The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Unregistered
Hi, I am currently a University student considering becoming a pilot. I have always wanted to fly ever since I was a child. What would you say were the most important skills required to become a fighter pilot?

Dale

Practically impossible, loads of people apply to be officer pilots and all have usually served in the army, navy or RAF for at least 10 years already. They select people who they think have the qualities to become a pilot who are already in the armed forces, not just anybody with a degree in physics etc. The skills required are to join the armed forces, preferably the RAF but not necessarily, I knew someone that applied and was selected to train as a pilot from an army regiment and he was only a staff sergeant. You won't become a pilot simply with a degree though, you need to be military personnel first and 'work your way up'.
Reply 61
Wzz
I'm a serving fast jet pilot in the RAF. If anyone would like a bit of advice about getting in, I'd be happy to help; there's a hell of a lot of crap on this thread and I hate to see wrong info being batted around.

For example, there is no preference for upper class people. Adopt a posh accent and you'll look like an idiot afraid to be himself, and you'll be out.

The pilot scholarship scheme was a disaster, so the young gentleman patting himself on the back for being one of few out of 277 should be careful with those thoughts; the impression from the recruiters was that the majority were crap (hence why 198 IOT was virtually empty, for example). You were the required standard so well done, and the rest were abominable; it's not that you were spectacular! Watch that at IOT.

Being an Air Cadet will not help in most senses. You'll know more about the military, but do not expect to be given any credit for reeling off courses you've been on. It's all about your potential, and I've seen a lot of good air cadets rejected because they will not make good officers.

Don't turn up with details of the jet you'd like to fly too firmly in your mind; definately have something to aim for, but remember there's a long period of officer training and elementary flying training before you're selected for one of the three streams, and then there's another 2 years minimum of basic and advanced fast jet training before you're selected for a specific type.

If you don't know where to start with current affairs, watch the news every day and read a quality newspaper every day. Soon you'll be immersed enough that you'll be able to talk about the news.

Do remember you are joining the RAF as an officer first, pilot second. It is a hard job, and very difficult to get into and stay in. Study everything about it. If you don't know an awful lot about the job before you get there, you won't get it. You should be asking your AFCO and studying the RAF website at length.

If you want to be a commercial pilot, do not join the RAF to do it. Being trained as a military fast jet or helicopter pilot (for example) does not translate to a free civilian Air Transport Pilots' License when you leave. Remember it's not a quick or easy route to a civilian qualification; and you may have to go to war, fight and die while serving.

Direct any questions you like to me. I've worked in recuriting and am currently a pilot. [email protected]

*coughs* BULLSH@T *coughs* Don't believe this guy he is talking rubbish. He has probably read a couple of RAF recruitment pamphlet and is working for Burger King. And never even been in the cadets let alone an RAF pilot.
Reply 62
Unregistered764
*coughs* BULLSH@T *coughs* Don't believe this guy he is talking rubbish. He has probably read a couple of RAF recruitment pamphlet and is working for Burger King. And never even been in the cadets let alone an RAF pilot.

Please don't troll needlessly. What have I said, that in your evidently perfect opinion makes it apparent I'm not in the RAF?

Recruitment "pamphlets?" What are they? We don't do such things. Being a cadet has little to do with the RAF, but I was one once. And currently, I'm paid by the government to wear RAF officer rank, and fly every day.

So, if things have changed at OASC since I worked there (Jun 02-Oct 02) then feel free to say. Email me at [email protected] and let me know.
Reply 63
just wanted to say after reading this,

i am in the ATC

i am also a qulified glider pilot, with the raf!
i am also doing my ppl. (privet pilots lisence)

i have recenlty been turned down by the RAF because i had a knee op!
also if you have ever had asthma in your life at any stage, u wont get in, if you get a lot of colds or flu, u wont get in!!

so im turning to the airlines, but dont get me wrong, i will try the RAF one more time!! just in case.

wanna knw more on flying
e-mail me at [email protected]

cpl l jackson
aka maverick
Reply 64
never been
i have recenlty been turned down by the RAF because i had a knee op!
also if you have ever had asthma in your life at any stage, u wont get in, if you get a lot of colds or flu, u wont get in!!

Sorry to hear that. Things like knee damage can be big players, as obviously you're joining a fighting service. If you're likely to find yourself in enemy territory, a history of knee problems won't help your escape and evasion. Also, ejection's fairly bad for you as it is; a knackered knee likely to pop out after a 25G shock isn't going to stand you in good stead.

However, the broad brush comments about asthma and flu don't reflect current policy. If you've had asthma or hayfever, for example, you must be a certain number of years clear before you can be an officer. I can't recall the exact numbers but it's something like 8 years. There's a box on the medical form to tick if you suffer from "frequent colds or flu infections" or words to that effect, but just because you suffer from something they have a box for doesn't mean you're not eligible. It's just something that requires a bit more investigation.

cpl l jackson
aka maverick

Good luck if you decide to reapply; remember the standards are there for a reason, remember your integrity when filling in the forms, and I hope you're successful. But as a polite hint, I wouldn't keep referring to yourself as "Maverick" if you get anywhere near flying training......! :smile:
Reply 65
Unregistered096
Practically impossible, loads of people apply to be officer pilots and all have usually served in the army, navy or RAF for at least 10 years already. They select people who they think have the qualities to become a pilot who are already in the armed forces, not just anybody with a degree in physics etc. The skills required are to join the armed forces, preferably the RAF but not necessarily, I knew someone that applied and was selected to train as a pilot from an army regiment and he was only a staff sergeant. You won't become a pilot simply with a degree though, you need to be military personnel first and 'work your way up'.

Did you post this on another thread as well? It seems awfully familiar.

The upper age limit for selection as a pilot is currently 23.5. You won't find many people in training right now who have already been in the RAF 10 years. There's currently a handful of navigators going through fast jet training as pilots, but why take a valuable, effective navigator and change his job? The majority of people in training are straight from school or university.

The Army are different. The Army Air Corps is treated like a different post for a few years. As an NCO or an officer, you can join the AAC from your regiment, train, fly for 3 years (the length of a tour, on average), then return to your previous regiment and go back to the infantry or whatever.

You can certainly become a pilot with just a degree. When I went through Basic Fast Jet Training, there was a guy on my course who had originally joined the RAF with CCE A-levels. I had a degree in physics, actually, and it didn't do me any harm.

Before anyone accuses me of talking nonsense again; which is rather tiresome; if you let me know your nearest city I'll find the phone number of the nearest Armed Forces Careers Officer, and the name of the Office Commander, and you can give them a ring and ask what the requirements are to be a pilot....
Reply 66
Wzz talks a lot of sense. I'm currently going to officer selection in two weeks time, to try to become a Engineering officer. Application has taken me the best part of 11 months. I terms of being a pilot, the RAF prefer to take you straight from school, with min 4 GCSE's. If your application is successful and you become a pilot, roughly the age of 23 the RAF will then pay for you to sit a degree course at Uni or through Open University. The reason they they do this is it's easier to train pilots at this age and they have fully trained pilots that they can call on at a earlier stage. Some pilots have sat their degrees before coming applying to the RAF, but Wzz is right the max age is 23.5 years.

"Practically impossible, loads of people apply to be officer pilots and all have usually served in the army, navy or RAF for at least 10 years already. They select people who they think have the qualities to become a pilot who are already in the armed forces, not just anybody with a degree in physics etc. The skills required are to join the armed forces, preferably the RAF but not necessarily, I knew someone that applied and was selected to train as a pilot from an army regiment and he was only a staff sergeant. You won't become a pilot simply with a degree though, you need to be military personnel first and 'work your way up'."

The Guy that wrote that statement its a clown don't listen to this bullshit. The selection is very hard but if this is what you want to do, get down to the recruitment office and ask them about it. then you will know what it takes. Plus check out www.rafcareers where you can read up about it. Good luck i hope you have what it takes
Reply 67
unregistered
"Practically impossible, loads of people apply to be officer pilots and all have usually served in the army, navy or RAF for at least 10 years already.

Be aware of morons like this...completely untrue. Another case of OASC Failure leading to a huge chip on the shoulder?

The facts:

Min Age = 18.
Max age = 23.5

Qualifications reqd = 5 GCSE (c+) incl Maths and English & 2 A-Levels.

General medical issues = Should NEVER have had asthma, epilepsy, hayfever, diabetes or any other major injury or major medical problem. (this is ALWAYS decided by an RAF doctor during OASC).

Previous experience = none required.

Selection Process = Presentation at AFCO. Interview at AFCO. Full OASC selection process.

Training = Full Initial Officer Training of 24 weeks at RAFC Cranwell, followed by Elementary Flying Training (unless you trained with a UAS). Then you are streamed into either; Fast Jet, Rotary (heli) or Multi-Engine. This is followed by training for your stream and then Operational Conversion Unit for your aircraft type. Then more training until you are deemed Combat Ready. The full process can last between 3 and 6 years depending upon your stream and how many 'holds' you have in between courses.

If you require any info, please e-mail me at [email protected]
Reply 68
Ok, passed the first interview, now in jan/feb ill be off to cranwell to do part 1 OASC. One question, is there a 'minimum' weight requirement for pilots anyone knows about. I'm 5'8" but only weigh 9stone - should i be ok?
What a popular thread this is :smile:
Reply 69
Hi, My name is Tom, I am 15 and have always wanted to be a fighter pilot from the age of 3. The RAF careers website does not have its requirements for eyesight any more, last time I checked my eyesight was not up to scratch. Are they considering letting entrants in with laser eye surgery? Does the Army Air corps allow it? I know i have a tiny bit talent and would like to be able to at least try for pilot training, because on a simulator called Falcon 4.0 (not a game!) I managed to shoot down a Italien Tornado pilot in a heated dogfight, he made a basic error and over shot me, I shot him down in a classic example of a 3/9 Line over shoot manuver. This was a very basic error by the pilot and he will probably never repeat it again.
Reply 70
NickNack
Ok, passed the first interview, now in jan/feb ill be off to cranwell to do part 1 OASC. One question, is there a 'minimum' weight requirement for pilots anyone knows about. I'm 5'8" but only weigh 9stone - should i be ok?
What a popular thread this is :smile:

Going for the 1st interview in a few weeks. How did it go? Did you have to go into loads of detail on RAF history, current affairs etc?

Well done and hope to see you at Cranwell!
Reply 71
Tom,
on the medical standards sheet that came with my applications it says:

"The need for glasses/contact lenses may preclude from some branches. Refractive corrections greater than -7 or +8 dioptres or history of refractive eye surgery may preclude selection from service. Standars for air crew esp pilots is high."

If you understand that then your a step further than me, however eyesight isn't examined until you go for aptitude tests (part 1) at Cranwell so don't let it put you off applying. If you don't reach what their looking for in a pilot then you could still pursue another option.

"Medical" Standards for pilots are continuous for all types, and are defined by laws so I would expect theyd be the same for the Army and Navy. You must remember that even if you reach the standards, although your desire to be a fast jet pilot will be considered, in the end its down to what the RAF think your capable of, after IOT and elementary flying training, which will decide whether your put forward for rotary, muli engine or fast jet training.

Best thing to do I think, is to call up your local AFCO, arrange a presentation with your choice of service and ask their advice, it'll be 10x better than any you'll get here, mainly because it'll be unquestionable facts.

One thing though that people always seem to forget (at least the people I know who want to join) is that the armed forces isn't a 9-5 job, its a life and it could cost you it or require you to take someone elses. Very negative thinking there, but its reality. I said that to one guy and it was clear he hadn't looked at it from that pov.

-

As for the interview, it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting (and probably what you are). I was going for the Sixth form/Pilot Sponsorship so whether that made them more or less expectant on general knowledge I dont know. Make sure you know exactly what your applying for entales (short/permanent comission, sponsership, role of your chosen position(s) etc), details of aircraft used, latest models (Harrier GR7 upgrading to GR9 etc), their roles, and onboard weapons systems, and knowledge about world and home affairs for the last year or so, including names. I was asked about my oppinion on world events in the last year, and then asked to go into more detail on a specific area of my answer.

If you don't know an answer, be honest and say your not sure (I proably said that about four times). He/she will read you like a book if you try and blag your way through it. And dont try and say what you think they want to hear, it won't work, just be yourself.

Look at http://www.raf.mod.uk/equipment/index.html for the aircraft/ weapons side, it'll give you all you'll need.

Good luck, sure you'll get through it fine! You should be told the result straight away.
Reply 72
Wzz
Did you post this on another thread as well? It seems awfully familiar.

The upper age limit for selection as a pilot is currently 23.5. You won't find many people in training right now who have already been in the RAF 10 years. There's currently a handful of navigators going through fast jet training as pilots, but why take a valuable, effective navigator and change his job? The majority of people in training are straight from school or university.

The Army are different. The Army Air Corps is treated like a different post for a few years. As an NCO or an officer, you can join the AAC from your regiment, train, fly for 3 years (the length of a tour, on average), then return to your previous regiment and go back to the infantry or whatever.

You can certainly become a pilot with just a degree. When I went through Basic Fast Jet Training, there was a guy on my course who had originally joined the RAF with CCE A-levels. I had a degree in physics, actually, and it didn't do me any harm.

Before anyone accuses me of talking nonsense again; which is rather tiresome; if you let me know your nearest city I'll find the phone number of the nearest Armed Forces Careers Officer, and the name of the Office Commander, and you can give them a ring and ask what the requirements are to be a pilot....

I was the one that posted the 'Practicall impossible...' comment. Well average age 23.5 eh? Army personnel don't join eh? Well I know from first hand experience because my father was in the army (RLC, WO1) and a friend of my family who was in the same army regiment and a staff sergeant at the time (I think but can't really remeber it was quite awhile ago) was training to be a helicopter pilot. He was in his early 30's (I think). I don't know how he is doing now because we lost touch and moved away from the area. But he was training to be a helicopter pilot. I don't know much about the in's and out' of it all, but I know that much for sure. He applied and was selected for training (probably not the same as jet plane piloting slection procedure but it's still aircraft). So, erm, yeah...
Reply 73
It is possible he was applying to be an army pilot, this is from the army careers website:

"The upper age limit varies depending on the role. The more active front line roles have an upper age limit of 26 and 11 months. Some of the support roles will accept applications up to the age of 29 and 11 months"

I would presume Pilots would be classed as a support role not front line.

However, the upper age limit for an RAF pilot is 23.5 yrs old - fact. This has been quoted by people at the AFCO, the raf website and their booklets.
Reply 74
The Army system for Pilots is COMPLETELY different. For a start, you don't even need to be Commissioned to be an Army Pilot.

Given that this is an RAF pilot thread, you should only regard the statements made by people with info on RAF Pilot entry (i.e. Wzz).

If in doubt, drag yourself away from your PC, open the phone book and give your local AFCO a bell.....
Reply 75
please could u send me some infomation about the 4 day selection process to my e-mail adress ( [email protected] ). Im really interested in the RAF but a bit worried about the tests.
Thanks
Reply 76
hi
iv been interested in joing the raf for quite a while now and my older brother who is in the royal marines has been helping me out to get fit. im 14 now and im year 10. i never used to be fit at all, in fact i used to spend all my nights inside playing on my playstation. But over the last two years my brother has influenced me into getting fit and i have made a massive improvement. Now i am one of the fitests in my class. you said you need around 10 in the bleep test so im not worried about that because i did it in pe about two weeks ago and got 13.7. I am pretty confident about my fitness but very worried about the tests and achievements you need.please can you send me some info on the tests to [email protected].
in the e-mail if you can could you please answer as many of these questions as you can.

1)Do you have to go to university to get in?

2)Do you have to have been to ATC?

3)how much about the planes and RAF itself do you need to know

4)Im not really involved in much right now, what achievements do you need? Im doin duke of edinbourgh, is that any good?

Thanks alot - Tom
Reply 77
please could u send me some infomation about the 4 day selection process to my e-mail adress

If you drag yourself away from your PC and go down to the AFCO they'll show you a video about OASC.

If you require more info please e-mail me [email protected]

Dewhthom
hi
iv been interested in joing the raf for quite a while now and my older brother who is in the royal marines has been helping me out to get fit. im 14 now and im year 10. i never used to be fit at all, in fact i used to spend all my nights inside playing on my playstation. But over the last two years my brother has influenced me into getting fit and i have made a massive improvement. Now i am one of the fitests in my class.

That's the sort of motivation and lifestyle you need!

Dewhthom
you said you need around 10 in the bleep test so im not worried about that because i did it in pe about two weeks ago and got 13.7..

Level 10 is quite low for a young male at OASC.
13.7 is okay though.

Dewhthom
1)Do you have to go to university to get in?

Only if you intend to join as an Engineer, PEdO, Admin (Training), Catering Officer, Doctor, Dentist, Padre or Nursing Officer.

All other branches require a mere 5 x GCSE (C+) incl maths and english language) and 2 x A-Levels.

However, sometimes the RAF will recommend that you go to University in order to develop more maturity and confidence (this is why most 18 year olds fail).

Saying that, it IS worth giving it a shot before you go to Uni, because if you fail you'll probably be allowed to apply again after Uni anyway.

Dewhthom
2)Do you have to have been to ATC?

Nope. It does help demonstrate some good personal qualities though! Also, the activities you undertake (camping, walking etc) show them that you may be suited to military life AND it will help you develop knowledge about the RAF (good for your interview).

Dewhthom
3)how much about the planes and RAF itself do you need to know

Loads and loads and loads. Also, you need to be good at current affairs (read a broadsheet newspaper), know about NATO and the UN etc.

Dewhthom
4)Im not really involved in much right now, what achievements do you need? Im doin duke of edinbourgh, is that any good?

The more the better. DofE is excellent, but realistically you need to account for ALL your spare time. If you spend several hours a night sat on the PC, playing X-Box or watching TV they won't be impressed.
Reply 78
Level 10 is quite low for a young male at OASC.
13.7 is okay though.

If level 10 is quite low, and 13.7 is only "okay", why is the RAF pass mark for all serving members 9.1 for a 17-24 male??

I would have thought 13.7 was excellent, ask at the AFCO to be sure.
Reply 79
Unregistered
Hi, I am currently a University student considering becoming a pilot. I have always wanted to fly ever since I was a child. What would you say were the most important skills required to become a fighter pilot?

Dale

Go for it. If you want it bad enough reach for the skies!

Latest