The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Not all private schools are necessarily that great. Just like state schools I am assuming there will be some private schools that are a bit crap. I don't think it makes you a snob, or necessarily smarter or anything. It does show you are wealthy and of course people get jealous. They feel like you are incredibly lucky and wish they had had the same opportunity.

I went to a state grammar school, and it's extremely good (or at least it used to be) and I'm sure it's as good as many private schools. So it really does just depend on the individual schools. If the state schools were good in my area, when I have children I'd send them there and save the money. If I was rich and the private schools were better then I'd try and send them there.
Rosaaa
If people think I'm a snob just because I was privately educated all my life (bar one year), then I'm not too bothered as I wouldn't want someone so judgmental as a friend.

likewise
Reply 62
Kaykiie
WHO THE F CARES????

SERIOUSLY?

Yes some people who go to private schools are snobs, theres no denying it, but some aren't. And people who go to state schools can recieve the same education as those who are schooled privately.

In the end a grade is a grade no matter where you got it. I got an A*, 2A's and 6B's at GSCE. Is that not worth the same as someone who went to private school???

So those of you who claim to be 'cleverer' because you went to private school, YES you ARE a snob.

QFT

A private AAA is no different from a state AAA.
TheConfuddledOne
It does show you are wealthy and of course people get jealous. They feel like you are incredibly lucky and wish they had had the same opportunity.

I went to a state grammar school, and it's extremely good (or at least it used to be) and I'm sure it's as good as many private schools. So it really does just depend on the individual schools. If the state schools were good in my area, when I have children I'd send them there and save the money. If I was rich and the private schools were better then I'd try and send them there.

firstly, a state grammar is completely different from a state comprehensive - I'd say it's more like a private school. I tend to lump grammar schools and private schools together sometimes, because they are both selective (in different ways) and both receive some advantages which comprehensives don't.

also, people who don't go to private schools don't "wish they had the opportunity"... many people go on principle, with the belief that private schools aren't for them
Reply 64
indian_george_soros
maths>classics

Classics are a lot more entertaining, it has to be said . . .
x
I hate it when people think that all people who go to private schools must automatically be rich. My mum is unemployed and my dad has had to struggle to pay two sets of school fees for about five years so that my brother and I get a good education. We don't go on holidays, we live in a tiny house and I'm always the one who doesn't go on school trips. Basically all our money goes on school fees. Because I was too stupid to get a scholarship and just over the threshold to get financial help, I've had to work and make my education seem in part worthwhile by winning prizes and things. When I was applying to university, I was afraid about discrimination against private school pupils and afraid that all my dad's efforts would be in vain.

The fact is that the majority of families who opt for private education are not lords and ladies but simply families who want the best for their children. And they shouldn't be punished for that.
Reply 66
P.S. I'm not embarrassed that I go to private school, there's nothing wrong with it . . .
x
no, i enjoy it a lot more than i think i would in a state school. Although ive never been to a state one. xxxx
Please go on this link; it's a letter I wrote to the Sunday Telegraph about comprehensive schools, in response to a number of letters suggesting that comprehensives are 'failing' our children. It got published in the paper on Sunday:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/letters/4336415/The-Governments-second-bail-out-is-a-poor-way-to-save-the-banking-system.html

you will have to scroll down a lot...
I'm public school so im ghetto...
Yes. But not because I care what people think but because I myself am totally against public schools (even though I was sent to one). I feel it is completely WRONG that parents should be able to pay for their child to get a better start in life. (And before we all start arguing about the term "better", I mean that statistically exam results are higher in the private sector.) I'm embarassed because I feel people are right to get annoyed about private education, not because those who recieve it are snobs, but because they are being given an advantage of sorts.
timelordess
Basically all our money goes on school fees.

The fact is that the majority of families who opt for private education are not lords and ladies but simply families who want the best for their children. And they shouldn't be punished for that.

is the state school near you absolutely terrible or something? I just don't understand why you'd waste your money on school fees when they could be spent on something a lot better (such as holidays!). if the nearest state school to you really is a sink school, I can maybe see where you're coming from. apart from that... I just think you have no reason to complain about lack of money when you could save yourself about £3000 a term by moving to a comprehensive!

if you're prepared to work, they WON'T fail you
Reply 72
theres nothing wrong with it. i go to a public school but loads of kids in our area think its private because its appearently "posh". its not. you shouldnt care what people think. i used to let it really bother me when people laughed at my school. but i soon realised its not a big deal.
its no different than going to a religious school or a public school.
my school which is public is also a catholic school and i used to get some REALLY bad stuff said to me and my friends... i used to walk an extra mile home just so i wouldnt have to walk through their school "terretory". but now, i am applying for sixth forms and stuff and i noticed that all the kids who picked on me for years are all desperately trying to get good enough results to get into our sixth form.
just shows doesnt it....
be proud!

x x x
Rosamund123
is the state school near you absolutely terrible or something? I just don't understand why you'd waste your money on school fees when they could be spent on something a lot better (such as holidays!). if the nearest state school to you really is a sink school, I can maybe see where you're coming from. apart from that... I just think you have no reason to complain about lack of money when you could save yourself about £3000 a term by moving to a comprehensive!

if you're prepared to work, they WON'T fail you

I can't begrudge my parents' decision not to send me to a comprehensive. They have made sacrifices. I'll always be grateful for having parents who value me more than holidays! :biggrin:
Just get over it.
Reply 75
Rosaaa
Wow, bitter/jealous much?
That's quite a sweeping statement you made.

But a correct statement. I know people who were privately educated, and they just can't help themselves.

:damnmate:
Reply 76
AndiPeters
are arrogant snobs who are given everything in life

I love how you applied to Oxford, and were so bad that you got turned away from BATH!!! Pffft...

Someone's got idea's above his station...
whats up with all this 'discrimnation' towards private school pupils?
i never knew it existed...

and to those who say its wrong that some people can get a 'better start' to life - at the end of the day if you work hard , you;re gonna get the grades, regardless...its not like anyone who goess to a private school willl automatically get 12A*....
i would do if i used the word 'lest'... jesus

why would i be ashamed to have a decent education which will help me fullfill my potential and most likely allow me to be better off in the long run. if someone takes the piss, you've go SO much ammo to use back. :biggrin:
nope

Latest