The Student Room Group

I've become obsessed with living in America. What are the pros and cons?

Yes, I tend to get random ideas in my head and they tend to expand. Er... anyway. Thinking about where I'd live, if money was no object, or more realistically if I pass this degree and get a well-paid job. And I've come up with California. I don't quite know why. I think it's a naive assumption of sunshine and a lot of things going on in a busy area where all the houses look incredible.
And yeah, I'm the type of idiot who gets brainwashed by these glamourised portrayals of the USA in magazines and on TV shows. But I also have enough common sense, I hope, to know what's just idealised rubbish and what is true.

All I'm asking here is, realisitically speaking, would you consider life in the States to be better or worse than here, from every perspective; social, economical, political, career-wise, weather-wise :p: everything, really.

And I know this is a daft thread and I'm just waiting for the sarcastic one-liners to flow in thick and fast. But it's half past one in the morning so I'll hope you forgive me if I'm not making much coherent sense.

What are your thoughts? Am I being childish to assume that the grass is greener on the other side of the pond?

Thanks in advance to those who reply decently.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Me too. I want to steal a car and get on CNN.
Reply 2
I think it just has the extremes of what we experience here.
Some really good weather in some places, some awful weather in others.
Some really nice areas in some places, and some absolutely terrible **** holes in others.
It isn't all it's cracked up to be. Do a placement there for a year and see how you find it.
Reply 3
Lolled at the above post.

It's not just you. You haven't been watching the Stephen Fry programme by any chance have you?

You're probably right, too much American tv has brainwashed us all.

Lauren
Reply 4
EducatingBrogan
All I'm asking here is, realisitically speaking, would you consider life in the States to be better or worse than here, from every perspective; social, economical, political, career-wise, weather-wise :p: everything, really.

Having done a year in the states, I would consider it to be better over-all, though I can't really be arsed to go over everything now.

Washington would probably be my destination of choice though.

San Francisco is absolutely stunning BTW - you must visit it if you haven't already. Blew me away tbh...
Reply 5
*ok, not the above one, the one above that.
Positives:
The weather in certain locations.

Negatives:

Boy, are Americans stupid.
Reply 7
Well, as a kid i used to wanna live in America, but i've decided i'd hate it though. The major factor is the lack of free (at the point of delivery) healthcare, i don't think i could live with that system, not just personally, but the sick being refused treatment/prescriptions would kill me. Also, the politics seems to be a 2 party race and the poor schools tend to be really bad.

The lack of the BBC would also haunt me, i like having an independent television service.

However, you stand differently to me politically so you may like it tbh.
Reply 8
EducatingBrogan
Yes, I tend to get random ideas in my head and they tend to expand. Er... anyway. Thinking about where I'd live, if money was no object, or more realistically if I pass this degree and get a well-paid job. And I've come up with California. I don't quite know why. I think it's a naive assumption of sunshine and a lot of things going on in a busy area where all the houses look incredible.
And yeah, I'm the type of idiot who gets brainwashed by these glamourised portrayals of the USA in magazines and on TV shows. But I also have enough common sense, I hope, to know what's just idealised rubbish and what is true.

And I know this is a daft thread and I'm just waiting for the sarcastic one-liners to flow in thick and fast. But it's half past one in the morning so I'll hope you forgive me if I'm not making much coherent sense.

What are your thoughts? Am I being childish to assume that the grass is greener on the other side of the pond?

Thanks in advance to those who reply decently.

lol, my grandad lives in california lives a great life but he made all his money in england, i think its easier to make money in england than california. Make money here and then move abroad :smile:
Reply 9
I've always thought of it as culturally barren. Going there served to confirm this.
Reply 10
funny i've become obsessed with living in London
not forever though, just for a bit. after college, hopefully
Reply 11
The US is a better place to live if you are well off. Some pros:

- Nicer weather
- Cheaper cars
- Cheaper gas
- Cheaper insurance
- Cheaper houses
- Better educational system
- Better healthcare
- No speed cameras
- Swimming pools
- No chavs

Cons:
- Bad food
- No bacon
- People are annoyingly ignorant
Reply 12
I'd love to do a placement there, I've never been. I've been looking into summer jobs though and it sounds expensive, I know they pay some of it but with flights and everything... my mother wasn't best pleased when I told her I plan to bugger off far away for the summer.

A holiday would be enough perhaps to give me some idea of whether it's all I imagine it to be. Better start saving and get those hypnotism sessions booked before the plane journey :rolleyes:
Nishil

Cons:
- Bad food
- No bacon
- People are annoyingly ignorant

They do have bacon, although it's ****. Mostly fat and about 2cm wide. Wtf is that?
I'm the same as you, I get an idea and it just grows and grows :p: I want to live in LA after Uni really, living in Yorkshire has starved me of sunshine :frown:
Reply 15
niyaaaah
pros:
- fast food
- american accent
- atmosphere
- yellow taxis
- fat americans to keep you entertained

cons:
- rednecks
- fatties can pose a threat when using public transport
- complacent attitude to life
- most likely to die by a drive by
- why the **** would you want to live in a country that allows citizens to own firearms
- too many uni shootings
- too many crazy americans
- you'll turn fat

Stop talking ****. Those are the opinions of a inexperienced fool.
Ah, to live in America

####
PROS
####
GAMERS
FAST FOOD EVERY 2 CUBIC CENTIMETRES
OBAMA
Birth place of Carl Sagan (L)

#####
CONS
#####
"ZOmG GOD EXZISTS HONEST!"
"I CANT FIT THROUGH THIS FU**ING DOOR! YOU'LL SIMPLY HAVE TO HOIST ME THROUGH THE ROOF."
CREATIONISM
(High concentration of) ABSURDLY PATRIOTIC ASSHOLES
DUDE!
Reply 17
GodspeedGehenna
They do have bacon, although it's ****. Mostly fat and about 2cm wide. Wtf is that?

It's fat and its revolting. American people eat stupid food. Beef hotdogs? Turkey hotdogs? wtf you morons.

Chicken nuggets made of 27% chicken meat the rest being offcuts of beef wtf?

Also, I hate to dash your dreams but chances are you will never get a Permanent resident card to come and live here.
Reply 18
Nishil
Stop talking ****. Those are the opinions of a inexperienced fool.
you live in monaco, russia ffs...what do you know?
Pros: RKBA
The Constitution
Generally wealthier
Gets all the technology before us
Bigger span of weather
Better prospects for children if you're wealthy.

Latest

Trending

Trending