The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't even deserve my offer. hehe.
Really happy, got the ones I wanted!! (and even managed an insurance offer)
It hasn't been a disaster, but it's left a bitter taste in my mouth.
Reply 4
M@255
This may sound sensational and over the top; but I'm just very sad at the moment. It's all gone so incredibly wrong *sobs* - don't know what I will do.

*cuddle*
mobb_theprequel
It hasn't been a disaster, but it's left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Because...?
I think if I had more than 6 choices possible I would have thought about philosophy at KCL and Politics with Parliamentary Studies at Leeds.
Reply 7
I feel fortunate that I had a pleasant application experiance, especially after reading some stories on here.

If I had had more then 6 choices, I'd have applied for Classics at St. Andrews. Not sure if I'd have taken it up though.
NDGAARONDI
Because...?

... it's such an arbitrary admissions system.
mobb_theprequel
... it's such an arbitrary admissions system.

It is and because of this people often choose more top universities than they pehaps might not have done if it wasn't so arbitrary. It's difficult to extrapolate your strength of your application when you here about certain events from people etc.
NDGAARONDI
It is and because of this people often choose more top universities than they pehaps might not have done if it wasn't so arbitrary. It's difficult to extrapolate your strength of your application when you here about certain events from people etc.

Agreed: it is hard to stand out from the crowd. More so than, perhaps, for any other course.
I had a rollercoaster experience!! I voted for the first option even though I didn't get into my first choice... let's face it UCL is practically as good as Oxford for law :biggrin:

I know you don't care but here's how it went for me:

05/11/04 - Southampton offer. My last choice but lovely to get off to a good start :smile:

03/12/04 - Manchester rejection. Real punch in the face just before oxford interviews! :frown: My biggest hope of getting into a top law school gone so soon!

14/01/05 - Oxford rejection. Well I expected this one really, although having been asked to stay behind for an extra interview had given me some hope, but ultimately I just have to accept they found 9 people more suitable than me :smile: Pleased that I was given a good chance and I feel I did myself justice.

20/01/05 - Exeter offer. Perfect pick-me-up after the Oxford rejection! :biggrin: Very happy here as Exeter was one I really wanted to go to (no offence to So'ton, I just liked Exeter a lot more).

waiting
long wait... other people getting lots of offers
getting worried
finally!
07/03/05 - UCL offer. Shocked and delighted! I still keep checking UCAS to make sure it's still there :p: :redface: Couldn't believe it at all!! So happy! Dancing and singing all night long. No sleep. Fell asleep at work the next day.

08/03/05 - Bristol rejection. Wow! The experience came to an end so suddenly! My first reaction was: thank **** for UCL! And thank God I got UCL first! :eek: Ultimately my Bristol rejection felt like a prod in the arm with a cotton bud :smile:

So.. I'm sorry for going into so much detail but I know I'm gonna look back on this fondly. I hope those of you still waiting end up similarly to me :smile:
Onearmedbandit
I had a rollercoaster experience!! I voted for the first option even though I didn't get into my first choice... let's face it UCL is practically as good as Oxford for law :biggrin:

I know you don't care but here's how it went for me:

05/11/04 - Southampton offer. My last choice but lovely to get off to a good start :smile:

03/12/04 - Manchester rejection. Real punch in the face just before oxford interviews! :frown: My biggest hope of getting into a top law school gone so soon!

14/01/05 - Oxford rejection. Well I expected this one really, although having been asked to stay behind for an extra interview had given me some hope, but ultimately I just have to accept they found 9 people more suitable than me :smile: Pleased that I was given a good chance and I feel I did myself justice.

20/01/05 - Exeter offer. Perfect pick-me-up after the Oxford rejection! :biggrin: Very happy here as Exeter was one I really wanted to go to (no offence to So'ton, I just liked Exeter a lot more).

waiting
long wait... other people getting lots of offers
getting worried
finally!
07/03/05 - UCL offer. Shocked and delighted! I still keep checking UCAS to make sure it's still there :p: :redface: Couldn't believe it at all!! So happy! Dancing and singing all night long. No sleep. Fell asleep at work the next day.

08/03/05 - Bristol rejection. Wow! The experience came to an end so suddenly! My first reaction was: thank **** for UCL! And thank God I got UCL first! :eek: Ultimately my Bristol rejection felt like a prod in the arm with a cotton bud :smile:

So.. I'm sorry for going into so much detail but I know I'm gonna look back on this fondly. I hope those of you still waiting end up similarly to me :smile:

Mines a little like that, but one long trip up, and a plummeting down to earth again.

Sheffield offer (really quick as well) :smile:

Kings offer (that was fairly pleasing, good to know that I had an insurance) :biggrin:

Exeter offer. Not much use really when I had Kings. Wished that I had of used the application on Durham - what a waste to have 2 insurances. Uneccessary cautiousness. :redface:

Cambridge rejection (really depressing at the time) :frown: :frown:

two weeks later ...

UCL rejection (like a hammer blow to the heart, was really painful to me). Was not what I wanted, just as I was beginning to get over my Cambridge rejection. :mad: :mad: :mad:

and now, 2 months later ...

Still waiting for LSE. To be honest, I am completely fed up with UCAS. Its been such a distraction to me, and caused so much unecessary heartache.

I just wish that I could be let out of my misery now. :frown:
Onearmedbandit

The guardian league table is severely flawed. The only major difference between LSE and KCL in that table is teaching score, which KCL beats LSE 77-76 (not exactly much).

Also, the difference in ranking is KCL 4, LSE 5. Not really any significant difference.

Difference in job prospects (KCL 8, LSE 5) is only due to the international students returning home and therefore not gaining UK jobs.

Also, the times table (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,13425,00.html) has LSE 7th and KCL 14th, a significant difference.

But the overall reputation of LSE is definitely higher than KCL.
mobb_theprequel
Agreed: it is hard to stand out from the crowd. More so than, perhaps, for any other course.

Medicine?
NDGAARONDI
Medicine?

Medicine is probably about the same...

By the way Aaron, congratulations to Chelsea last night! For once I was completely rooting for you! :biggrin: And I got UCL in the end so looks like we'll be at the same university next year!

I'm going to new york tomorrow very early, as you can see in my sig :smile: So I thought I'd say bye! :biggrin:
Reply 17
I still to this day think I have to thank my refereeing qualification for helping me to stand out in the crowd getting into a competitive law school, hehe. :biggrin:

I don't even think it stops when you get in. Gets worse if anything.

PS - SO jealous you are going to NY tomorrow !!! My most favourite place in the world.
Onearmedbandit
Medicine is probably about the same...

In some ways application for law is more of a nightmare than medicine.

Onearmedbandit
By the way Aaron, congratulations to Chelsea last night!

Thanks. Shame I had not had a Portuguese drink with me :biggrin:

Onearmedbandit
For once I was completely rooting for you! :biggrin:

:rolleyes:

Onearmedbandit
And I got UCL in the end so looks like we'll be at the same university next year!

I hope so. You get unconditionals, whereas I get conditionals.

Onearmedbandit
I'm going to new york tomorrow very early, as you can see in my sig :smile: So I thought I'd say bye! :biggrin:

Enjoy your time there. I prefer Florida. :cool:
Reply 19
NDGAARONDI
In some ways application for law is more of a nightmare than medicine.

as a medic.. give me details to make me feel thankful for the relative ease of our application..? :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending