The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Rubix
Why does it have to be representative? If it's trying to achieve something, why not go against the trend. It's not positive discrimination if the aim you're trying to achieve is to reduce discrimination in future generation.

Because when I go for a job, I want to know I'm not going to be rejected because the company is piloting some pseudo-politically correct positive discrimination scheme.

Positive discrimination is never right, and neither is negative.

The best person for the job, should get the job. Not the one who'll show the company is diverse and promote a good image. That's just wrong. You'd be disgraced if she hadn't got the job because she was disabled, yet not because someone doesn't get a job for being white/not disabled/not part of any minority group?
Reply 81
DanGrover
I think the earlier, the better. I think it's important that we get to them before the playground prejudices entice them to being raging anti-paedophiles. It's better to form their opinions for them than to try and shape them later, and if there's anything childrens TV should be for, it's for forming children's opinions for them. I think the same is true for disabled people - maybe having a presenter with a severe case of relapsing multiple sclorosis will go over their heads sometimes, but if they see the presenter have an episode of fits and shakes on TV, they'll soon learn. They need it in their faces. All over their faces.

You sir are an idiot. Every one of your arguments have gaping holes in them. They are nothing but inflammatory. Enough of your nonsense.
OP has a problem with little children seeing people with disabilities?

What happens if you have a child, and you're walking down the street and you happen to see a disabled person? What do you do, cover your child's eyes? Hurry little Jimmy away from such a "grotesque" sight?

What an idiot.
Rubix
Answer the question, why is it offensive?

If you must know, sweetie pom, it's disturbing in the same way a car crash is. It's not pleasant to see blood gushing out of someone and lots of people are squeamish when they see vanessa feltz being cut open (and indeed vanessa feltz at any time) and so, i think lots of people will be disturbed by seeing a stumpy run around after kids.

I respect her though. Im not being disrespectful.
Rubix
You sir are an idiot. Every one of your arguments have gaping holes in them. They are nothing but inflammatory. Enough of your nonsense.

I don't understand. Can you demonstrate the holes, rather than ignore them for me please? Also, watch your mouth - it's simply filthy.
Rubix

which uni you at?
Reply 86
junglemonkey
Because when I go for a job, I want to know I'm not going to be rejected because the company is piloting some pseudo-politically correct positive discrimination scheme.

Positive discrimination is never right, and neither is negative.

The best person for the job, should get the job. Not the one who'll show the company is diverse and promote a good image. That's just wrong.

It's not positive discrimination because the employers are looking for black and disabled people for a specific role in their organization, to reduce future prejudices. There's a subtle but very important differentiation. They're not discriminating just because they want to look good. They're accepting that they are looking for a black or disabled person, but it's for a very positive reason.
Reply 87
Phonicsdude
If you must know, sweetie pom, it's disturbing in the same way a car crash is. It's not pleasant to see blood gushing out of someone and lots of people are squeamish when they see vanessa feltz being cut open (and indeed vanessa feltz at any time) and so, i think lots of people will be disturbed by seeing a stumpy run around after kids.

I respect her though. Im not being disrespectful.

The children won't find it disturbing and they're the target audience.
Phonicsdude (and OP as well really), what wold you do if your arms were sliced off in a freak accident?
So is it right then to sack her JUST because she has part of her arm missing? And just because she DOES have part of her arm missing doesn't mean she wasn't the best person for the job.
And I'm sorry but a black person and a white amputee aren't representative of the population? Just because not everyone is black and not everyone is an amputee. So on every show there should be a black non amputee and a white non amputee just so that it is more representative of the regular population? Or the amputee should be presenting with another white person?
Rubix
It's not positive discrimination because the employers are looking for black and disabled people for a specific role in their organization, to reduce future prejudices. There's a subtle but very important differentiation. They're not discriminating just because they want to look good. They're accepting that they are looking for a black or disabled person, but it's for a very positive reason.

But in turn they are discriminating against those who aren't part of a minority, how is that okay?!
Reply 91
I disagree wholly that it is wrong or grotesque, but I also hold little doubt that there is a two-armed woman somewhere who lost out on the job because the BBC suddenly realised they had fallen short of their amputee quota.
Bobo1234
Phonicsdude (and OP as well really), what wold you do if your arms were sliced off in a freak accident?

Give myself a round of applause and spend the rest of forever knitting.
Happy_Holidays
So is it right then to sack her JUST because she has part of her arm missing? And just because she DOES have part of her arm missing doesn't mean she wasn't the best person for the job.

She should never have been given the job in the first place! Subtle difference. It;'s too late now, the damage is done. youth have been corrupted.
Reply 94
junglemonkey
But in turn they are discriminating against those who aren't part of a minority, how is that okay?!

Why won't you understand! Jobs always involve discrimination against the majority, because they aren't capable of doing the job! The majority white and abled bodied people aren't required here. They can't do the job the BBC wants done.
I think it's a good thing. Kid's stare at EVERYTHING. It annoys the crap out of me, but if they are subjected to something that's not normal like that. It will become a boring and normal thing and thus no more staring!

If only they had a presenter with Tourettes Syndrome and who do not have a swearing tic. That would be marvelous.
Rubix
Why won't you understand! Jobs always involve discrimination against the majority, because they aren't capable of doing the job! The majority white and abled bodied people aren't required here. They can't do the job the BBC wants done.

What if the job I want done, as a massively racist baker, is for white people to bake swastika crossaints? Is that OK? What if I'm running a greyhound track and I just don't want women working there? The jobs I want filling can't be done by women, because I'm not looking for them? What about if I employ loads of Chinese people to make little model ships in bottles in a whorehouse in Shoreditch, and I want a neo-colonial supervisor to whip them when they do wrong, but I only want him to be black in a bizarre historical switch of irony - is it OK to dismiss everyone else, just because I want a black man?
Rubix

But the reason for "discriminating" should be pertinent to the job not some random factor like race or gender.

Can they do the job properly and with an expected moral code?

That is the only question.
Reply 98
ten bob
Children's television channel CBeebies have two new presenters.

However, one of them has had half her arm lopped off, from the elbow down.

Do you think it's immoral for children to be shown such grotesque images at an early age?

I tell you what, head over to Vietnam/Cambodia and see how their kids are dealing with the 'grotesque' images. You are truly an idiot my friend. Go find something better to do with your time...
DanGrover
What if the job I want done, as a massively racist baker, is for white people to bake swastika crossaints? Is that OK? What if I'm running a greyhound track and I just don't want women working there? The jobs I want filling can't be done by women, because I'm not looking for them? What about if I employ loads of Chinese people to make little model ships in bottles in a whorehouse in Shoreditch, and I want a neo-colonial supervisor to whip them when they do wrong, but I only want him to be black in a bizarre historical switch of irony - is it OK to dismiss everyone else, just because I want a black man?

YES. They need those jobs done.
:shifty:

Legendary post, btw, haha.

Latest

Trending

Trending