The Student Room Group
FM08
Is it true that when you put 'references available on request on your CV', are you required to get the reference from the employer, or do the company you're applying to contact the previous employer?

Don't put that on your CV - this is an inappropriate stage of the process for references. They will contact your referee at the appropriate time.
Reply 2
oh so just put your employer and then if they wish, they contact them?
FM08
oh so just put your employer and then if they wish, they contact them?

There's a bit more to it than that because you'll have to give contact details later in order to allow it to happen.
Reply 4
Would they contact me to ask for contact details? Don't I put that in the CV?
If you're applying for a low level job such as a sales clerk and put "refs on request" on the c.v. it'll probably be binned.

If you don't have references make some up, if you do have references put the number down and the employer will contact the referee themselves.
jorge regula
If you're applying for a low level job such as a sales clerk and put "refs on request" on the c.v. it'll probably be binned.

If you don't have references make some up, if you do have references put the number down and the employer will contact the referee themselves.

Ignore this. They will contact you for the information they require, at the time they require it. It is pointless burdening employers with extra information they don't now (and may never) need, or making useless statements about references on CVs.

Never make up a reference. That will lose you the job instantly when it is checked.
Reply 7
No I won't make it up, would never. So just put the contact details of employer on CV and leave the rest to them? Or don't put contact number on CV at all and await a phonecall about reference contact details?
FM08
don't put contact number on CV at all and await a phonecall about reference contact details?

This.
Good bloke
Ignore this. They will contact you for the information they require, at the time they require it. It is pointless burdening employers with extra information they don't now (and may never) need, or making useless statements about references on CVs.

Never make up a reference. That will lose you the job instantly when it is checked.

I've only had three jobs, but for every one I've used at least one fake reference. Have someone pose as your ex-manager and say your branch closed down. Put down their land line office number down and it's convincing enough. They phone, your friend says positive things and that's that. I've never had trouble with it in the past, there's no need to be so timid.

By requiring the employer to phone you for references you're burdening them. When I used to sort through applications "refs on request" or no references at all meant twice as many phone calls, which we didn't bother with.

If you're applying for a shop floor job the employer generally wants to get the position filled as soon as possible. If you make the tedious job of sorting c.v.s any more dull, chances are you'll be ignored. That's my experience, at least.
jorge regula
I've only had three jobs, but for every one I've used at least one fake reference. Have someone pose as your ex-manager and say your branch closed down. Put down their land line office number down and it's convincing enough. They phone, your friend says positive things and that's that. I've never had trouble with it in the past, there's no need to be so timid.

By requiring the employer to phone you for references you're burdening them. When I used to sort through applications "refs on request" or no references at all meant twice as many phone calls, which we didn't bother with.

If you're applying for a shop floor job the employer generally wants to get the position filled as soon as possible. If you make the tedious job of sorting c.v.s any more dull, chances are you'll be ignored. That's my experience, at least.

Speaking as someone who works on the recruiting side of the fence, I can tell you that your strategy will come unstuck at some stage and you will lose a job offer because of it. A faked reference, even if it is not detected when applying for the job, is cause for dismissal later on.
Good bloke
Speaking as someone who works on the recruiting side of the fence, I can tell you that your strategy will come unstuck at some stage and you will lose a job offer because of it. A faked reference, even if it is not detected when applying for the job, is cause for dismissal later on.

How would a fake reference when applying for a low-end job be detected later on?
jorge regula
How would a fake reference when applying for a low-end job be detected later on?

Simple. When employees don't perform as required and employers are looking for reasons to off-load they tend to check up on such things.

And they don't always ring the numbers given. I personally have detected people lying on their CVs or in forged references (more than once) simply because I knew the person who would really have been their manager at a previous employer and called for a chat about the candidate.

Latest

Trending

Trending