Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Biology graph - urgent help needed!

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay this is for my coursework, apparently my line of best fit is 'poor'. Can anyone suggest how I should draw it?

Graph
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aha, OK - I can never remember what the official guidelines for this are from the biology peeps but generally the best bet is to draw a smooth curve through the dots - it doesn't have to touch them all and in fact you usually don't get a perfect curve from your dots, but it should be a smooth curve. I wouldn't join the dots. If you Do join the dots, use a ruler - but it's usually best to draw a line that looks as if it's what your dots would fit to if there weren't any experimental errors. If you get my drift.

Sorry, explaining this stuff is difficult but I never worked out how to attach pictures - I'll try to do you an example and attach it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    Aha, OK - I can never remember what the official guidelines for this are from the biology peeps but generally the best bet is to draw a smooth curve through the dots - it doesn't have to touch them all and in fact you usually don't get a perfect curve from your dots, but it should be a smooth curve. I wouldn't join the dots. If you Do join the dots, use a ruler - but it's usually best to draw a line that looks as if it's what your dots would fit to if there weren't any experimental errors. If you get my drift.

Sorry, explaining this stuff is difficult but I never worked out how to attach pictures - I'll try to do you an example and attach it!
    Yeah, I think I smooth curve is the best way to go. Don't worry if you can't attach a file
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie47)
    Graph
    That's not a line of best fit, you've just joined the points.
    Here's an example - http://www.harcourtschool.com/glossa...s/line_o8.html

You're probably better off with a curve of best fit.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grotbag)
    That's not a line of best fit, you've just joined the points.
    Here's an example - http://www.harcourtschool.com/glossa...s/line_o8.html

You're probably better off with a curve of best fit.
    Yeah, I know... that's why I was asking for advice. Thanks for the link.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yup, I am in fact completely incapable of uploading the file. They always seem too big and I don't know how to make them smaller :s: (Biologists are allowed to be technophobes, OK?!) But hopefully the link Grotbag (GREAT name) provided is helpful
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Calculate the centroid and then draw the line
    Centroid=average of all X coordinates and Y .
    That should give you a good line of best fit.
    If it is a curve being plotted, use a "flexi curve " ruler , those bendy ones.
Updated: March 8, 2005
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.