The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
He did seem quite believable on the whole, though one or two things didn't ring true. But is he just a bit of a joker or deeply troubled?
Reply 61
deianra
Yeah :smile: The major giveaways for me, were Balliol and Maths camp.

There was quite a lot of other stuff that the other forum people found, and together - nothing added up, apart from in-depth knowledge about Westminster.

Anyhoo, I will say this though - Baz gave me a lot of advice, and regardless of who he was/how much he lied, he wasn't a bad bloke. He was pretty okay, and I liked him. Also, he told me to do Further Maths. I strongly believe that my offer weigned heavily on the fact that I self-taught this A-level (the advice was pretty good, at least - so don't worry Raph!).

:smile: :smile:
Reply 62
deianra

Anyhoo, I will say this though - Baz gave me a lot of advice, and regardless of who he was/how much he lied, he wasn't a bad bloke. He was pretty okay, and I liked him.

i'd be inclined to agree with that. i did like 'Baz', perhaps more so than the potential ressurection.

but now i feel slightly freaked out at the extent of knowledge beyond that which is "useful" to a prospective applicant. :eek: :frown:
Reply 63
deianra
Yeah :smile: The major giveaways for me, were Balliol and Maths camp. But there was also rowing, Cambridge, the IPs, the Economics...

What made you suspicious about these? Although I never really paid much attention to his posts, I don't recall ever seeing 1 and thinking - hang on, that's a load of *******s!
Reply 64
Elles
but now i feel slightly freaked out at the extent of knowledge beyond that which is "useful" to a prospective applicant. :eek: :frown:

So he was an applicant?

Hehe. :biggrin: Wouldn't have guessed.
Reply 65
d750
So he was an applicant? Hehe. :biggrin: Wouldn't have guessed.

No wonder knows who he is. That's the scary bit :eek:
Reply 66
d750
So he was an applicant?

Hehe. :biggrin: Wouldn't have guessed.

no, no.. that's not what i mean.. sorry!

i meant - i understand how Meg found his comments useful - he was certainly clued up with economics & perhaps admissions etc. & did seem charming at times.

but from my perspective, if he wasn't who he said he was, then the info about me personally is a little unnerving & would have taken some research i should imagine.
Reply 67
Elles
no, no.. that's not what i mean.. sorry!

i meant - i understand how Meg found his comments useful - he was certainly clued up with economics & perhaps admissions etc. & did seem charming at times.

but from my perspective, if he wasn't who he said he was, then the info about me personally is a little unnerving & would have taken some research i should imagine.

Sorry - wrong end of the stick.

There must have been a core of truth in what he was saying, as he did seem very well clued up. How do you know for sure that he wasn't who he said he was?
Reply 68
deianra
There was quite a lot of other stuff that the other forum people found, and together - nothing added up, apart from in-depth knowledge about Westminster.

Yeah, he had in-depth knowledge about a lot of things, including rowing (though I found some flaws). And his admissions advice is mostly sound. However, while he could be perfectly nice and useful, he's also very emotionally manipulative. And as Elles said, the amount of personal information unearthed is somewhat scary :eek:
Reply 69
deianra
Are we doing a mass forum 'outing' session? Am I allowed to reveal all my hidden "bad Baz" information?

Go for it! I'm still wondering what the hell is going on? :confused:

A. :smile:
Reply 70
deianra
Are we doing a mass forum 'outing' session? Am I allowed to reveal all my hidden "bad Baz" information?

*looks to shiny, oh-glorious-leader-of-the-Oxbridge-subforum*

Shiny has run away :confused: It's up to you...
Reply 71
Shiny's delegated leadership to me, and I say definitely. I make only one suggestion - that we classify Baz's many fanciful claims (for example, stories about rowing, stories about Economics, stories about Maths, stories about universities he's been accepted at, stories about exam results) because otherwise their sheer number will hamper clarity.

Definitely agree with Deianra's point, mind you. He could be a little narrow minded on certain issues, but generally seemed to be doing his best to help applicants. He even recommended a very useful Economics textbook to me!
Reply 72
(a) since when have I been leader? :confused:
(b) and even if was, I would never delegate leadership to H&E :biggrin:
Reply 73
You have done, several times...I posted as your proxy for about a week a couple of months back.
Reply 74
H&E
You have done, several times...I posted as your proxy for about a week a couple of months back.

Oh yeah, I don't know what I was thinking :biggrin:
Reply 75
Well SOMEONE start the ball rolling :biggrin:
Reply 76
:biggrin:

Might as well get going then...
He claimed to have a 5:57 PB for 2,000m ergo, at the same time as being a lightweight oarsman. This would make him the world record holder by, I think 5 seconds, a huge margin. He also claimed to have rowed for GB U23's, which he called GB B team. He was the only person I've ever met to use the phrase GB B team; furthermore, he couldn't point to any races he participated or crews he rowed for. He also claimed to have been the Isis spare man, which is bloody unlikely with a 5:57 2k; and anyway no-one in the Blue Squad had heard of a Balliol rower with his supposed name (Chris/Chrisitan). He never, ever pointed to a photo of himself, despite the fact that there are loads of photos of any Oxford crew racing all over the shop. There are a good half dozen of me, and I've only raced once in Oxford, a in qualifying race for Torpids! Nor did he ever produce a crew list for any of the WSBC, OUBC, or CULWBC crews he claimed involvement with at various points; nor indeed any GB crew.
Reply 77
So from that we know that... he exaggerated about rowing?

He did certainly seem to have been at Westminster and then gone on to do PPE, though perhaps not at Balliol, and perhaps not a double first? Perhaps he was never doing an MPhil at Cambridge, and the whole Maths thing is a little dubious too.
Reply 78
Certain IP investigations have shown he never posted from a computer within either the Cambridge or Oxford networks.

As for rowing, on top of H&E's technical stuff, I did a little stalking on Jet Photographic, looking at Balliol's first boat in Eights. He said he was rowing at Bow for the first two days then moved to 7, but in the pictures these were the same people all week. When I challenged him a few months later, he said he had always been at 7, but why change the story. He also claimed to be trialling with CULRC, but as soon as I mentioned I'd seen them out on the river (they trained at the same time on Tuesdays as my novice boat last term) he mysteriously got himself injured and had to quit trialling. :rolleyes:
13A*, 6A, Westminster School, Double 1st in Balliol PPE, Blues rower, Goldman Sachs internships, Cambridge PhD. Too good to be true? Yes.

Latest

Trending

Trending