The Student Room Group

Avon makeup - any good?

I'm thinking of using Avon makeup because they don't test any of the products or ingredients on animals (or ask any other companies to test on animals on their behalf), but before I invest I want to know if avon makeup is any good?

I'm mainly thinking of foundation, powder and mascara here.

So to any of you who have tried these products, how good do you find them? Do they apply well? Do they look natural (as opposed to most high street brands which looked caked on)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
FizzBitch
I'm thinking of using Avon makeup because they don't test any of the products or ingredients on animals (or ask any other companies to test on animals on their behalf), but before I invest I want to know if avon makeup is any good?

I'm mainly thinking of foundation, powder and mascara here.

So to any of you who have tried these products, how good do you find them? Do they apply well? Do they look natural (as opposed to most high street brands which looked caked on)?

Their mascara is rubbish IMO.
I'm not too sure about the other things, I think we ordered some 'bronzing pearls', it wasn't too good.

I suppose the mascara looks natural - because it doesn't even look like you put anything on :s-smilie:
Reply 2
so.simple
Their mascara is rubbish IMO.
I'm not too sure about the other things, I think we ordered some 'bronzing pearls', it wasn't too good.

I suppose the mascara looks natural - because it doesn't even look like you put anything on :s-smilie:

Lol oh dear! Maybe I will try to find another brand of non animal tested mascara.

Does anyone know what the foundation is like?
I used to be an Avon rep actually...

I regularly still use their liquid liner (I don't think they make it anymore though!) and their 'bronzer' which is much more like a blusher tbh. I also use one of their mascaras...it's got two ends with different sized brushes.

Products I found disappointing were eyeliner pens, mousse foundation, mascaras (theyre hit or moss), eyeshadows and skincare products.
Overpriced garbage imo.
I was an Avon rep for a while too. Some of the products are good, but I tend to find the powders and eyeshadows really bad quality, like something you'd get free with a magazine.
Nail varnishes are good, and so are some of the more expensive mascaras.
Liquid eyelines from Avon are also very good, but its all about picking wisely and the best deals to get your moneys worth to be honest.
Totally not worth it. The Body Shop wins every time.
Reply 7
ilovereggieyates(=

I agree.
Their bronzing pearls are very nice, even though I don't use it :p:
Reply 8
ilovereggieyates(=

I think The Body Shop is owned by Loreal who tests on animals...
Reply 9
Come to think of it, Avon mights be owned by another company who tests on animals...hmmm gonna have a nosey on Google.
yeahhh mascara is pretty bad...i bought some, the first time i wore it i was asked why I wasn't wearing any makeup

I always use ultra black paris bourjous now... altho... im not sure if it tests on animals or not? :s-smilie:
Reply 11
used to be an avon rep dunno about quality of products really but my mum seems to like it n sis thinks its rubbish
the problem with avon is that ur not guaranteed to get ur products and have to wait a while for them neway
id go for somethin shop bought
gud luk with findin stuff :smile:
Reply 12
The mousse foundation was TERRIBLE!
Reply 13
i agree with a fairr bit of whats been said, especially about the eyeshadows!

the main thing ive found with avon is that, unlike most other makeup brands, you cant have a nosey with the testers to see if the texture/colours seem nice

generally ive found the stuff quite average in makeup terms
some of the coloured eyeliners and brighter makeup items ive found very good because of their durability but as it all seems a bit pricey nowadays you might be best looking at some other brands, bodyshop, GOSH, maxfactor etc are all pretty good

or if you want to invest in something really good id recommend m.a.c for foundation and eyeshadows etc. because theyre not ridiculously expensive (compared to some anyway!) but are a really good quality and last for ages!

:smile:
Not with a barge pole I'm afraid :frown:
hzilla2
i agree with a fairr bit of whats been said, especially about the eyeshadows!

the main thing ive found with avon is that, unlike most other makeup brands, you cant have a nosey with the testers to see if the texture/colours seem nice

generally ive found the stuff quite average in makeup terms
some of the coloured eyeliners and brighter makeup items ive found very good because of their durability but as it all seems a bit pricey nowadays you might be best looking at some other brands, bodyshop, GOSH, maxfactor etc are all pretty good

or if you want to invest in something really good id recommend m.a.c for foundation and eyeshadows etc. because theyre not ridiculously expensive (compared to some anyway!) but are a really good quality and last for ages!

:smile:

The OP wants things not tested on animals so I guess she's kinda restricted.

OP: ever tried this site: https://www.bnevertoobusytobebeautiful.com/

(very pricey though)
FizzBitch
I think The Body Shop is owned by Loreal who tests on animals...

Yeahh, L'oreal tests on animals, but I'm pretty sure The Body Shop are still against animal testing on all their products. I do see how that is kind of a contradiction in itself though... :s-smilie:
Reply 17
Stace-is-Ace
The OP wants things not tested on animals so I guess she's kinda restricted.

OP: ever tried this site: https://www.bnevertoobusytobebeautiful.com/

(very pricey though)

Oooh thankyou for the link, that's just the type of stuff I'm looking for! :biggrin:
No problem :smile: I regularly lust over it! Lol! Let me know if you get some and what it's like :smile:
oh my bad i just read what the op actually wrote :P

Quick Reply

Latest