The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

man thats so crazy. whats wrong about the 8 words "do you want me to pray for you?"...whats so offensive o threatening about that? why is it offensive that someone might want God to heal them! unless they find God offensive so then they would find help from Him offensive?
Reply 121
*Stargirl*
man thats so crazy. whats wrong about the 8 words "do you want me to pray for you?"...whats so offensive o threatening about that? why is it offensive that someone might want God to heal them! unless they find God offensive so then they would find help from Him offensive?

Because respecting equality and diversity cuts both ways. You respect patients who have faith and you can direct them to related services, but you must also respect those who are atheist, don't know what they believe in, or completly don't care. You can't just have respect for Christians.
oh sure, but the nurse didnt know did she..so she was just asking.
*Stargirl*

She'd in the past been warned for making prayer cards.
Meteorshower
She'd in the past been warned for making prayer cards.

If you read the article, she'd made prayer cards for a patient who'd happily wanted them, not simply given every patient prayer cards. Therefore she was still only offering her services. There's nothing weird about an elderly woman who'se religious so I don't think she meant any harm whatsoever. It's hardly disrespectful is it.
Cezmerelda
If you read the article, she'd made prayer cards for a patient who'd happily wanted them, not simply given every patient prayer cards. Therefore she was still only offering her services. There's nothing weird about an elderly woman who'se religious so I don't think she meant any harm whatsoever. It's hardly disrespectful is it.

There's nothing wrong with being religious, but she brought religion into her work. That's unprofessional, and against her nursing guidelines. However well intentioned bringing religion into tending to someone's health is wrong. People are weaker and more vulnerable when they are ill - in essence she's saying here's an alternative to normal medicine. Some people might be converted who wouldn't in a less weak and vulnerable position.

From the article "I stopped handing out prayer cards after that but I found it more and more difficult [not to offer them]. My concern is for the person as a whole, not just their health"

She was offering them, that suggests it wasn't to people who had explicitly asking for the cards. If she's dealing with matters that have nothing to do with health, that's not part of her job and therefore unprofessional.
Meteorshower
There's nothing wrong with being religious, but she brought religion into her work. That's unprofessional, and against her nursing guidelines. However well intentioned bringing religion into tending to someone's health is wrong. People are weaker and more vulnerable when they are ill - in essence she's saying here's an alternative to normal medicine. Some people might be converted who wouldn't in a less weak and vulnerable position.

From the article "I stopped handing out prayer cards after that but I found it more and more difficult [not to offer them]. My concern is for the person as a whole, not just their health"

She was offering them, that suggests it wasn't to people who had explicitly asking for the cards. If she's dealing with matters that have nothing to do with health, that's not part of her job and therefore unprofessional.

Like i said though, very religious people bring their god into every aspect of their life
Reply 127
Meteorshower
If she's dealing with matters that have nothing to do with health, that's not part of her job and therefore unprofessional.
Arguably untrue.
Reply 128
*Stargirl*

In those situations its generally preferred to take your cues from the patient - so if they mention it first, or if they have bible or wearing overt religious symbols. If not, then generally speaking they don't care, in which case you can avoid problems.
Wangers
Because respecting equality and diversity cuts both ways. You respect patients who have faith and you can direct them to related services, but you must also respect those who are atheist, don't know what they believe in, or completly don't care. You can't just have respect for Christians.

Perfectly true, but it is arguable that offering a prayer for someone, whatever their faith, is not tantamount to being disrespectful.

And if by offering a prayer (out of goodwill, as the case seems to be), the nurse was being disrespectful to atheists, surely the most disrespect would be shown by the atheist if they were offended by such a proposition?
edit -
Reply 131
RedFeltTipPen
And if by offering a prayer (out of goodwill, as the case seems to be), the nurse was being disrespectful to atheists, surely the most disrespect would be shown by the atheist if they were offended by such a proposition?
Didn't you know that patients can't be disrespectful, even when they spit or punch...
Renal
Didn't you know that patients can't be disrespectful, even when they spit or punch...

I didn't... :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending