The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

NDGAARONDI
Yep. If not more. I thought of the converion course but it's cheaper for me to do a masters in my field, which I'd rather do now. Plus you'd either have to use your own money from saving up from jobs from holidays or gap year(s) or use a career development loan which has a bit of an interest.

yeah it's sure tough, probably not the best route then
911 need nelp
yeah it's sure tough, probably not the best route then

If anyone is seriously contemplating the CPE route I'd advise them to take one or two years out and work full time after completing their 'A' levels and save the majority of it. This would ease the burden of finding employment during university whether it's during term time or in the holidays. You will also know your results so the UCAS process might be easier on the mind so to speak. I wish I'd have thought of this when I was younger. :mad:
Reply 62
As I recall, the transfer from Scots to English Law is considerably easier than the reverse, am I right? A guy from football is a lawyer, and says it was an open book exam to convert, but if he was coming from England to Scotland, it's considerably more difficult.
This may sound really stupid ye. So basicay if I get BCbc and 2.1 LLB it is therefore very unlikely to pursue a career as a solicitor?(that's wat I want to be f u must know)

For your information,I have seen some unis offering 200 points for LLB and apparently u can pursue as a solicitor afterwards surely it all depends on what type of firms you are applying for?¿

Free to correct me if I am wrong.
Reply 64
0404343m
As I recall, the transfer from Scots to English Law is considerably easier than the reverse, am I right? A guy from football is a lawyer, and says it was an open book exam to convert, but if he was coming from England to Scotland, it's considerably more difficult.

That's what I've heard. I think it can depend on which Scottish uni your degree's from, though, and which modules you take - if you take the "right" modules you only have to do a few more to qualify in English law.
Reply 65
heard of Oxford Brooks anyone? just wonder if it is 'very bad'?
Their typical offer is BBB
NDGAARONDI
If anyone is seriously contemplating the CPE route I'd advise them to take one or two years out and work full time after completing their 'A' levels and save the majority of it. This would ease the burden of finding employment during university whether it's during term time or in the holidays. You will also know your results so the UCAS process might be easier on the mind so to speak. I wish I'd have thought of this when I was younger. :mad:

The other option is to work really hard, get as much experience as possible, plus a decent degree and hope to get a TC with a firm who will pay for the CPE and LPC plus provide a grant for living costs... Involves considerable luck and hard work but I'm sure it's worth it...
fly49
heard of Oxford Brooks anyone? just wonder if it is 'very bad'?
Their typical offer is BBB

Considered one of the best 'ex-polys' in the country. I think it's quite good tbh.
Reply 68
NDGAARONDI
Considered one of the best 'ex-polys' in the country. I think it's quite good tbh.

What do u mean ex-ploys?:confused:
fly49
What do u mean ex-ploys?:confused:

Ex-polytechnics. New universities which did not have university status before 1992 when John Major changed the law. I don't like using the term myself but since it's so commonly used here I felt obliged.
Reply 70
niyaaaah
i think brunel for something like BBC

...or not.

Brunel Law LLB Course Details
Entry Requirements
GCE A/AS-levels 340 (AAB) points Three A-levels required, preferably including English or History (though other suitably rigorous academic subjects also considered).
Law Foundation Courses can go pretty low, I think Staffordshire only needs 20 points...
Reply 72
There's places like lincoln or ex-polys which offer really low grades like CCC/CC or equivalent points but tbh there's not a great chance of practicing law at a high level with a degree from one of these places (though nor is it impossible i guess). Best bet is prob to do a different degree if you're just doing a general degree to go into something non-law related.
Reply 73
so if im @ AS now and working at an ABBB (with the 3 b's as predicted a's) andend up gettin somethin like ABB or somethin, would it be okay for me to go onto do law? because it is really competitive isnt it
menaa-x
so if im @ AS now and working at an ABBB (with the 3 b's as predicted a's) andend up gettin somethin like ABB or somethin, would it be okay for me to go onto do law? because it is really competitive isnt it

It would be ''okay'' but depending on where you are planning on applying to. Considering how competitive law is, and the introduction of the A* (although I don't know what impact this will have on entry requirements) it wouldn't hurt to try and get higher grades than that.
Reply 75
sleekchic
It would be ''okay'' but depending on where you are planning on applying to. Considering how competitive law is, and the introduction of the A* (although I don't know what impact this will have on entry requirements) it wouldn't hurt to try and get higher grades than that.

i am planning to get higher than that cos my target grades are all A's =\ but i mean just incase because i doubt id get an A in english

thanks though!
Reply 76
River85
I think Queen Mary's now AAA, I may be wrong, it may be AAB. Quite astonishing that Liverpool were. Was this back around 2002/2003 as that's when I applied for uni and did look at some law courses but, despite my fantastic memory, can't really remember the typical offers (except Cambridge who were AAB and Durham were, I think, AAB-ABB).

Nottingham Trent, Oxford Brookes and Northumbria, arguably three of the strongest law departments in the new universities, ask for ABB, I think. Northumbria certainly do.

A number of firms have a BBB requirement (official or unofficial).

Talking about internships here, not training contracts, but when I was still consdering a career in law I looked into a few of the vacation schemes advertised by Durham and found all of them asked for candiates who have ABB at A-level at least (put me out of the running with my BBB - that's what you get for being ill :frown: ) These weren't just national/international firms like Linklaters and Irwin-Mitchell but also some of the large regional firms like David Gray.

Cambridge was AAB at one stage?
It seems bizarre that Cambridge was at one stage asking for something less than the best - although I understand that with grade inflation it makes sense for their grades to have gone up..I just assumed their conditional offer would always be the highest possible.
Reply 77
i was having a look at the entry 2009 prospectuses just earlier and LSE and queens both say AAB. but im sure theyre AAA?!

I dont know if ANYWHERE would accept me for law because a lot of uni's i was looking at say they dont want law as an Alevel & also i do at which a lot of em dont accept for law :|
menaa-x
i was having a look at the entry 2009 prospectuses just earlier and LSE and queens both say AAB. but im sure theyre AAA?!

I dont know if ANYWHERE would accept me for law because a lot of uni's i was looking at say they dont want law as an Alevel & also i do at which a lot of em dont accept for law :|

The fact that they say they don't want law at A level doesn't mean they won't accept it especially if your other a levels are essay based.

What other subjects do you do?
Reply 79
menaa-x

LSE does give occasional AAB offers, but as far as I know, they're quite rare. The typical offer is AAA.

Latest

Trending

Trending