The Student Room Group

Urgent -Another enthalpy question +rep

Someone please help I'm quiet stuck: *(will rep)
for both - heat capacity = 4.2 j g-1 K-1

3) When x g of calcium are added to 100cm^3 (an excess) of dilute nitric acid, the temp goes up by 11 c. The enthalpy change is 504kJmol-1. Write an equation and calulate x.

4) When 25cm^3 of 0.5 mol dm-3 magnesium chloride solution was added to 25cm^3 of potassium carbonate solution, the temp fell by 0.75 c. and a percipitate of magnesium carbonate formed. Write full and ionic equations for the reaction that occurs and calculate the enthalpy change for the reaction in kJ mol-1.

Totally lost :frown: :confused:
3) Ca + 2HNO3 --> H2 + CaNO3

Not sure about the first question. You can calculate the mass of the acid used but since there's no molarity given, you can't exactly find the number of moles of Ca(s) used and hence the mass.

4) MgCl2(aq) + K2CO3(aq) --> 2KCl(aq) + MgCO3(s)

That is basically the full equation. The ionic equation does not take into account spectator ions (ions not involved in the reaction).

You should know that KCl(aq) dissociates to K+{aq) and Cl-(aq), as do the other ions in the aqueous solutions in reactants part of the eqn.

So expanding the first reaction:

Mg2+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq) + 2K+(aq) + CO32-(aq) --> MgCO3(s) + 2K+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq)

Removing K+ and Cl- since they don't react, you get:

Mg2+(aq) + CO32-(aq) --> MgCO3(s)

This is the ionic equation.

For the next part of the question, the density of dilute acids and bases used in enthalpy calculations is always assumed to be the same as water. So m = 50g because 25ml and 25ml have been reacted together. T = 0.75C, and you know c = 4.18 J g-1 C-1.

Find H using H = mcT, and the value for H should be positive as the rxn is endothermic (temp went down).

Spoiler

Reply 2
moneyfaery
3) Ca + 2HNO3 --> H2 + CaNO3

Not sure about the first question. You can calculate the mass of the acid used but since there's no molarity given, you can't exactly find the number of moles of Ca(s) used and hence the mass.

4) MgCl2(aq) + K2CO3(aq) --> 2KCl(aq) + MgCO3(s)

That is basically the full equation. The ionic equation does not take into account spectator ions (ions not involved in the reaction).

You should know that KCl(aq) dissociates to K+{aq) and Cl-(aq), as do the other ions in the aqueous solutions in reactants part of the eqn.

So expanding the first reaction:

Mg2+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq) + 2K+(aq) + CO32-(aq) --> MgCO3(s) + 2K+(aq) + 2Cl-(aq)

Removing K+ and Cl- since they don't react, you get:

Mg2+(aq) + CO32-(aq) --> MgCO3(s)

This is the ionic equation.

For the next part of the question, the density of dilute acids and bases used in enthalpy calculations is always assumed to be the same as water. So m = 50g because 25ml and 25ml have been reacted together. T = 0.75C, and you know c = 4.18 J g-1 C-1.

Find H using H = mcT, and the value for H should be positive as the rxn is endothermic (temp went down).

Spoiler

hmmm thanks that helps. I learnt q=mc(Triangle)T...if q is same as H and the temperature rises then it q would be negative?
aimz08
hmmm thanks that helps. I learnt q=mc(Triangle)T...if q is same as H and the temperature rises then it q would be negative?

It's the same. And yes. :smile:
Reply 4
3)

Ca+2HNO3 gives Ca(NO3)2 + H2

q=mcT=100x4.2x11=4620 J

using n=enthalpy change/enthalpy change of solution

n=4620/504000
=0.00917 moles

so mass of Ca(x)=n x (relative atomic mass of Ca)

x= 0.00917 x 40.1

=0.368 g

EDIT: Enthalpy change of solution just means the enthalpy change when a solute is dissolved in a solvent,in this case Ca is dissolved in the Nitric Acid
Reply 5
eek.
enthalpy's a nightmare :s-smilie:
sorry I can't help :frown:
Reply 6
thanks

SyedT
3)

Ca+2HNO3 gives Ca(NO3)2 + H2

q=mcT=100x4.2x11=4620 J

using n=enthalpy change/enthalpy change of solution

n=4620/504000
=0.00917 moles

so mass of Ca(x)=n x (relative atomic mass of Ca)

x= 0.00917 x 40.1

=0.368 g

EDIT: Enthalpy change of solution just means the enthalpy change when a solute is dissolved in a solvent,in this case Ca is dissolved in the Nitric Acid
Reply 7
aimz08
thanks

My pleasure :smile:
Reply 8
hannah(:
eek.
enthalpy's a nightmare :s-smilie:
sorry I can't help :frown:

lol yeah I know - this is my first homework on enthalpy ahhh I hate chemistry and cant even drop it for A2! Dont worry others helped and now I get it well these questions anyway!
Reply 9
aimz08
lol yeah I know - this is my first homework on enthalpy ahhh I hate chemistry and cant even drop it for A2! Dont worry others helped and now I get it well these questions anyway!

If you have any more problems you know where to go :biggrin:
Reply 10
aimz08

I'm the same
I'm finding chemistry so hard compared to GCSE it's unbelievable :frown:
enthalpy's the hardest thing I think I've done yet though
Reply 11
SyedT
If you have any more problems you know where to go :biggrin:

lolz TSR of course ! Definitely got that from Unit 1 - I practically learnt all the calculations stuff cuz of TSR :biggrin:
Reply 12
hannah(:
I'm the same

It's about to get a lot harder :p:
Reply 13
hannah(:
I'm the same

I've only just started it so cant really say. I blame my teachers :P (bad excuses)
Reply 14
SyedT

cheers :smile:
Reply 15
SyedT

:frown:

(off topic: is there a thread about the gaza petition? if not would you mind if I created one?)
Reply 16
hannah(:
cheers :smile:

No worries...you seem happy about it :p: Imagine the look of horror on my face when my teacher told me that :eek:
Reply 17
SyedT
No worries...you seem happy about it :p: Imagine the look of horror on my face when my teacher told me that :eek:

happy?
it was more of a sarcastic 'oh my life I am going to die' smilie, tbh :p:
my teachers were like that too
'it'll all click by christmas'
well, christmas has come and gone...
I feel like I'll struggle through it though
just because I don't have much of a choice :p:
Reply 18
hannah(:
happy?
it was more of a sarcastic 'oh my life I am going to die' smilie, tbh :p:
my teachers were like that too
'it'll all click by christmas'
well, christmas has come and gone...
I feel like I'll struggle through it though
just because I don't have much of a choice :p:

I know you were being sarcastic...was just playing along :biggrin:

My teachers never said it'll all click together,all they said was "work hard and you'll get it". Problem is, most of the people doing chemistry don't intend to do that...:p:

Latest