The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
crazyjoyce
not necessarily jealousy, i hate jack wills with a passion and have the money to buy it. its the less than wealthy shall we say :wink: that save up for for one hoodie, that annoys me

Why does that annoy you?
Reply 81
People that aren't as well off often mock more fortunate people because they don't deserve it, and didn't earn it. I would defend comprehensive schools because my parent's cant afford to pay for my education, and I don't want to seem ungrateful. My parents have worked really hard for not much, which is a horrible inequality which is, no offence, worsened by the parents of people who can afford it(OP).
They have no choice in the matter, and they are perfectly entitled to there parents money if the parents want to give it to them. And who cares if they didn’t earn the money, most people don’t earn most of there money. I walked past five council workers who were lifting a paving slab with some machine, or should I say one worker was lifting the slab and the rest were chatting as is usually the case on council jobs.
Reply 82
Renner
They have no choice in the matter, and they are perfectly entitled to there parents money if the parents want to give it to them. And who cares if they didn’t earn the money, most people don’t earn most of there money. I walked past five council workers who were lifting a paving slab with some machine, or should I say one worker was lifting the slab and the rest were chatting as is usually the case on council jobs.

Haha, I say, the peasants should be working harder! I dont care if their backs break! Crack the whip, I want my paving slab lifted, and I want it lifted now! I shall get daddy on them, and he'll show them what for!
re read the post that you quoted earlier smart one :wink:
Asteron
Perhaps you should have gotten a better upbringing and learnt how not to be an elitist snob who cannot form relevant or effective insults.

So having a better upbringing is being able to form effective insults!? RIGHT.
Reply 85
Renner
They have no choice in the matter, and they are perfectly entitled to there parents money if the parents want to give it to them.

QFT.
Especially if you're still at school - what say do you have in your parents' house or your parents' holiday choices or where your parents shop for food?
Getting mocked for something stupid you do yourself, well that's a bit more acceptable. but getting mocked for things you can't help isn't nice :no:
Reply 86
Haha, I say, the peasants should be working harder! I dont care if their backs break! Crack the whip, I want my paving slab lifted, and I want it lifted now! I shall get daddy on them, and he'll show them what for!
If there not working then what do we pay them for, when my dad used to work for the council he got told to slow down because he was making the others look bad....

Don’t work hard get sacked, it’s fairly simple. But those daft left wing employment laws and unions make this almost imposable.
Reply 87
sadie-kiki
QFT.
Especially if you're still at school - what say do you have in your parents' house or your parents' holiday choices or where your parents shop for food?
Getting mocked for something stupid you do yourself, well that's a bit more acceptable. but getting mocked for things you can't help isn't nice :no:

So if you're agreeing with the OP, it's stupid not to be able to afford a private education? Or Jack Wills clothing? Or have regional dialect? How can people help their accent? It doesn't make them any worse or better?
sadie-kiki
QFT.

That's the danger of associating with plebs. We take the piss out of each other regularly: it's a way of deflating the ego and making sure you don't take yourself too seriously.
Reply 89
Renner
If there not working then what do we pay them for, when my dad used to work for the council he got told to slow down because he was making the others look bad....

So you'd have their jobs taken away (and judge them negatively for doing no work) because a higher up didn't give them enough work to do or had five men replace one slab.

Well done.

Not.
Mikimoto
Why does that annoy you?

because its obvious that the person wearing the item clearly wouldn't usually shop at JW and has done purely for that one hoddie - just for the image it gives off
Reply 91
crazyjoyce
because its obvious that the person wearing the item clearly wouldn't usually shop at JW and has done purely for that one hoddie - just for the image it gives off

It's probably so they don't get ripped by some stuck up bitch whose entire wardrobe is from there.
Reply 92
Both inverted snobbery and snobbery annoys me.

Being in the middle, I receive both =[ to the chavs I'm posh and to the upper classes I'm a pleb ><
Reply 93
Millmill
So if you're agreeing with the OP, it's stupid not to be able to afford a private education? Or Jack Wills clothing? Or have regional dialect? How can people help their accent? It doesn't make them any worse or better?

:confused:
I know...that's why in my post before I said that mocking people for things they can't help, be it at the upper or lower end of the social scale, ist a bad thing. and I think it's wrong that it's seen as acceptable one way but not the other. So, in a way, I am agreeing with OP in thinking that reverse snobbery is wrong, but I don't agree with how she put it in such an "I'm better than you" way. As I wrote before...
Reply 94
So you'd have their jobs taken away (and judge them negatively for doing no work) because a higher up didn't give them enough work to do or had five men replace one slab.

Well done.

Not.
As I edited, the higher up probably can't sack them. And being an idiot is almost a requirement of being a higher up in the council, so it wouldn&#8217;t surprise me if what you said was actually true. But then a next rung of the ladder probably can&#8217;t sack idiot supervisor, because of daft employment laws etc.
Reply 95
fadetogrey
I really don't understand why people attempt to look down on people who have more than themselves.

It's things like:
People who can't afford JW claim they hate it.
People who can't afford to go to public schools say that comprehensives are better.
People who speak with terribly common accents mock RP.

I'd rather be well dressed, well educated and well spoken than plebian.

You sound like such a snob haha. A lot of people i know don't wear Jack Wills & Abercrombie **** becuase it looks awful and you look like a clone of every other boy/girl at your school. I go to a private school, and at every oppurtunity 90% of the people there will be donning all their latest 'sweet threads' from these overpriced and overrated brands and i think they all look rediculous.

And to whoever said charity shops were awful for clothes, you sir are wrong. I got a shirt for £3 the other day, it would have cost at least £20 at another shop. That leaves me £17 to play with, AND i still got a shirt :wink:

It's all down to personal opinion at the end of the day Wear what you want to wear, but assuming that the only reason not everyone is walking around in 'JW' is becuase they can't afford anything else is rediculous!!
An inverted snob is someone who is mega rich, yet drives old Volvo's and wears charity shop clothes.

OP FAIL.
Reply 97
sadie-kiki
:confused:
I know...that's why in my post before I said that mocking people for things they can't help, be it at the upper or lower end of the social scale, ist a bad thing. and I think it's wrong that it's seen as acceptable one way but not the other. So, in a way, I am agreeing with OP in thinking that reverse snobbery is wrong, but I don't agree with how she put it in such an "I'm better than you" way. As I wrote before...

Oh yeah, sorry!! I only read one post you put ages ago and then this one, sorry lol. Yeah, I agree with you that both forms of snobbery are wrong, but I think that the OP just reinforced why 'poor' people mock 'rich' people.

Sorry lol :p:
Reply 98
Make your own style and stop being so materialistic with daddy's money.
Yusuf.T
I like be common, beats being a tight arse snob :smile:

lmao I'd just like to say I love your siggy.. its so true the way people go on over grades here. :giggle:

Latest

Trending

Trending