The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
talked about democracy and the roots of the word (demos, kratos) - that it was all about power to the people, and how I thought it was sad we had all that power at our fingertips but no-one used it...

went on to say that it would make me happy to see people having their say and voicing their opinions, and that was all I needed...

and that's about it really, we only had 40 seconds to do it! I mean the guy who had not that many votes less than me said he would stop seagulls from crapping all over the school, so you don't have to do something heavy! i just couldn't bring myself to make it silly, i really believed what I was saying and that's why I said it. :smile:
Reply 2
Tech
talked about democracy and the roots of the word (demos, kratos) - that it was all about power to the people, and how I thought it was sad we had all that power at our fingertips but no-one used it...

went on to say that it would make me happy to see people having their say and voicing their opinions, and that was all I needed...

and that's about it really, we only had 40 seconds to do it! I mean the guy who had not that many votes less than me said he would stop seagulls from crapping all over the school, so you don't have to do something heavy! i just couldn't bring myself to make it silly, i really believed what I was saying and that's why I said it. :smile:

lol.. i have to talk for about 4 minutes... :wink:
natty_d
How did you go about writing your speech?

Or if you got nominated and were asked to give a speech, how did you go about it? :biggrin:

what was does it have to be about? because I was Head Girl and had to give a few speeches on different things, so I'd be glad to help. Is it because you've been nominated??
Reply 4
I wrote my speech, handed it in to be checked, then got rid and gave the real version on stage. Round of applause for telling the truth :p:. The teachers were giving birth in panic. :biggrin:
Reply 5
natty_d
lol.. i have to talk for about 4 minutes... :wink:

ah right, that was just what I said for the speech that I had to give with regards to elections (there were some 25-30 people going for it so we were obviously short on time!) we also had interviews afterwards with the senior teaching staff who asked us partly about our speeches.

I have to give another speech infront of some 2000 people next month, that's more like 5 minutes... i'm just gonna talk about my experiences of school, the good moments, the bad, the most important lessons, the highlights of the last few years in the news etc etc...
Reply 6
weirdwakkidolli
what was does it have to be about? because I was Head Girl and had to give a few speeches on different things, so I'd be glad to help. Is it because you've been nominated??

:yep: I have to give a speech for why i should be head girl... etc.... I'm not very good at writing stuff, I can talk very well, but I don't want to seem unprepared for the day.. :smile:
Reply 7
Tech
ah right, that was just what I said for the speech that I had to give with regards to elections (there were some 25-30 people going for it so we were obviously short on time!) we also had interviews afterwards with the senior teaching staff who asked us partly about our speeches.

I have to give another speech infront of some 2000 people next month, that's more like 5 minutes... i'm just gonna talk about my experiences of school, the good moments, the bad, the most important lessons, the highlights of the last few years in the news etc etc...

We only have 7, hence Im allowed to talk for roughly 3-4 minutes.. :smile:
Reply 8
I was, about 5 years ago. I dunno how I wrote my end of year speech for the leaver's ball to be honest... it sorta just flowed. The trick is to just say what you really mean and often you'll need little more than prompts.
Reply 9
My speech was very short. All I said was I think everyone should get EMA, a big issue in our school! Note I said think. Then I went on to say I see sixth form as a family, and I could be the father figure at the top. A very bad speech in essence. But when you only have a few minutes to prepare it wasn't bad :tongue:
Reply 10
Almost :P
I'm part of the senior team of 3 in my school - there was no nomination or anything, so no speeches before getting selected.
However, I do give a lot of speeches. Whether at open days, as part of debating/model UN or other various bits and pieces.

So, here's some general advice on speeches:

----------

-Write it out in full. After a fair amount of experience, you'll be able to deliver a 15 minute speech off the top of your head, but (and forgive me if I'm wrong) you don't sound like you've had much practice at this sort of thing before, so write the whole speech. There's nothing worse than someone giving a speech going "erm", "like", "yeah", etc.

-However, do not use your written out copy. This may sound stupid and contradictory, but let me explain. The purpose of the written copy is for you to decide exactly what it is that you want to say, and in what order. You definitely DO NOT want to be reading from it. Use your written copy to learn your speech, and then take a few bullet points up with you onto the stage. Or even better...

-If you think you're up for it, do it without notes. My personal favourite is to get hold of a wireless microphone (even better, one of those little clip-on mikes), walk out from behind the lectern and speak from the very front of the stage. It's a kind of "look at me, I can talk without notes!!" display. However, that kind of approach might not be possible. Even if you are behind some sort of lectern, the less that you have to look down, the better.

-Know your audience. Who are you giving the speech to? Your own year? Older students? Younger students? Teachers? Obviously you will want to say different things to each of them. For example, if you are speaking only to your own year group, the targeted use of humour can be very powerful - it makes you stand out from the others. For teachers, not so much.

-Try to sound natural. You don't want to sound monotonous. The fewer notes you use, the better this will be.

-Look around a bit. Don't just fixate on some spot on the wall, make sure that you're directing your words at all of the people in the room.

Above all:

-PRACTICE! I can't stress the importance of this enough. I actually find it a lot more stressful practising in front of a mirror than delivering a speech in front of 2000 people, so I practice by wandering around my room muttering quietly to myself. If you can, a full dry run is excellent.

----------

Well, that was quite a long post. Good luck!
natty_d
:yep: I have to give a speech for why i should be head girl... etc.... I'm not very good at writing stuff, I can talk very well, but I don't want to seem unprepared for the day.. :smile:

If you're not the best at writing but just like to speak then the best thing would just be to write some bullet points, with out loads of detail, and just talk about them.

Maybe talk about the school, what you like about it, how you feel you would fit in to the system, why you would make a good head girl, eg personal qualities and finish off by saying thanks for the opportunity.

Im glad to say I never had to give a speech to become head girl, just an interview haha I would have failed miserably lol

Good Luck XD
Reply 12
natty_d
How did you go about writing your speech?

Or if you got nominated and were asked to give a speech, how did you go about it? :biggrin:

lol i remember when i was head boy, i won down to sheer popularity, the other candidate tried his hardest.

My speech was amazing... I started with a 'I had a dream...' won my fellow Black voters then simply talked blabble for 2 minutes.

Once i had won, i gave up my chair as head boy and gave it to the other guy... did't want it in the first place :biggrin:

Good times, good times
Reply 13
lol
I thought Hogwarts was a fictional school?!
Reply 15
wannabe mexican

lol wut
Reply 16
wannabe mexican

:lolwut:
Reply 17
Venom123
lol i remember when i was head boy, i won down to sheer popularity, the other candidate tried his hardest.

My speech was amazing... I started with a 'I had a dream...' won my fellow Black voters then simply talked blabble for 2 minutes.

Once i had won, i gave up my chair as head boy and gave it to the other guy... did't want it in the first place :biggrin:

Good times, good times

:rofl:
Reply 18
Did the OP mention Hogwarts... or am I missing something :|
Where I live there are no schools with Head boys and girls....

Latest

Trending

Trending