The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

yesioo
Oh yeah but that's en route to the city centre? :wink: I forgot all about that though.

OK, I'll let you off!!

This is an exceptionally nerdy thing to say, but my favourite roundabout is the pub, which of course use to sit beside a roundabout in the centre before the area was redesigned. So the bombed out church and the roundabout that no longer exists makes Plymouth one silly place :tongue:

I didn't realise that Waterstone etc were the only things left standing after the air raids,but it does make sense given how concrete-based the centre is (although it has improved lately).

Exeter was also bombed lots. Fortunately, the cathedral was restored and not turned in to a roundabout!
Reply 81
Yeeey! Can you even go into the bombed out church roundabout? I think you'd die if you tried. Go GCSE History! The history teacher took us on a 4 hour tour of Plymouth in the rain, you couldn't really do anything but listen.

If you go into St Andrews you can see where they've filled in holes made by shrapnel :wink:. Same with Exeter cathedral I believe. :biggrin:
Anyone know Bournemouth as well?
naivesincerity
Anyone know Bournemouth as well?

I live there, what would you like to know?

I've also lived half an hour south from Exeter (Exmouth), which is absolutely beeeeautiful.
Hispanic-Impressions
I live there, what would you like to know?

I've also lived half an hour south from Exeter (Exmouth), which is absolutely beeeeautiful.

What its like for variety of pubs, sports facilities, parks, cafes, space to walk around in and get peace(ie like Cambridge which isn't too hemmed in), restaraunts etc(mainly chain or some individual places?) Crime and chavs, variety of people, cosmopolitan or not etc? Thanks
naivesincerity
What its like for variety of pubs, sports facilities, parks, cafes, space to walk around in and get peace(ie like Cambridge which isn't too hemmed in), restaraunts etc(mainly chain or some individual places?) Crime and chavs, variety of people, cosmopolitan or not etc? Thanks

Spoiler

Hispanic-Impressions

Spoiler

Thanks that's great. Culture well so long as I got a library and pubs/cafes not that bothered. The mix of folk sounds quite interesting, wonder why it's that way?
Forest and beaches sound great but I should imagine they're usually jam packed?
Oh, and your profile pic. :wink: I like.
naivesincerity
Thanks that's great. Culture well so long as I got a library and pubs/cafes not that bothered. The mix of folk sounds quite interesting, wonder why it's that way?
Forest and beaches sound great but I should imagine they're usually jam packed?

There's a large library :wink:. (Well, there's quite a few, but a big one in the town centre.)

The people mix is interesting, but it does depends on the area you live in, some places are definitely either retired/chavtastic/loaded, whereas others are more varied.

Beach is only packed on a very hot summer's day, but because it's so long and wide it's never so full that you're squished together like sardines.
If you go there on a normal day, especially week day, it's likely to be practically deserted.
There's also the New Forest very close by, which is stunning and there's a lot of walking space. And not to forget the isle of purbeck - yum.

Oh and haha, thanks.
Hispanic-Impressions
There's a large library :wink:. (Well, there's quite a few, but a big one in the town centre.)

The people mix is interesting, but it does depends on the area you live in, some places are definitely either retired/chavtastic/loaded, whereas others are more varied.

Beach is only packed on a very hot summer's day, but because it's so long and wide it's never so full that you're squished together like sardines.
If you go there on a normal day, especially week day, it's likely to be practically deserted.
There's also the New Forest very close by, which is stunning and there's a lot of walking space. And not to forget the isle of purbeck - yum.

Oh and haha, thanks.

Poole I hear is loaded, I think tbh some quite unpleasant folk live there, well maybe just the ones I came across.
I love the idea of being able to run up an empty beach. Are there many students there?
naivesincerity
Poole I hear is loaded, I think tbh some quite unpleasant folk live there, well maybe just the ones I came across.
I love the idea of being able to run up an empty beach. Are there many students there?

Yeah it is, Sandbanks especially, third most expensive place in the world or something. And Poole itself is pretty damn ugly, although the bits towards Bournemouth (Branksome, Parkstone) are quite nice & so is the harbour with all its little islands.

I guess there's around 20,000 students from what i've heard, but rarely can they be found on the beaches :wink:. The main uni campus is out of town so I'm not really sure where they live after first year.
Hispanic-Impressions
Yeah it is, Sandbanks especially, third most expensive place in the world or something. And Poole itself is pretty damn ugly, although the bits towards Bournemouth (Branksome, Parkstone) are quite nice & so is the harbour with all its little islands.

I guess there's around 20,000 students from what i've heard, but rarely can they be found on the beaches :wink:. The main uni campus is out of town so I'm not really sure where they live after first year.

Thanks for expending your energies. Maybe you can show me around. Bournemouth that is....
Hispanic-Impressions

I reckon it must be a bit more relaxed than Brighton right? How does it compare with Exeter?

Latest

Trending

Trending