The Student Room Group

A level choices for an economics degree.

Hey, I want to go on to do a economics degree at ideally a top uni and I was wondering whether the following subject choices would be appropriate.

Maths
Economics
Physics
History

I'm also considering dropping Physics for A2 (well depending how I find it) and doing AS further maths in my second year, would this strengthen my application?

And advice is appreciated, cheers.
Reply 1
Yeh that looks fine. Maths is a must and Economics is extremely helpfull. If your applying somewhere competative like Warwick or LSE, doing further maths would give you the edge needed to get in. I wish i did it now as so many people apply with it, even though you probably won't need it at that level in your degree.
D R E A M Z
Hey, I want to go on to do a economics degree at ideally a top uni and I was wondering whether the following subject choices would be appropriate.

Maths
Economics
Physics
History

I'm also considering dropping Physics for A2 (well depending how I find it) and doing AS further maths in my second year, would this strengthen my application?

Why not just do further maths instead of physics?
Reply 3
Replace physics with Further Maths and it's all good.
Reply 4
Looks perfect. Althoug try and keep physics in A2 and perhaps drop History.
Reply 5
replace physics with Further Maths, it's a heck of a lot more impressive and relevant.
Reply 6
Adhavan
Why not just do further maths instead of physics?

I'll try but I remember having a conversation with my maths teacher and he said something about only being able to pick it in your second year.

I'll check and see if this is the case or not.

Cheers for advice.

EDIT: Is there anywhere I can check for info on FM, e.g. the workload and the differences in difficulty from maths A level?
D R E A M Z
I'll try but I remember having a conversation with my maths teacher and he said something about only being able to pick it in your second year.

I'll check and see if this is the case or not.

Cheers for advice.

EDIT: Is there anywhere I can check for info on FM, e.g. the workload and the differences in difficulty from maths A level?

Try and find someone in the year above and speak to them about it :smile:
Reply 8
Adhavan
Try and find someone in the year above and speak to them about it :smile:

Will do.
Reply 9
D R E A M Z

Maths
Economics
Physics
History

As other posters have said. you want 4 A-levels for a top 10 economics application. Also check out the stickies in the economics forum.
I want to do economics too...at cambridge or LSE ideally. My choices are maths, further maths, buisness studies and religious education. R.E. only because its an easy A grade for me...I'll drop it at A2.

Are they okay?
what do i need to do to get in when i apply next year?
Reply 11
Study Further Maths. Take away either Physics or History.

Or you could take five A-levels if you wish to.
Paulwhy
As other posters have said. you want 4 A-levels for a top 10 economics application.

Do you mean 4 AS levels or 4 A2s?
Reply 13
snoopyx
Do you mean 4 AS levels or 4 A2s?

4 A2.
Is it a necessity to have 4 A2 levels to realistically have a chance of getting into a top uni - does this include Further Maths e.g. English Lit, Maths, Economics, Further Maths?
Does this exclude General Studies and A levels in a language you speak at home?
Reply 15
snoopyx
Is it a necessity to have 4 A2 levels to realistically have a chance of getting into a top uni - does this include Further Maths e.g. English Lit, Maths, Economics, Further Maths?

Well it is certainly very hard to get into top unis for economics.

The data shows how many of the students at the top unis have more than just 3 A-levels. (TAELT shows the Tariff points situation for each uni.) So yes it would be my strong advise to econ applicants to do 4 A-levels if they have the AS platform e.g. aaaa or aaab at AS-level.
FM would be a perfectly fine 4th A-level.

Students who choose or have to do only 3 A-levels should apply to some safe unis e.g. AAB.2.1 and work up from there. That list will include some top unis. But they should not be surprised if they do not get offers.

snoopyx

Yes it excludes GS and Foreign Languages that are spoken at home.
So English Lit, Maths, Economics and Further would be good options?
If I need to take a gap year to get these A2s would you advise me to do this rather than apply this year with English Lit, Maths, Physics and Chem at AS, as it will not be possible for me to do both Further Maths and Economics A2 in one year next year
Reply 17
snoopyx
So English Lit, Maths, Economics and Further would be good options?

Yes

snoopyx
If I need to take a gap year to get these A2s would you advise me to do this rather than apply this year with English Lit, Maths, Physics and Chem at AS, as it will not be possible for me to do both Further Maths and Economics A2 in one year next year

Yes.
What kinds of jobs can people with economics degrees go into if they don't want to go into banking?

Latest