The Student Room Group

The truth about geog...

...? Is it really considered to be an easy subject? I love geography and i really wanted to do it at uni until loads of ppl sed not 2 do it coz its not regarded as a very good course/degree?

Wot should i do... i dont no wot job a want to do, but i do really want to do geog. im in 2 minds.... hmmmmm

any advise?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just ignore people who say things like that. They obviously have no idea what they're talking about. What would you rather do, a subject you love for three years or one that you hate just because it's seen as more respected? Geography is a great subject, if you enjoy it then go for it
Reply 2
Thanks... its good to hear some postive feedback... lol
Reply 3
loumatti
...? Is it really considered to be an easy subject? I love geography and i really wanted to do it at uni until loads of ppl sed not 2 do it coz its not regarded as a very good course/degree?

Wot should i do... i dont no wot job a want to do, but i do really want to do geog. im in 2 minds.... hmmmmm

any advise?

I went thru exactly what you appear to be going through now until the point where i actually wrote out a personal statement for law.. I soon realised that i want to do geog, it is the ebst subject ever!! and quite honestly it opens so many doors and shuts a few medical ones.. who wants to be a doctor anyway!!
Reply 4
Yeh i thought the same as you did! but id rather spend 3 years doing what i loved rather than something i wudnt enjoy cos i just wudnt out the effort in
Reply 5
I went through the same thing and almost applied for Law. Then I realised Law was boring, Geog was my passion, and as long as it comes from a good uni, you can do anything with a Geog degree that you can do with any other non-vocational degree.
Reply 6
I always always always wanted to go to exeter to do geo but i was too thick :frown: *sniff* more to do with the wrong A level choices tho lol
Reply 7
LemonLime
I always always always wanted to go to exeter to do geo but i was too thick :frown: *sniff* more to do with the wrong A level choices tho lol

Don't be silly! Portsmouth's a great uni too. That is where you go, right?! :biggrin:
Reply 8
lol yeh! what gave it away?! hehe im quite glad i focused on the bits of geography i love tho
It's not "easy" but it's not exactly as rigorous as medicine. :wink:
It IS a good course/degree - just think - you get: transferable skills and subject-specific skills (e.g. cartography and some stats) and you get FIELDWORK! :biggrin:
Reply 10
:party: :party: :party:
Reply 11
thanks guys, thats all bin postive advise and i think its the course im considering the most. im considering durham, oxford and bristol. however, i dont think im quite clever enuf... but i can try...
Reply 12
loumatti
thanks guys, thats all bin postive advise and i think its the course im considering the most. im considering durham, oxford and bristol. however, i dont think im quite clever enuf... but i can try...

I got into two of those, and this time last year would never have imagined I could!
Reply 13
Chardonnay
I got into two of those, and this time last year would never have imagined I could!

well im doin geog, economics, maths and physics at AS level. i think il get an A in economics and maths and hopefully maths (as long as i revise loads) but 4 physics i think i can only get a B.
wot r the best unis 4 geog with AS level AAAB.
next year im prob gonna drop physics so hopefully, with a lot of hard work, il get A levels AAA.
wot do u think?
Reply 14
loumatti
well im doin geog, economics, maths and physics at AS level. i think il get an A in economics and maths and hopefully maths (as long as i revise loads) but 4 physics i think i can only get a B.
wot r the best unis 4 geog with AS level AAAB.
next year im prob gonna drop physics so hopefully, with a lot of hard work, il get A levels AAA.
wot do u think?

I got AAAB at AS and am predicted AAA and an A in critical thinking at A2 level, and I got into all six of my choices, including Bristol, Durham and Nottingham.
Reply 15
Chardonnay
I got AAAB at AS and am predicted AAA and an A in critical thinking at A2 level, and I got into all six of my choices, including Bristol, Durham and Nottingham.

wow! well dun! im really interested in those unis, durham, bristol, nottingham... wot other unis did u apply 4?
Reply 16
loumatti
wow! well dun! im really interested in those unis, durham, bristol, nottingham... wot other unis did u apply 4?

Exeter, Southampton and Sheffield.
Reply 17
Chardonnay
Exeter, Southampton and Sheffield.

they r like all my 'shortlisted' unis, all of the 6 u applied 2! scary!
i havnt bin 2 ne open days yet so i dont no wot any of the actual places r nice. which unis did u like the best?
Reply 18
You must visit places to get the right 'feel', as a campus uni is very different to an urban one - both have their advantages, but only you know how you react to the environment they provide.

If you are predicted AAA and got a good crop of GCSE results then Durham, UCL, Nottingham, Manchester, Bristol as well as Oxford/Cambridge would all be possibilities.

Good unis that ask slightly lower grades include Southampton, Sheffield, Exeter, Reading amongst others. You need to look at their individual websites and look at the structure of their courses VERY carefully. What might appeal to someone else, may not appeal to you. There are lots of people who have applied and visited lots of these unis this year - if you have specific questions after you've whittled it down from the uni prospecti and websites.
Reply 19
Definitely visit them ALL. Look closely at the course structure etc, visit the cities, make sure it's the right place for you. When I applied I was sure my firm would be Durham, but Bristol was where I fell in love with and Durham did nothing for me. It's all down to the individual. If you want any help with you PS or anything over the summer, I might be able to give you a few pointers!

Latest

Trending

Trending