The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Argument, argument, argument. Make your mind up about what YOU think, and then clearly and persuasively state the argument, using evidence to back it up where needed. A essay which balances the whole spectrum of historiographical argument on a topic is a boring essay. Be snappy, forceful - almost arrogant - and the essay will be much more interesting.
Reply 21
You all seem incredibly ill-informed as to what historiography entails if you think quoting a historian to "back up your point" suffices.
Reply 22
Cantab
Argument, argument, argument. Make your mind up about what YOU think, and then clearly and persuasively state the argument, using evidence to back it up where needed. A essay which balances the whole spectrum of historiographical argument on a topic is a boring essay. Be snappy, forceful - almost arrogant - and the essay will be much more interesting.

I both agree and disagree. I despise the essay which, paragraph by paragraph, insists on sitting firmly upon the fence, completely lacking in critical analysis. I disagree, however, that you should omit both sides of a contentious issue; a good essay will introduce and explore elements of controversy, explaining to the reader why your opinion is better and why the other isn't. Such an approach does not need to default to "here is one side of the argument, here is the other, here is my conclusion", but an essay that refuses to appreciate the "whole spectrum of historiographical argument" is a bad one. Whether or not from an A level examiner's point of view it is remains another matter.
Reply 23
Gimothy
Such an approach does not need to default to "here is one side of the argument, here is the other, here is my conclusion", but an essay that refuses to appreciate the "whole spectrum of historiographical argument" is a bad one.

I don't agree at all, and neither, seemingly, do the fellows at my university (who have all written several history books) - otherwise the vast majority of my essays would have been thrown out as a 'bad' essay. On big, contentious topics - like the French Revolution, for example - an essay which attempts to consider the full spectrum of historiographical argument is likely to be rather bumbling, shuffling from one person's view to another discounting them in turn. There just isn't room to do this with a clear, well-written structure in a 2,500 word essay. An essay will read much better if it is written in the style of an historian, rather than a student - as though they are writing a book, with a strong, clear argument; rather than pandering to the opinions of others. A lack of spoken historiographical awareness in an essay does not make an essay 'bad', a badly written essay makes an essay 'bad', and a student that gets stuck in the mire of discussing a multitude of other opinions, to the detriment of stating their own persuasively, is walking down that path.

And for the record, I think A Level examiners prefer the fence-sitting, balanced, equal, nicely written essay. But then A Level essays are far from perfect.
Reply 24
Cantab
I don't agree at all, and neither, seemingly, do the fellows at my university (who have all written several history books) - otherwise the vast majority of my essays would have been thrown out as a 'bad' essay. On big, contentious topics - like the French Revolution, for example - an essay which attempts to consider the full spectrum of historiographical argument is likely to be rather bumbling, shuffling from one person's view to another discounting them in turn. There just isn't room to do this with a clear, well-written structure in a 2,500 word essay. An essay will read much better if it is written in the style of an historian, rather than a student - as though they are writing a book, with a strong, clear argument; rather than pandering to the opinions of others. A lack of spoken historiographical awareness in an essay does not make an essay 'bad', a badly written essay makes an essay 'bad', and a student that gets stuck in the mire of discussing a multitude of other opinions, to the detriment of stating their own persuasively, is walking down that path.

And for the record, I think A Level examiners prefer the fence-sitting, balanced, equal, nicely written essay. But then A Level essays are far from perfect.

I agree, a badly written essay is bad, which is why I deliberately made the point emphatic in my post that the essay style you're alluding to isn't the way to go. There is a significant difference between 'pandering' to the opinions of others, and voicing another's to show why it is wrong. You made it clear that argument is paramount; I can think of nothing that strengthens an argument more than the succinct eschewment of a competing theory.

Also, you've talked of a 'spoken historiographical awareness'; to what extent can it be implicit if you've chosen to simply collate evidence which best suits your chosen argument?
Also try to link one paragraph to the next to make everything seem more seamless and nicer to read. Just sound convincing if nothing else.
Reply 26
A-level history essays are easy to do. Get the key words/phrases from the question, explain what they mean in the intro. These meanings then (usually) form the basis for your paragraphs. Then you just give two points of an argument in each of these paragraphs and analyse constantly.

A2 is the same except the paragraphs are longer and you need to add some historiography to it.
Reply 27
Paragraph on Marxist interpretations. In every. Single. Essay. It's what I do if I run out of things to say.
Reply 28
For AS and A level history I wrote my essays in this format:

Intro (give a little background info)
Argue for (usually more paragraphs than against)
Argue Against
Personal opinon either for or against and conclusion.

And remember to frequently refer to the question and don't go off topic.
My teacher said the other day that if you see a source you don't agree with, you should show how angry you are with it.
red_roses
My teacher said the other day that if you see a source you don't agree with, you should show how angry you are with it.

Lol. Maybe so, but you don't exactly want to run the risk of being too dogmatic. :smile:
necessarily benevolent
Lol. Maybe so, but you don't exactly want to run the risk of being too dogmatic. :smile:

You should have seen a model essay he wrote for us on an exam question. :tongue:

The perfect essay depends on the mark scheme. Learn it. There's no point in answering an essay which includes loads of own knowledge if the mark scheme it needs little to none. But clearly I only do AS at the moment so meh lol.
Structure.

Having a clear structure is oh-so much more important than a good knowledge or anything else mentioned in this topic. You can get a top mark at GCSE and A-level with relatively little knowledge but a clear structure which addresses damn question.

You need to be able to have in your mind a clear division between 3/4/5 paragraphs and then a conclusion which draws them together. If you do this, your essay will be clear and will get to all the main points. If its just a mush, you will do badly.
Good approaches are to either consider things thematically (i.e. one paragraph on the economy, one on social issues, one on political issues - obviously what the actual paragraphs are will depend on the essay) or to split your essay into two sides - e.g. in reponse to a "to what extent" question, one half which focusing on aspects pointing towards a to-a-very-large-extent, and the other half which focuses on aspects pointing towards a not-at-all answer to the question; followed by a conclusion balancing the two. To answer a "Why?" or "What caused?" style question, dedicate a paragraph to each of the main things that caused the event in question, the most unconvincing first and the most convincing last, and evaluate their relative significance in the conclusion.

At A-level and at uni you can easily integrate historiography into this kind of structure, but unless its a historiography paper don't let your essay be historiography dedicated. That is, lead with a point, and then say who takes this position and why: for instance, "Protestantism was also an important cause. It is particularly emphasised by Davis who argues that evidence X and Y points towards religion being the main factor". You then evaluate the importance of Protestantism in the event, and consequently evaluate the argument of the historian at the same time.
jacketpotato
Structure.

Having a clear structure is oh-so much more important than a good knowledge or anything else mentioned in this topic. You can get a top mark at GCSE and A-level with relatively little knowledge but a clear structure which addresses damn question.

You need to be able to have in your mind a clear division between 3/4/5 paragraphs and then a conclusion which draws them together. If you do this, your essay will be clear and will get to all the main points. If its just a mush, you will do badly.
Good approaches are to either consider things thematically (i.e. one paragraph on the economy, one on social issues, one on political issues - obviously what the actual paragraphs are will depend on the essay) or to split your essay into two sides - e.g. in reponse to a "to what extent" question, one half which focusing on aspects pointing towards a to-a-very-large-extent, and the other half which focuses on aspects pointing towards a not-at-all answer to the question; followed by a conclusion balancing the two. To answer a "Why?" or "What caused?" style question, dedicate a paragraph to each of the main things that caused the event in question, the most unconvincing first and the most convincing last, and evaluate their relative significance in the conclusion.

At A-level and at uni you can easily integrate historiography into this kind of structure, but unless its a historiography paper don't let your essay be historiography dedicated. That is, lead with a point, and then say who takes this position and why: for instance, "Protestantism was also an important cause. It is particularly emphasised by Davis who argues that evidence X and Y points towards religion being the main factor". You then evaluate the importance of Protestantism in the event, and consequently evaluate the argument of the historian at the same time.

but shouldn't you really link your ideas - not political issues one paragraph, then forget about it and write about ecnonomcal issues? :s-smilie:
im so academic
but shouldn't you really link your ideas - not political issues one paragraph, then forget about it and write about ecnonomcal issues? :s-smilie:

Linkage is generally for the conclusion. Linkage in the paragraphs themselves should be very very brief, else you will end up repeating yourself. You simply don't have time to do that in a short school essay and certainly not in an exam - you've only got the space/time to really do that in 20 page academic journals.
It's definitely possible to make subtle links if you're good enough - but they only usually involve just one or two points.

Latest

Trending

Trending