The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Norfolkadam
If you study English Language you must realise that our language has enormous death and wonderful variety.

Quoi? :eyeball:
Reply 21
zakiman
shank tem in teh booty!

LMFAO!!! You iz awesome :biggrin:
Reply 22
Planto
Your writing skills are pretty poor for an English student.

Actually, that's a lie. They're about right for an English student but poor for the average person.

People don't use long words because to "prove they're clever", they use them because they generally exhibit greater semantic depth, making for better-flowing, deeper and more interesting dialogue.

LMFAO.. my point exactly proven RIGHT THERE.
Yeah im an english student, i write properly when the need calls for it, who says i have to write like im a know it all, just so i sound like a proper english student??? HMMMMMM?????

Interesting dialogue? zZzZzZ... SORRY WHAT?
Reply 23
Fen
Before using long words, learn how to spell the simple ones.
Ungood++ for you!

Poor effort. Really.
I don't use long words to look intelligent, I use them because they fit/are appropriate. It's not my fault if you can't understand.
Reply 25
Planto
Poor effort. Really.

errr...Kill it with fire, then?
Reply 26
Planto
Your writing skills are pretty poor for an English student.

Actually, that's a lie. They're about right for an English student but poor for the average person.

People don't use long words because to "prove they're clever", they use them because they generally exhibit greater semantic depth, making for better-flowing, deeper and more interesting dialogue.

So, what you're saying is: people don't use long words to "prove they're clever", they use them because they generally show more meaning, making for better chats?
Fen
Before using long words, learn how to spell the simple ones.
Ungood++ for you!

Urm. Two of the words you highlighted are spelt correctly and the third was not a mispelling but just my brain being a bit of an arse. I obviously meant depth but writing this essay I've got death on the mind.
Reply 28
Profesh
So, what you're saying is: people don't use long words to "prove they're clever", they use them because they generally show more meaning, making for better chats?

HOLY ****! This is the FIRST ever post from profesh that did not require me to read over several times ... wow dude, I am ******* amazed! Gave my eyes a bit of rest :biggrin:
Reply 29
Kaykiie
LMFAO.. my point exactly proven RIGHT THERE.
Yeah im an english student, i write properly when the need calls for it, who says i have to write like im a know it all, just so i sound like a proper english student??? HMMMMMM?????

Interesting dialogue? zZzZzZ... SORRY WHAT?

You have to write like someone who isn't a moron to be considered not a moron. You know when "the need calls for it"? All the time. Yes. That's why the words were created. So they can be used.

By the way, being an English student, in this day and age, absolutely does not imply that you have any kind of talent for the English language. A sad state of affairs, but no less true for it.

There are some real idiots on this forum.
I really dislike long words, can't get my head round them, I just don't see the point.

I don't see the point in purposely misspelling either. That's a bit odd.
Reply 31
I think that we should stop feeding the troll.
Reply 32
ok.
Reply 33
Non long = short ?

Ah, the irony.
I was going to say "I wonder when Profesh will find this thread", but it seems he already has. :smile:

You're an English student, so... do you deliberately make the conscious decision to use simpler vocabulary and be lax about grammar? :s-smilie:

Maybe I'm making assumptions I shouldn't be, but as a Literature student myself, I would have thought that spelling, grammar and vocabulary would be something you'd know quite a bit about :s-smilie:
Reply 35
Norfolkadam
Urm. Two of the words you highlighted are spelt correctly and the third was not a mispelling but just my brain being a bit of an arse. I obviously meant depth but writing this essay I've got death on the mind.

Well, Earth should start with a capital letter is I think what he meant, but realise is right, unless you're American, which we're not.

So maybe someone should check before correcting something which is already correct!
Reply 36
Norfolkadam

Earth. Capital E.
...o.O and darn your British spelling!
*retreats*
Profesh!!!!
Reply 38
Fen
errr...Kill it with fire, then?

Burn its house down.
Reply 39
Norfolkadam
If you study English Language you must realise that our language has enormous depth and wonderful variety. I don't use long words to sound clever I use them because they express what I want to say much better than if I restrict myself to simple English. Why on earth would you take some kind of stance against expressing yourself? It's ridiculous.

Am i taking a stance against people expressing themselves? NOOOO

Im taking a stance against people alienating others by relegating posts etc, just because they dont sound intelligent enough.

Im not even taking a stance. Im ranting, difference is obvious mate...

Latest

Trending

Trending