The Student Room Group

Investigating orders of reactions

Does anyone know a list of reactions that can be used to invesitgate the orders of reactions

Apart from the X experiment
The clock experiment
and the volume of gas produced

Is there anymore because we have a planning practical to do and our teacher says its not going to using any of these 3, can anyone think of anymore.
We used the hydrolysis of an ester. Example: CH3COOCH2CH3 + H2O ----> CH3COOH + CH3CH2OH
(Ethyl acetate + Water ----> Acetic acid + ethanol)

Get the reactants mixing in a vessel, take a 10mL sample from it every minute or so (and quench it), then perform a titration to find concentration of acetic acid.
We used the hydrolysis of an ester. Example: CH3COOCH2CH3 + H2O ----> CH3COOH + CH3CH2OH
(Ethyl acetate + Water ----> Acetic acid + ethanol)

Get the reactants mixing in a vessel, take a 10mL sample from it every minute or so (and quench it), then perform a titration to find concentration of acetic acid.
Reply 3
do you still have your notes on that practical perhaps send them to mer, because we are really unprepared, our teacher doesnt give us very many notes.
Tbh, I probably don't anymore I'm afraid. That was a few years ago!

Basically the procedure is just as I outlined, do it a couple of times with different initial concentrations, and the calculations are fairly straightforward. Tabulate your results and you should be able to work out orders.
Reply 5
if i send you a link can you tell me if this is excatly how you do it.

Latest