The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

MissHero
But by saying that they should have an equal say in abortion, you ARE saying that. If that say was equal ie enforcable by law, the only way that it could be really equal would be if both the mother and father agreed before an abortion was permitted. Therefore, if the man didn't give his consent then a termination would not be allowed, and the woman would be forced to go through with the pregnancy due to a lack of alternatives.

I certainly don't believe that a woman should be forced to carry a baby she doesn't want for 9 months especially considering the psychological impacts on her but I think it's wrong that the man isn't allowed to play a part at all.

In the sense that few women have abortions without even informing the father or letting him know she was pregnant in the first case. That's what I disagree with.
Reply 61
Absinth
I'd rather abort it, to be honest.

so youre now saying its a matter of convenience?
Reply 62
sleekchic
I certainly don't believe that a woman should be forced to carry a baby she doesn't want for 9 months especially considering the psychological impacts on her but I think it's wrong that the man isn't allowed to play a part at all.

In the sense that few women have abortions without even informing the father or letting him know she was pregnant in the first case. That's what I disagree with.

But unfortunately there is no way you can prevent this. Also, there may well be a good reason why she has not told the father.
You cannot just be for or against the concept of abortion (which many of you are) but you also need to realistically think about the physical and mental well-being of the child if the mother is unwilling to carry the child, but is forced to anyway.
Reply 64
moneyfaery
You cannot just be for or against the concept of abortion (which many of you are) but you also need to realistically think about the physical and mental well-being of the child if the mother is unwilling to carry the child, but is forced to anyway.

Yep, everything is context bound.
Reply 65
aliphatic
Yep, everything is context bound.

Sorry, a baby is affected by it's mother's mood?
Reply 66
ten bob
Sorry, a baby is affected by it's mother's mood?

Yes, ultimately. I believe I asked you a few questions earlier that you never responded to, so never mind.
Reply 67
aliphatic
Yes, ultimately. I believe I asked you a few questions earlier that you never responded to, so never mind.

Care to repeat?
Reply 68
ten bob
Care to repeat?

Yeah, I said -
"If you expect the woman to have the baby despite her not initially wanting it, are you hoping for some sort of 'motherly bond' to be established when she finally gives birth, or would you expect the man who wanted it in the first place to take sole responsibility for raising the child? I can't see a child having a very good life if their mother doesn't want them..."
Reply 69
aliphatic
Yeah, I said -
"If you expect the woman to have the baby despite her not initially wanting it, are you hoping for some sort of 'motherly bond' to be established when she finally gives birth, or would you expect the man who wanted it in the first place to take sole responsibility for raising the child? I can't see a child having a very good life if their mother doesn't want them..."

Many father's don't want children, does that mean that they don't have a good life?
Reply 70
aliphatic
"I can't see a child having a very good life if their mother doesn't want them..."

they wouldnt really need to know, would they

its just like adopted children who are given up because the parents dont want them
Reply 71
tom//
they wouldnt really need to know, would they

its just like adopted children who are given up because the parents dont want them

Why wouldn't they have to know? I'm pretty sure their mothers blatant dislike for them would show through soon enough. Besides, even adopted children can want to go knocking on their natural parents' doors the minute they hit 18.
Reply 72
ten bob
Many father's don't want children, does that mean that they don't have a good life?

Wow, way to avoid a question.
Reply 73
aliphatic
Why wouldn't they have to know? I'm pretty sure their mothers blatant dislike for them would show through soon enough. Besides, even adopted children can want to go knocking on their natural parents' doors the minute they hit 18.

if a childs sole carer is their father why would the mother be involved?
Reply 74
tom//
if a childs sole carer is their father why would the mother be involved?

Because many at one point turn around and demand to know who their mother is. Besides, I can't see many men agreeing to being the 'sole carer' in the first place, which is just annoying. No doubt women would be subject to paying toward the child as well (and that part of the argument is fair enough really, for as long as men continue having to pay towards children). It would make it quite hard to cut out the mother *completely*. More and more these days you see 'I want to find my dad!' appeals on crappy daytime TV. Why wouldn't it be the case for mothers?
Reply 75
aliphatic
Because many at one point turn around and demand to know who their mother is. Besides, I can't see many men agreeing to being the 'sole carer' in the first place, which is just annoying. No doubt women would be subject to paying toward the child as well (and that part of the argument is fair enough really, for as long as men continue having to pay towards children). It would make it quite hard to cut out the mother *completely*. More and more these days you see 'I want to find my dad!' appeals on crappy daytime TV. Why wouldn't it be the case for mothers?

if it was me id happily become the sole carer, i dont know about others though.

but would it not be fair to say that a child in the world with a loving father would be better than that child not having the chance to be around? whether or not they find out their mothers feelings
Reply 76
ten bob
Each year, thousands of women in the UK make the choice to terminate a pregnancy. Their reasons range from selfishness (not ready, career-focused, one night stand) to closure (victim of rape).

However, the father hardly ever gets a say in what happens to an unwanted pregnancy. It's all about the woman.

Cue the TSR-gettes arguing that it's a woman's body, and she has the right to decide whether she wants to carry another life for 9 months. But a father's right to be a parent is never considered. And to be honest, a woman's desire for lethargy should not trump the baby's right to life.

It's abhorrent that any woman would want to kill their own children, so I think it be fair that women be required to seek the consent of the father (if they could be traced) before any termination went ahead.

Of course women could (and certainly would) decieve the system and go ahead with killing their children without the genuine consent of the father. Should punitive steps be implemented to combat this? Fines? Imprisonment?

I am anti-abortion, but the motivation for this thread is more Fathers 4 Justice than right to life.

Thoughts?

I believe it the father has rights- it is his child as much as it is the mothers, the problem is that the woman is the one who has to carry the child. Besides, abortion is considered by some to be murder.
To give you an idea of the problem a woman faces- consider this parable.

You wake up in the morning and find yourself back to back in bed with an unconscious violinist. A famous unconscious violinist. He has been found to have a fatal kidney ailment, and the Society of Music Lovers has canvassed all the available medical records and found that you alone have the right blood type to help. They have therefore kidnapped you, and last night the violinist's circulatory system was plugged into yours, so that your kidneys can be used to extract poisons from his blood as well as your own. [If he is unplugged from you now, he will die; but] in nine months he will have recovered from his ailment, and can safely be unplugged from you.

Obviously you can see there are two sides to the issue. I personally have know idea how to resolve the problem.
Reply 77
tom//
if it was me id happily become the sole carer, i dont know about others though.

but would it not be fair to say that a child in the world with a loving father would be better than that child not having the chance to be around? whether or not they find out their mothers feelings

Their happiness is something you could never predict I'm afraid :frown: I grew up without my mum for a many number of years, and was very happy with just my father though - yes!
Callum828
Baby P was murdered by his mother.

Are you suggesting he should have been killed beforehand to avoid the abuse?

What's the line from Flight of the Conchords 'There are no more elephants, there is no more unethical treatment of elephants, the world is a much better place'

Why not just euthanise the poor while you're at it?

Not at all what I meant at all. Why don't you go back and read my post again.
You do not have the right to anything at the material expense of others.

Latest

Trending

Trending