The Student Room Group
An awful lot of questions.

Talk about what your problem is, the effects you notice and then loads and loads of questions trying to identify the parts of studying where you are at a disadvantage. Things like how you get to uni, how you get around, reading lecture notes, seeing presentations, using library, carrying stuff around, using computers, typing, deadlines, using the phone etc etc etc.

Then the assessor will suggest things that might make your life easier, show you them, explain how they work, see if you think they'll be any use to you.
Reply 2
Just a really really long chat.
Think of things that might help you beforehand, so you don't forget to ask!
The assessor will suggest things that MIGHT help you that you didn't even think of.

It's not that scary, honestly.
Reply 3
Make sure you write down anything you think might be useful to help you remember it! (This helped me to make sure i got what i needed out of the session)
I agree with what everyone else has said; be prepared for a long chin wag with the assessor of what you'll get standard and what they feel will help with your studies.

:smile:
My assessment took near 3 hours! it was not scary though and the woman (who was lovely) had read up on the disability beforehand, so this was really useful. She was able to suggest all sorts of things, as its their job to make sure people with disabilites will not be at a disadvantage with their studies.

After a few weeks, you will be sent a very thick profile which explains where your weaknesses etc would lie and a list of equipment which they recommend would be beneficial to you. If you agree with all that has been said and recommended, they forward the report to your funding authority, then they contact you later(i had my assess. in August, heard back from the LEA in October) to confirm if your application has been successful.

You will be fine, it really is nothing to worry about.:smile:
Reply 6
Hey i had my assement this tuesday does anyone know how long will it take until i get my stuff and report? Any ideas?:biggrin:
Reply 7
yuna
Hey i had my assement this tuesday does anyone know how long will it take until i get my stuff and report? Any ideas?:biggrin:

the report can be anything from 2-4 weeks roughly (depending on the assessment centre)

my assessment was at the start of october and i didn't get my equipment and things til just before christmas - again, this very much depends on how long your LEA take to read the report, ok things and put in the order to the supplier
Reply 8
Just from working from an LEA, I can say that usually Needs Assessments should be turned around within 3 weeks of them arriving.

Saying that, I try to process any the same day they come into me. DSA students generate a lot of phone calls, so the quicker I can turn them around, the more time I have to focus on the other 3000+ students I'm responsible for.
Reply 9
Taiko its been more then 3 weeks a month now. And well things are getting very difficult my bloody lecturers are helping at all. Even though they dont realize it my disability. Honestly for lecturers it goes in one ear and out the other, annoying and frustrating!. About the Student finance and DSA should it take more then a month to sort things out? Fine i understand there are 3000+ students some people are responsible for but come on should it really take that long.
Have you had your Needs Assessment report yet?

If not you need to get in touch with the place you had your Needs Assessment and chase them for it.

If you've had your report and you've agreed it (if necessary) then you need to chase your LEA (or student finance depending on who you usually deal with) to see what they are doing with it.

Phone calls are the better way to chase things than email.

Latest