The Student Room Group

Choosing eng. lit. with sciences and maths

I've gotta make A level choices soon and am thinking bout these subjects-

Physics
Chemistry
Maths

maybe English lit

or maybe biology

The thing is I've always been a science person and am most likely to take a science related course (astrophysics, nuclear physics etc. possibly medicine) but its just that i'm also really into English lit. and enjoy studying that kinda stuff, but i still need biology to get into some of the science courses, so am sorta stuck between bio and english. :confused: . I don't wanna drop maths either - i feel like im trying to cling on to all these subjects. what should i do guys?
Reply 1
Do all 5?
Reply 2
I did English Biology and Chem. Unis (including my PhD) tended to like that I'd done something different than straight sciences.
Do all of them! :biggrin:
further maths
Reply 5
Laen
I did English Biology and Chem. Unis (including my PhD) tended to like that I'd done something different than straight sciences.

oh that sounds good. btw its not really an option for me to do all 5, definitely wouldnt be able to keep up
Reply 6
If you are thinking physics related degrees, drop biology. Even if you wanted to go into medicine, you wouldn't necessarily need biology - I know UCL for example only require Biology to AS level, so you could always do one, then drop it at the end of the year and do another AS alongside your three A Levels.

A subject like English is perfect to take alongside science subjects, it shows you are an 'all rounder' and not just somebody who can reel of sums, facts and figures. Universities are becoming so much more competitive, it will do you no harm at all to have some variation in your qualification and if you change your mind about doing a science degree, you've got some room to move by having an arts subject.
Reply 7
Stacy_T
If you are thinking physics related degrees, drop biology. Even if you wanted to go into medicine, you wouldn't necessarily need biology - I know UCL for example only require Biology to AS level, so you could always do one, then drop it at the end of the year and do another AS alongside your three A Levels.

A subject like English is perfect to take alongside science subjects, it shows you are an 'all rounder' and not just somebody who can reel of sums, facts and figures. Universities are becoming so much more competitive, it will do you no harm at all to have some variation in your qualification and if you change your mind about doing a science degree, you've got some room to move by having an arts subject.

thanks for the help
btw just wondering what arts courses would require only an english lit. A level?
Reply 8
Loads of things really...Obviously English. Law, philosophy, anthropology, education, Theology, certain classical history courses....
Reply 9
sounds alrght, thanks guys. hows the english lit. aqa course like tho?

Latest