The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I intially applied to do Business Management but I have declined my offers and now I'm awaiting to enter Extra.

I have looked into a course that i'd prefer to Business yet it's really not in the same category (Sports Science), the University I apply to in Extra will be able to see my original Personal Statement and they will find it doesn't relate to the course I intend to now study. I meet the entry requirements for the course also.

Will this affect my chances of the University accepting me?
Reply 41
Massively unless you amend your statement to show your enthusiasm for Sports Science. Good luck with Extra :smile:
Reply 42
Not really sure where this should go but thought I'd pop it in here.

OK basically I originally applied for Maths and Philosophy at St Andrews (Rejected), Bristol (Rejected), York (ABB Offer), Exeter (no news), and Durham (Combined Honours in arts-no news). Predicted AAA by the way.
I've decided I want to do straight maths which apparently it is easy to change to at York and Exeter (big no no for Durham though). Before I applied I had only visited St Andrews and Bristol (both of which I loved) and none of the others and now having visited York and Exeter I really didn't like them and neither felt like somewhere that could be home.
I was talking to a teacher about it a few weeks ago and they suggested extra. If I were to go into extra I would look at unis such as Southampton, Nottingham, Kings, Manchester and Cardiff if any of them are there.
Firstly, am I being stupid throwing away a place at York and possibly a place at Exeter?
And secondly, How competitive is Extra? I know it won't guarantee me getting in anywhere but are there fifty people applying for one place or just a few? Anyone had any success with Extra in the past?

Sorry for the rambling
Reply 43
Ameen
I intially applied to do Business Management but I have declined my offers and now I'm awaiting to enter Extra.

I have looked into a course that i'd prefer to Business yet it's really not in the same category (Sports Science), the University I apply to in Extra will be able to see my original Personal Statement and they will find it doesn't relate to the course I intend to now study. I meet the entry requirements for the course also.

Will this affect my chances of the University accepting me?
You should ask the unis concerned if they will accept a new PS from you direct - you can't submit it through UCAS as you've realised, but changing course choice completely isn't that unusual, so as long as the new PS is strong your chances should be reasonable, given that you meet the basic entry requirements.
Reply 44
blueskidoo

OK basically I originally applied for Maths and Philosophy at St Andrews (Rejected), Bristol (Rejected), York (ABB Offer), Exeter (no news), and Durham (Combined Honours in arts-no news). Predicted AAA by the way.
I've decided I want to do straight maths which apparently it is easy to change to at York and Exeter (big no no for Durham though). Before I applied I had only visited St Andrews and Bristol (both of which I loved) and none of the others and now having visited York and Exeter I really didn't like them and neither felt like somewhere that could be home.
I was talking to a teacher about it a few weeks ago and they suggested extra. If I were to go into extra I would look at unis such as Southampton, Nottingham, Kings, Manchester and Cardiff if any of them are there.
Firstly, am I being stupid throwing away a place at York and possibly a place at Exeter?
And secondly, How competitive is Extra? I know it won't guarantee me getting in anywhere but are there fifty people applying for one place or just a few? Anyone had any success with Extra in the past?

Sorry for the rambling
There's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get a place on a good Maths course through Extra. If you check out the first post in this thread you will find a link to last year's listings so you will get some idea of the range available.

If you really don't like the feel of either York or Exeter then you aren't being stupid in withdrawing or declining their offer/s. However, before burning those boats you need to really check out the places you might apply to through Extra otherwise you could end up going round the same loop again!
Reply 45
blueskidoo

Sorry for the rambling

Well if you absolutely sure you disliked York and Exeter from your visits, then no, it is definately not stupid to decline offers from them. Inevitably loads of people would have had success with Extra in the past (that's why it's there :tongue: ) , but as you know, some unis including those you've mentioned may be competitive and filled up all their places. If they haven't, then it could turn out to be a brilliant decision :smile:

So if you desperately don't want to go to York, then maybe you should try Extra.
Reply 46
Is there any point in reapplying to a uni through Extra when it has already declined me through the normal applying process? Or is it a complete waste of time? :frown:

Have you heard of anyone who has been declined and then admitted through extra?

please, someone give me some hope :yep: :eek3: :woo: :eek3: :woo: :eek3:
for the same course? or a different one?
If it's for the same course, it's a waste of time; they rejected you the first time, why would they accept you a second time? Places are in Extra because they didn't have enough qualified candidates to fill a space, and if they rejected you yet still have places in Extra, you're not a qualified candidate in their eyes. Either accept a different offer or take a gap year and reapply. Or there's always clearing.
if its a different department, i think there will be hope as some dont talk to eachother. My bf got into the same uni for two different courses. if its the same course, i dont think theres much point.
which uni?
It's unlikely. You hear about quite a lot of people being accepted for two courses at the same uni, but rarely of people being rejected for one and accepted for another.

If it's the same course, obviously you won't get in through Extra. And for a different course, it's still unlikely, since presumably they'll be fairly similar courses.
Reply 52
yeah - it's for the same course. I guess ill drop it
Reply 53
Hey can you go into track by rejecting an offer you have?

If so, Is it possible to change the application to the extent of say economics to biology?
Reply 54
i just got hold of my academic ref- can I add it to my application before I start using extra? Or do i have to send it to the uni separately?
Reply 55
poossum
Hey can you go into track by rejecting an offer you have?

If so, Is it possible to change the application to the extent of say economics to biology?
Why not read the first post in this thread? You might find it contains the answers to both your questions - particularly if by 'track' you mean 'Extra'.

dubdub
i just got hold of my academic ref- can I add it to my application before I start using extra? Or do i have to send it to the uni separately?
If you mean that your referee has updated your reference, it will have to go straight to the uni - from your referee, not from you, I would expect. You can't add anything to your UCAS application at this stage.
I was told by a few of the Uni's that turned me down that my grades and subject choices were fine however it was my Personal Statement which let me down.

I am hoping to apply for the same course (International Relations) and am wondering what do I do about an additional PS?

Do I just start e-mailing on Thursday and ask whether they require an additional PS or do I start afresh and send it when I e-mail places on Thursday?
Reply 57
Minerva

If you mean that your referee has updated your reference, it will have to go straight to the uni - from your referee, not from you, I would expect. You can't add anything to your UCAS application at this stage.

I'm a scandinavian student and don't really have a referee, I just got my High school teacher to write one (I left highschool 3 years ago) on official paper. Can't I just scanne it and send it separately?
Reply 58
Can you see the list of courses still available for 2009? Or is it only past 26th Feb?
Reply 59
dubdub
I'm a scandinavian student and don't really have a referee, I just got my High school teacher to write one (I left highschool 3 years ago) on official paper. Can't I just scanne it and send it separately?
Sorry, I'm a bit puzzled here. I understood you to say that you had already applied - in which case you must have had a reference to cut and paste into the UCAS application, otherwise it wouldn't have gone through.

Latest

Trending

Trending