The Student Room Group

Difficult Decision - home schooling and UK med schools

OK so now i'm going on to do my A-levels next year. My sister had homestudied 4 AS subjects, did the exams in the British council and passed with AAAB and is now studying Medicine at a local university. My parents want me to do the same. I suppose I could, but instead I want to study in the UK (unlike my sister), medicine. The question is, will universities like imperial, king's, liverpool and Leicester accept students like me? Will they ask for a referee? Please help.

This is very important as re-registration for the sixth form starts next week. I really need to make a decision on whether I should join the sixth form or not bearing in mind that my parents want me to homestudy.

Thnx.
Reply 1
Medicine at any unversity involves firece competition and it is very difficult to obtain an offer, but there's always a chance. I would advise that you get a fair bit of work experience in a medically realted enironment or just somewhere that involves a good interaction and communication with others.

I don't know how well it would go down with your parents, but I would definately sign up to a sixth form. You may not need much help with your studies and you may be independent, but sixth form will definately give you a chance to get to know new people (students and teachers). I know that the social aspects of sixth form and university are very different, but having studied at a sixth form, there will be a better transition for you at university.

I wouldn't know anything about homestudying, but it's not something I would consider doing - I do enogh homework and coursework as it is!!

Good luck with all your decisions!
Reply 2
Will a referee be required for the UCAS application?
Reply 3
which subjects are you taking Fahad? & surely doing all the lab work of Biology & Chemistry (which are pretty important) would be much easier in a 6th form?

anyway, i can't imagine they would discriminate against you purely for being homeschooled - but you'd have to show a range of extracurriculars i think to compensate.

with regards to current medics who were homeschooled.. i can't think of anyone i know. although a girl from my 6th form was until she was 16 & is now doing medicine at cambridge.
Reply 4
Fahad
OK so now i'm going on to do my A-levels next year. My sister had homestudied 4 AS subjects, did the exams in the British council and passed with AAAB and is now studying Medicine at a local university. My parents want me to do the same. I suppose I could, but instead I want to study in the UK (unlike my sister), medicine. The question is, will universities like imperial, king's, liverpool and Leicester accept students like me? Will they ask for a referee? Please help.

This is very important as re-registration for the sixth form starts next week. I really need to make a decision on whether I should join the sixth form or not bearing in mind that my parents want me to homestudy.

Thnx.

ring the admissions tutors at the universities you're considering and see what they would suggest as preferable. personally i think a sixth form college would be wise as otherwise it would be a big leap startnig university, especially in another country! plus you'd have support from your peers.
Reply 5
You will need A2's as well as AS...
Reply 6
I reregistered for AS biology, chemistry, physics and maths for next year at a sixth form. Thanks guys for the advice! :smile:
Reply 7
Hi,

Im doing A-Levels in the UK, and I was wondering if it is possible to do A-Levels with Homeschooling. If so then how should I approach it?

cheers
Raul
Reply 8
I am homeschooled and doing A-levels. The only real difficulty I found was finding an exam centre, but it is possible! I'm taking my exams abroad cos its easier for me, but there are exams centres in the UK. Are you considering doing A-levels from home?

Latest