The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Confused about the Scottish degree system!

OK, the more I read up about this on here the more confused I get. Basically I have an offer for English Language (MA) at the University of Edinburgh and it's likely to be my first choice. Using the TimeTab system I found outside courses that appeal to me and make up 120 credits.

English Language 1 (40 credits)
Introduction to Philosophy 1 (40 credits)
Religion 1A: Religion in the Contemporary World: Judaism, Christianity and Islam (20 credits)
Religion 1B: Religion in the Contemporary World: Indigenous Religions and the Religions of Asia (20 credits)

No idea if this type of structure is possible (but philosophy and english language are part of the same college and school)? Also, I don't understand how my degree would work from here (third and fourth years). I applied for English Language so I guess I'm forced to do that. Does that mean I could then do a joint honors with divinity or philosophy or simply just English Language.

I must sound pretty stupid, but I only found out about this scottish system recently as Edinburgh was thrown in as a last minute choice. So glad I did now - I'm hearing so many good things about it, but this is confusing me lol. :biggrin:

Bit lengthy, but hope you can help!
well although you have chosen english language the whole point of the scottish system is to give added flexibility. i know that that you can change between certain degree titles after a yr assuming you have taken the relevent modules. not sure if this applies in this case though.
you could always ring/email a tutor or someone for the admissions department if you wanted to know for sure. most unis are really helpful bout that kinda thing.
hope this helped.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Hi, I am a first year within PPLS (which is what english language is in).
The only compulsory course for the 4 year English Language MA (Hons) is English Language 1, I am assuming you are not an international student - the VS1/VS2 courses in both english language and introduction to philosophy are purely for international exchange students studying at edinburgh as either their year or semester abroad. For example, in first year you would have to do English Language 1 (40 credits) then you make up your other 80 credits with outside courses, within the philosophy department there is introduction to philosophy (40 credits) and also logic 1 and the philosophy of science (I think). Then you should be fine with religion 1A and B assuming there are no timetable clashes.
You will have one tutorial a week/possibly a fortnight for each of your subjects, and maybe other required attendance, I don't know - I'm a psychology student.
In 2nd year you will do English Language 2 (40 credits) and you have to carry on at least one of your outside subjects from first year - so pick something you will enjoy for two years! :biggrin:
At the end of 2nd year you choose your subjects for 3rd year, I think 100 credits have to be within language sciences. I'm not too sure about degrees which you can graduate in, your best bet would be to email the school (PPLS).

Hope I helped at least a bit!
Any more questions just quote me so I noticed you've replied :smile:

MDEH8176
OK, the more I read up about this on here the more confused I get. Basically I have an offer for English Language (MA) at the University of Edinburgh and it's likely to be my first choice. Using the TimeTab system I found outside courses that appeal to me and make up 120 credits.

English Language 1 (VS1)
English Language 1 (VS2)
Introduction to Philosophy 1 (VS1)
Introduction to Philosophy 1 (VS2)
Religion 1A: Religion in the Contemporary World: Judaism, Christianity and Islam
Religion 1B: Religion in the Contemporary World: Indigenous Religions and the Religions of Asia

No idea if this type of structure is possible (but philosophy and english language are part of the same college and school)? Also, I don't understand how my degree would work from here (third and fourth years). I applied for English Language so I guess I'm forced to do that. Does that mean I could then do a joint honors with divinity or philosophy or simply just English Language.

I must sound pretty stupid, but I only found out about this scottish system recently as Edinburgh was thrown in as a last minute choice. So glad I did now - I'm hearing so many good things about it, but this is confusing me lol. :biggrin:

Bit lengthy, but hope you can help!
Reply 3
MDEH8176

if you take english plus divinity or philosophy subjects in first and second year then you can easily switch to doing joint honours if the programme is available (you would need to speak to your director of studies about it) which is what makes the scottish system very good as it allows scope and changes in your degree subject. If you decide after years 1 or 2 that you dont like english language but you like philosophy and have taken the right modules, you can even switch to just doing philosophy!

hope that helps
Jillee
In 2nd year you will do English Language 2 (40 credits) and you have to carry on at least one of your outside subjects from first year - so pick something you will enjoy for two years! :biggrin:

You don't have to take on two of them to second year. They reccomend it when you have the meeting at the start of second year, but it isn't compulsary. The main reason they say it is to stop you going crazy with the system and doing your main degree subject, then loads of one semester courses. You could potentially take English Language 1 and 2, and then 8 one semester courses which would be stupid as then if you didn't get 50% average in second year in English Language you're screwed. The reason they say take 2 into second year is just so that you've got more choice and back ups for honours, its not compulsary.

I'm PPLS too - linguistics.

OP: don't email the department about whether or not the degree in X and X exists. they probably won't email back anyway. but you can check on http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/08-09/dpts/list_dtps.php?schedule=I which is the degree regulations site. this lists all of the degree combinations that one can take from PPLS. You can take subjects from outwith your school though, so then just click on browse DPTs on the right hand corner, pick the school you want and they'll come up. Then if you click on each degree programme you'll see the compulsary courses you have to complete in first and second year to enter third year.

Latest

Trending

Trending