a bath).

I don't know what the difference between halls and student housing is, oak house isn't set out like corridors, they're enclosed flats of 8 people. I like the fact that it's in flats, Oak House/OP are so big, I think it'd be overwhelming if I didn't have my nice little flat family to come back to. And you will definitely make friends here! It's very sociable.

I take it you're there at the moment?

Do boys not get a bath :frown:?
Reply 78
Daisuke
I take it you're there at the moment?

Do boys not get a bath :frown:?

yes, I send you this message from my beautiful mint green room :h: (I posted a picture in the Hall Rooms thread which is somewhere about in the General University forum).

nope, sozzles. you only get a shower.
Reply 79
OhNO!
yes, I send you this message from my beautiful mint green room :h: (I posted a picture in the Hall Rooms thread which is somewhere about in the General University forum).

nope, sozzles. you only get a shower.

Looks great, think I may be settling for Oak House then, is it in quite high demand?

Latest

Trending

Trending