The Student Room Group

Applying for geography- are my choices too agressive??

I have applied this year for economics at 5 very good universities and am slightly worried I'm not in line to get any offers.

Im considering reapplying for Geography for 2010 entry.

I am predicted;

Geography (A)
Physics (A)
Maths (A)
General studies (A)

Further maths to AS level (A)
History to AS level - A achieved

I really don't want to make the same mistake again and apply to another 5 universities I wont get offers from. Do you think my choices are too unattainable again?? Would any of the below universities appear in extra?? Would I have a chance with an economics personal statement this year??

Cambridge/Oxford
Durham
UCL/LSE
Bristol
Royal Holloway/Nottingham/Exeter/Queen Mary

Thanks
Reply 1
Well those are excellent grades so with AAAaa predicted (not including critical thinking here for obvious reasons) and with strong references and PS then I'd say you have a strong chance at any of those.

Cambridge and Oxford are AAA, Durham don't have a set typical offer (but assume it's AAA-AAB), Bristol are AAB (I think) and then RH/QM can be a decent back up. I'd say it was an ambitous selection but still fairly sensible.

Royal Holloways, Queen Mary and may appear in extra. I don't think Exeter will.

But why not just wait until you know you haven't got any economics offers?
Reply 2
I hate waiting without I back up plan!! I've already had 3 rejections - of course I will wait to see if I get into the others though :smile:
Reply 3
They are all attainable for you, depending of course on other applicants that year and your personal statement and perhaps interview performance (Oxbridge).

Bristol had 15 applicants to every place this year though, just so you are aware.
For a lot of the top unis, offers are made based on the competitiveness of the Geography course for that year. As far as I'm aware, Durham offers have all been AAA this year while Bristol gave many AAA offers too.
Reply 5
It doesn't look like you are applying to aggressively. Although A-levels are only one part of the picture, strong GCSEs, and a good personal statement and reference will be vital for the likes of Bristol/Oxbridge.

Out of interest, what is it about LSE's course that appeals to you?
Reply 6
Royal Holloway/Queen Mary MIGHT be in Extra, I very much doubt any of the others would, they're very popular unis for geography.

If you were reapplying, I think you would have a good chance with your grades for those unis but you may have a problem with Oxbridge as they keep going on and on about passion for your subject, so if you were willing to do economics until very recently, that probably wouldn't go down particularly well. May be wrong though.
Reply 7
It's achievable, but I wouldn't recommend having all AAA universities. I would look at the courses for all those universities and see what they offer. LSE isn't exactly the broadest course out there for example.
Reply 8
well with those grades i'd think you have a chance. The only university there were i can definately say you'd probably get an offer is at Nottingham as i did with lower grades. Their offer is AAB for Geography. I'd say maybe substitute one or two of the choices with universities with lower grades so if you don't get offers from the like Cambridge/oxford or Durham and that then you'll have a backup
Reply 9
Kathryn91919
I have applied this year for economics at 5 very good universities and am slightly worried I'm not in line to get any offers.

Im considering reapplying for Geography for 2010 entry.

I am predicted;

Geography (A)
Physics (A)
Maths (A)
General studies (A)

Further maths to AS level (A)
History to AS level - A achieved

I really don't want to make the same mistake again and apply to another 5 universities I wont get offers from. Do you think my choices are too unattainable again?? Would any of the below universities appear in extra?? Would I have a chance with an economics personal statement this year??

Cambridge/Oxford
Durham
UCL/LSE
Bristol
Royal Holloway/Nottingham/Exeter/Queen Mary

Thanks

I applied to Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, UCL and Durham, and it was perfectly fine.

I think it also depends how well you do/did at A/AS-level - if you get/got particularly high A's, make sure that they're mentioned on your reference and you should be ok. Bear in mind that you should have a significant advantage over other applicants in applying to non-AAA unis if you will already have AAA.

Latest

Trending

Trending