The Student Room Group

Avon makeup - any good?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Stace-is-Ace
No problem :smile: I regularly lust over it! Lol! Let me know if you get some and what it's like :smile:

I'm going to London in February so I think I will go to one of their stores and try some of the tester makeup out, and then I'll report back! :biggrin:
Check out animal aid/beauty without cruelty. All i will say is steer clear of the foundation unless you're not stupidly pale like me. I can't vouch for every product, but the loose powder and mascaras are nice and quite cheap. http://www.animalaidshop.org.uk/cosmetics.htm

If you don't mind mineral foundation lily lolo don't test on animals. Also Barry M cosmetics don't.
Reply 22
Stace-is-Ace
The OP wants things not tested on animals so I guess she's kinda restricted.

OP: ever tried this site: https://www.bnevertoobusytobebeautiful.com/

(very pricey though)

woops silly me, :p:
b! makeup is absolutely gorgeous though, and the packaging is so cute!
it is a bit pricey but really nice, unique products as well
Reply 23
FizzBitch
I'm thinking of using Avon makeup because they don't test any of the products or ingredients on animals (or ask any other companies to test on animals on their behalf), but before I invest I want to know if avon makeup is any good?

I'm mainly thinking of foundation, powder and mascara here.

So to any of you who have tried these products, how good do you find them? Do they apply well? Do they look natural (as opposed to most high street brands which looked caked on)?

I used to be an Avon rep, so I know plenty about the products. However, this doesn't mean I'm biased - I wouldn't have continued to sell them if I personally didn't think they were any good. The only reason I stopped was because I moved abroad!
I've never tried their powder or foundation, but their tinted moisturisers and mascaras are excellent. Their kohl eyeliner is also one of the best I've ever used.
However, I found their 'face perfector' rubbish and their 'Clearskin' range to be cheap and nasty.

You should be using Avon because of the high quality products that they can provide, not because they don't test on animals - they aren't special in this given that testing cosmetics on animals has been illegal in the UK since 1996. (Just highlighted that so that everyone would see it - the number of people who have daft misconceptions about animal testing is mental :s-smilie: )

Avon's products don't look 'caked on' imo, but then again no high street brands should if you're selecting the right products for your skin type/tone. The worst foundation I've ever used was in fact by Clinique!

Char_Devon
The mousse foundation was TERRIBLE!

That's hardly specific to Avon - most mousse foundations are unless you have perfect skin (they generally highlight what you want to hide - blemishes, dry skin patches etc).

As for overpriced, you kids want overpriced? Benefit is overpriced - I would never in a million years pay full whack for any of their stuff.

For all my Avon reviews, for those interested, go here http://biancasbeautyblog.blogspot.com/search?q=avon
:smile:
Reply 24
Angelil

You should be using Avon because of the high quality products that they can provide, not because they don't test on animals - they aren't special in this given that testing cosmetics on animals has been illegal in the UK since 1996. (Just highlighted that so that everyone would see it - the number of people who have daft misconceptions about animal testing is mental :s-smilie: )

I am perfectly aware that testing cosmetics on animals is illegal in the UK, however many cosmetics available in the UK have been tested on animals in other countries. The majority of cosmetics sold in UK shops have been tested on animals (and if you didn't know that, it is you who has the daft misconceptions :wink:)
Meh I wasted my money on this cheap imitation crap and I came out in a bad rash.

My advice: find something elsewhere . . .
Reply 26
DancinBallerina
Meh I wasted my money on this cheap imitation crap and I came out in a bad rash.

Most of the feedback on here seems to be negative, so I am going to follow your advice *nods*
I don't think avon stuff is bad, but I do think it's overpriced and you can get better stuff for the same price. For instance, I got the mousse foundation which I thought was good at the time, but then I got that proper dream matte mousse and I thought that was better. I think it depends really :smile:
FizzBitch
Most of the feedback on here seems to be negative, so I am going to follow your advice *nods*

Yea its just heavily overpriced for what it is tbh as well.

I had the rash for a good week and it stung for ages as well. I put cucumbers on the areas to soothe it. :s-smilie:

So yea look elsewhere.
Reply 29
I would recommend:
No7 or No17 from Boots.
Clinique
M.A.C

Don't buy from The Body Shop, half the money goes to Loreal and they test on animals. :smile:

I think its great that you are becoming more responsible as a consumer!
Reply 30
Becksy
I would recommend:
No7 or No17 from Boots.

Don't buy from The Body Shop, half the money goes to Loreal and they test on animals. :smile:

I think its great that you are becoming more responsible as a consumer!

Thanks. :smile:

I already make sure most of my cosmetics/toiletries aren't tested on animals, however for my last birthday my mum bought me BeneFit makeup (which has ingredients tested on animals) which lasts ages, but I'm running out and it's my birthday again in a few months so I want to switch to something that isn't tested on animals by then. :smile:
Reply 31
FizzBitch
I am perfectly aware that testing cosmetics on animals is illegal in the UK, however many cosmetics available in the UK have been tested on animals in other countries. The majority of cosmetics sold in UK shops have been tested on animals (and if you didn't know that, it is you who has the daft misconceptions :wink:)

Don't worry, I did know that. I make a point of knowing the background of what I consume, whether it's clothing, food, makeup or medicine, and making decisions accordingly.

DancinBallerina

Not that other people's skin could possibly be different to yours or anything :rolleyes:

foundintransmission

I don't think avon stuff is bad, but I do think it's overpriced and you can get better stuff for the same price. For instance, I got the mousse foundation which I thought was good at the time, but then I got that proper dream matte mousse and I thought that was better. I think it depends really

But Maybelline and Avon are practically equally priced...
Angelil
But Maybelline and Avon are practically equally priced...

Yeah but the foundation isn't, and plus, the Maybelline one was better, so the avon one was overpriced in that case. :biggrin:
I actually have to butt in here and say that I used both Dream Matte Mousse from Maybelline and Avon's equivelant and found the Avon one worked better for me. And lasted longer too.
Angelil
Not that other people's skin could possibly be different to yours or anything :rolleyes:.

But its a good warning that it could also happen to someone else . . . .:rolleyes:

Avon make up - cheap crap!

PS: Has also happened to quite a few of my friends as well . .
Reply 35
Well it didn't happen to me, or my mum, or anyone else who bought Avon from me...so your 'warning' is as good as useless, frankly, since just as many people (if not more, otherwise Avon would be out of business) have been fine with it...
Reply 36
I recommend urban decay. they don't test on animals, I think some (or all) of their products are vegan and its good stuff.
I've used some Avon products and I find they feel cheap and the staying power of some items is poor.
IMO Avon is a company banking on relatives of representatives feeling like they have to buy the products to help them out rather than selling products on their merit.
Reply 37
Their pencil eyeliners, stick concealers and lipsticks/glosses are pretty decent. Their eyeshadows and blushers don't blend in too well, liquid eyeliners aren't very good and as another poster said their mascaras are hit or miss. I've also found that sometimes the colours look different in real life than they do in the catalogue. I got a fake tan from there a few years ago and it turned out bright orange even though I got the one for fair skin.
After buying several products from Avon I discovered that I only liked a few. infact i even complained about them at their customer service also, I like their mini mascara it's very natural and easy to apply because of the size. I also bought their liquid eye liner stays on really nice. Also their pencil eye liner. I tried some of their perfumes and had fun wearing them but would not buy them again. I just wanted to try some of their popular scents like Imari. I didn't like their eye shadows or lilpsticks and would not try their foundations or powder make up. I like their prices they are low cost and like their free shipping. It depends on what you want from it! I used to buy make up from it, but i found that it would wear off after an hour or two. If it is quality make up you're after, start making your way down to Boots or Superdrug! I find Rimmel make up and Maybelline are the best products to use for your skin but also because they last quite a long time! Apart from Avon's make up, nearly everything else is bang on! Hope this helps! =)

Quick Reply

Latest