The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

However, to answer the question, there is no direct link between class and getting on with other races. Some Working Class people, and I'm not just talking about Whites, I'm talking about Blacks, Indians, just about any race, only get on with own race and avoid others (often it is the minorities doing this), while some Working Class people happily and readily mix with other races.

This is also the same for any class, but it's rediculous to say that newspaper read influenced this when none of the mainstream papers in the UK are racist at all, it's just pathetic liberal propaganda that spreads such lies. They are blinded by their own ignorance.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=801460

Take that thread for example, the original article is from the Daily Mail and makes absolutely no reference to the kids race, only the poster felt the need to refer to him clearly as Pakistani. And then other Pakistais were going "I'm so proud/glad he's Pakistani". If the guy had been White British, the poster wouldn't have made reference to that and if anyone had said "I'm so glad he's White British", they'd have got slaughtered by the PC mob.

That really shows double standards.
weflycars
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm sorry you're now the biggest idiot on here..

Because I dare to look past stereotypes?
Reply 22
If you're going to try to look at the class structure in Britain, you should realise that in this modern day and age it looks something like this;

15% very wealthy 'upper class'
60% 'middle' class
5% 'working' class
20% 'benefit' class

The benefit class is not the same as a working class. Of course this is just stupid to make all these assumptions, but then you asked a question riddled with assumptions :p:

even then, what is working class in modern Britain? somebody who is poor? :confused:
Reply 23
erm, Somehow i don't think so. Working class are just as ignorant because they aren't taught anything.
Middle and upper class are ignorant (and arrogant) because they think they know everything.
Not everyone is the same.
Well im from a working class background and im really not ashamed of it either no matter how much people want working class people to be :smile:

&
1) I am very interested in politics (doing it for one of my A levels) as is my family. And no im not influenced by The Sun newspaper sorry to dissapoint.
2) Where im from there's alot of different races and I and my family certainly dont care what background someone is from. That includes what class they are. I judge a person on what they are personally like, not their colour or wealth. :smile:
I like how implicit in the thread title is that the British working class is in fact made up of one race.
Reply 26
cruciform
Explain why?

It is impossible to generalize about this.
The working classes are often at a disadvantage when it comes to education, and therefore prejudice isn't unheard of. To be honest you don't really find many prejudiced people out of any class in great numbers.
Reply 27
MichaelG
If you're going to try to look at the class structure in Britain, you should realise that in this modern day and age it looks something like this;

60% 'middle' class
5% 'working' class
20% 'benefit' class

The benefit class is not the same as a working class. Of course this is just stupid to make all these assumptions, but then you asked a question riddled with assumptions :p:

even then, what is working class in modern Britain? somebody who is poor? :confused:

where did you get those statistics from?????
Reply 28
burninginme
However, to answer the question, there is no direct link between class and getting on with other races. Some Working Class people, and I'm not just talking about Whites, I'm talking about Blacks, Indians, just about any race, only get on with own race and avoid others (often it is the minorities doing this), while some Working Class people happily and readily mix with other races.

This is also the same for any class, but it's rediculous to say that newspaper read influenced this when none of the mainstream papers in the UK are racist at all, it's just pathetic liberal propaganda that spreads such lies. They are blinded by their own ignorance.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=801460

Take that thread for example, the original article is from the Daily Mail and makes absolutely no reference to the kids race, only the poster felt the need to refer to him clearly as Pakistani. And then other Pakistais were going "I'm so proud/glad he's Pakistani". If the guy had been White British, the poster wouldn't have made reference to that and if anyone had said "I'm so glad he's White British", they'd have got slaughtered by the PC mob.

That really shows double standards.

Yay, a sensible post amongst lots of stereotype-driven rubbish....
Reply 29
where did you get those statistics from?????

life experience :smile:
Pavlik
British people are of British descent - the British race. Yes.

Oh, DO give it a rest.
Reply 31
burninginme
Because I dare to look past stereotypes?

No because you try to defend the undefendable, the Daily Mail, the grandest ****-rag of them all.. they're the reason we see Russell Brand prank calls on the front page.. they backed the nazi's if that's not enough proof of their political leanings.. every day another story about immigrants, promoting racial segregation - the greatest ****-rag in print:yep:
Reply 32
what? they get on worse if anything
I would've have thought it makes a difference, tbh - but maybe I am naive. I tend to see the good in people. I think it just depends on the circumstances and personality of the person.
Reply 34
I don't think the middle class exists. After that realisation, a lot of the middle class turn out to actually be working class.

But even if they did exist, both groups vary wildly from incredibly liberal and open minded, to on the verge of neo-nazi.

However, I think the working class get on a lot better with other races than the upper classes - unless individuals from the races in question have lots of money and business deals to do with the British capitalist class
Reply 35
Why do people say the middle class doesn't exist all the time, the class system isn't even blurry imo it's pretty clear cut.
Title e.g. Lord, Lady, Duke etc. is upper class (or you can become upper class by having a very high salary)
Middle class is anyone with a profession e.g. Doctor, Barrister
Working class is anyone with a blue collar job.

If anything the working class get on worse as in general they're less educated and develop prejudices more easily.
MichaelG

60% 'middle' class
5% 'working' class
20% 'benefit' class

sauce :drool:
Reply 37
Probably. Ethnic minorities born in this country worry about cheap foreign labour as much as whites. As long they're integrated, there aren't any problems.

It's the middle/upper classes more likely to racist (rather than xenophobic) than the working class.
Stereotypically, the working class is more racist.
Reply 39
Why do people say the middle class doesn't exist all the time, the class system isn't even blurry imo it's pretty clear cut.
Title e.g. Lord, Lady, Duke etc. is upper class (or you can become upper class by having a very high salary)
Middle class is anyone with a profession e.g. Doctor, Barrister
Working class is anyone with a blue collar job.

If anything the working class get on worse as in general they're less educated and develop prejudices more easily.
Class isn’t just about money, David Beckham is extremely wealthy but I would not call him upper-class.

Latest

Trending

Trending