The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1500
Original post by jjo92

Original post by jjo92
I picked it cos it was catered XD I can't cook at all.

OK, the distance doesn't sound too bad. :| How far away are the bus stops from the Hall? How safe do you think a bicycle would be at night?

This is really helpful stuff, thanks! :biggrin:

Well, them too, but I meant games n stuff in general. I just have a problem with being made to play those ice-breaker games :mad:

If, as Kate24 says, they're not compulsory, then that's great :h:

EDIT: I don't mind these sort of things: "Oh, and there'll be lots organised in Fresher's Week. Typical events would be... going out for a curry, pizza and boardgames, fire and safety lecture (bit boring, but worth going)." I got this info from http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/University_of_Manchester:_Ashburne_Hall_with_Sheavyn_House

@Kate24: Where did you see that info about the Fresher activities? I'm kinda curious

It was on a facebook group :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Original post by kate24
I hope all ashburne residents dont share such 'aversions'...

I'm not Ashburne, so you don't have to worry about me not wanting to get wrecked every night and throwing up everywhere :h:

People at uni find others to fit their group - If you like drinking it's there for you, if you don't then that's also a valid option for people.

The people that get this piss taken out of them and are disliked by most are the ones who judge others as being "abnormal" just because they don't like something :wink:
Reply 1502
Original post by neillya1

I'm not Ashburne, so you don't have to worry about me not wanting to get wrecked every night and throwing up everywhere :h:

People at uni find others to fit their group - If you like drinking it's there for you, if you don't then that's also a valid option for people.

The people that get this piss taken out of them and are disliked by most are the ones who judge others as being "abnormal" just because they don't like something :wink:

Aha mannn, I'm not judging you as abnormal at all, I just want to be sure that I'll know people who wish to go out and such like! Jeez.
Original post by jjo92
I picked it cos it was catered XD I can't cook at all.

OK, the distance doesn't sound too bad. :| How far away are the bus stops from the Hall? How safe do you think a bicycle would be at night?

This is really helpful stuff, thanks! :biggrin:

Haha you need to learn to cook for 2nd year though!! :tongue:

Apparently the food is nice there, though I've never tried it myself :tongue: The rooms looked big and spacious though, and the gardens are lovely!

The bus stop is literally seconds away. Over the front gardens down the path and it's the opposite side of the road. Talking a maximum 2 minute walk once you leave the hall :tongue:

A bike would probably be alright. It's a busy road though, that'd be my only concern I guess. It's just one straight road from the hall to the uni campus, pretty flat too so an easy cycle :smile:

Seeing as I'm bored just now, here's a little map for you :tongue:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=53.446093,-2.216912&daddr=Oxford+Rd%2FB5117&hl=en&geocode=Fc2FLwMdMCze_w%3BFRHaLwMd5uXd_w&mra=ltm&sll=53.456835,-2.226435&sspn=0.040425,0.130548&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14

Point A is Ashburne Hall, and B is the start of the uni campus. As you can see, just one long road :smile: 1.7 miles (although the amount of bus stops means the bus takes ~10 mins).

You can see the bus stops on there too just next to the hall :smile:

If you use streetview it'll give you an idea of what the road is like for cycling etc.
Original post by kate24
Aha mannn, I'm not judging you as abnormal at all, I just want to be sure that I'll know people who wish to go out and such like! Jeez.

Tbh, if you wanted to go out every single night of the week, Manchester is the city to do it in :tongue: You'll find people like that, I wouldn't worry.

I like going out myself (although I prefer the pub to a club, I still enjoy clubbing though), I just don't like drinking games :tongue: They make me so ill :sad:
Reply 1505

Tbh, if you wanted to go out every single night of the week, Manchester is the city to do it in :tongue: You'll find people like that, I wouldn't worry.

I like going out myself (although I prefer the pub to a club, I still enjoy clubbing though), I just don't like drinking games :tongue: They make me so ill :sad:

Aha not every night, but there is no wayy I'm not exploiting the wonders of nightlife that Manc offers. Drinking games can be very harmful indeed, I guess they don't suit some!
Reply 1506
Haha you need to learn to cook for 2nd year though!! :tongue:

Apparently the food is nice there, though I've never tried it myself :tongue: The rooms looked big and spacious though, and the gardens are lovely!

The bus stop is literally seconds away. Over the front gardens down the path and it's the opposite side of the road. Talking a maximum 2 minute walk once you leave the hall :tongue:

A bike would probably be alright. It's a busy road though, that'd be my only concern I guess. It's just one straight road from the hall to the uni campus, pretty flat too so an easy cycle :smile:

Seeing as I'm bored just now, here's a little map for you :tongue:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=53.446093,-2.216912&daddr=Oxford+Rd%2FB5117&hl=en&geocode=Fc2FLwMdMCze_w%3BFRHaLwMd5uXd_w&mra=ltm&sll=53.456835,-2.226435&sspn=0.040425,0.130548&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=14

Point A is Ashburne Hall, and B is the start of the uni campus. As you can see, just one long road :smile: 1.7 miles (although the amount of bus stops means the bus takes ~10 mins).

You can see the bus stops on there too just next to the hall :smile:

If you use streetview it'll give you an idea of what the road is like for cycling etc.

Thank you!!! :jumphug:

Oh and erm...I'm pretty sure international students are guaranteed housing for all 3 years, so cooking won't really be a problem for me :tongue: (er, yeah, I'm an intl student heh).
Original post by kate24
Aha not every night, but there is no wayy I'm not exploiting the wonders of nightlife that Manc offers. Drinking games can be very harmful indeed, I guess they don't suit some!

The nightlife in Manchester is orgasmic :sogood:

Original post by jjo92
Thank you!!! :jumphug:

Oh and erm...I'm pretty sure international students are guaranteed housing for all 3 years, so cooking won't really be a problem for me :tongue: (er, yeah, I'm an intl student heh).

Ahh I see! Lucky :tongue:

Still, you'll have to learn to cook one day! :tongue:

Where are you from? :smile:
Reply 1508

Ahh I see! Lucky :tongue:

Still, you'll have to learn to cook one day! :tongue:

Where are you from? :smile:

ikr?! :biggrin:

meh, I'll survive. I mean, worst comes to worst, there's always bread and jam, or canned tuna XD

I'm from Singapore :smile:
Original post by franicle33
i got dalton ellis... anyone here going to be there?

Unlucky...
I couldn't wait to leave.
Original post by jjo92

meh, I'll survive. I mean, worst comes to worst, there's always bread and jam, or canned tuna XD

I'm from Singapore :smile:

Haha true! :tongue:

Singapore, oh wow! :biggrin: That's quite a distance to travel to uni :tongue:
Reply 1511
Original post by llama-beans
Unlucky...
I couldn't wait to leave.

What's wrong with that place? I had wanted to apply there for summer (in the case I had to stay back for summer).
Reply 1512
Haha true! :tongue:

Singapore, oh wow! :biggrin: That's quite a distance to travel to uni :tongue:

Lol, yeah, it is quite a distance, but I've always wanted to stay in England, so, yeah.. :smile:
hi, anyone know what weston hall is like?
what are your thoughts of Burkhardt House when u went to the open days? ne 1? Thanks
Fridge questions... how many fridges are there per block? And have you have problems keeping your food (what I mean is that no one stealing your foods)?
Original post by the_neg_master_
Fridge questions... how many fridges are there per block? And have you have problems keeping your food (what I mean is that no one stealing your foods)?

If I remember rightly on the open day they said 1 fridge to 4 people. Don't count on that though.

At Lancaster last year I had no problem with people stealing food, I can't imagine it being any different here.

If they do, there's always ways around it (such as labeling your milk bottles "Bull Semen" or adding green food colouring to it :tongue:).

It'll vary but there will be enough. And someone will probably steal your food at least once and they'll probably be drunk when they do it. They should offer to rebuy it for you, unless they're dicks.
ok thats cool.. ermmm question... is it rainy-er in Manchester? coz if it is I need to buy brolly and raincoats.. :/

ok thats cool.. ermmm question... is it rainy-er in Manchester? coz if it is I need to buy brolly and raincoats.. :/

It's exactly the same as in Bristol IMO. So some waterproof shoes and coat won't go amiss during the autumn/winter rain.

Latest

Trending

Trending