The Student Room Group

I don't read

simply because most novel/books/literature simply don't interest me... i can analyse them so i'll be fine for my gcse english :biggrin: lol

but, i've never really been interested by books, i'd much rather prefer to spend my time reading about science or medical stuff or stories about medic student experiences LOL

so am i the only one?
or are there others who aren't made for literature material?

Scroll to see replies

I dont like old fashioned "literature" as such, but I do like a good thriller now and again xD
Reply 2
I'm in the same boat, but I feel as though, maybe i should have, or should start.

My essay skills are terrible and my vocab sucks when it comes to writing essays.
Reply 3
i can still manage to get full marks in writing and essay c/w though.. so it doesnt see to be affecting my writing skills too much
I'm not a fan of the old classics, but I love to read modern novels. Alternate histories are fascinating.
I dont read fiction, It just doesnt interest me that much.. id rather listen to music or read something that's biographical, political, sociological, or environmental based.
Reply 6
SoundDevastation
I dont read fiction, It just doesnt interest me that much.. id rather listen to music or read something that's biographical, political, sociological, or environmental based.

yeh i'd rather read something that i'll gain knowledge out of (unless somethings really funny), although many literatures are said to have a 'moral message' Lord of the Flies for instance, but, i can learn morals elsewhere...
Reply 7
I'm sorry but saying that books dont interest you is tantamount to saying life doesn't interest you. :rolleyes:

Your loss, anyway.
Reply 8
Saffie
I'm sorry but saying that books dont interest you is tantamount to saying life doesn't interest you. :rolleyes:

Your loss, anyway.

Well i'm sorry, but to me, books are not the meaning to life
Reply 9
Nothing wrong with that. Im sure you enjoy other things.

I seem to have stopped reading even though I quite enjoy it... I need to make the time for it.
Reply 10
purple clouds
Well i'm sorry, but to me, books are not the meaning to life
lol.
maybe if you read more, you'd have understood what I meant :smile:
Reply 11
I love reading, but if you don't enjoy it, then that's fine.
Saffie
lol.
maybe if you read more, you'd have understood what I meant :smile:

maybe:eyeball: :shifty:
Reply 13
The first whole book i read was 'Metamorphosis' by Franz Kafka :biggrin: and that was 2 months ago (i'm in first year of college) :biggrin: I had never read a whole book in my life and im proud to say i got an A&B from gcse english :biggrin: I joined college and found i was dyslexic,:smile: things are cooler now :smile: x
I hate all kinds of reading!! Yet I love A Level English Literature!! :p:

I've always hating reading and always will, it's sooooo :yawn: Don't tell Oxford :laugh:
me neither, much. taking AS english lit was a big mistake. :sigh:
wading my way through Jane Eyre took about 3 months and even then it was like sticking pins in my eyes.
Reply 16
Reading is :coma:

Especially when it shifts your perspective on the world just a little bit, and makes you really think about things you probably wouldn't have thought about otherwise.
I dont get how you could get an A in english if you dont read-i mean WTF
Walkin'Butterfly
I dont get how you could get an A in english if you dont read-i mean WTF

because the only thing i do read is the texts we're examinated on and writing usually turns out ok...i'm quite good at analysing stuff even though i think everything i'm writing is absolute rubbish
as someone said to me 'all you need to do to get an A in english is to write something that confuses the examiner but sounds good' lol
i loveeee reading.

my boyfriend hated it up until about a year ago when i convinced him to give it a go, as it would help him writing essays and such at uni, and reading textbooks...

now he's got 2 of my books to read and nearly always has a book on the go =]

if you havent tried reading for fun for a while, give it a go.