Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Like what exactly?
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 2
Like what..like the word 'it', the character 'IT' out of the Adams Family..what exactly?
Like ecksor..me confused! Or maybe that is that point of the thread..good one..if it is..kinda a rhetorical q.
Reply 3
im guessing;' do you like reading?'
No

As predictable as always :wink:

The only thing that makes it bearable is travelling to Imperial every fortnight, I'm seriously considering making a move to there to do a masters once I finish here..

London TEH ROCKSOR!
Reply 5
I loved it while I was there, last year. But what with the closure of the Music Department and the Halls Review, I'm glad I'm not there any more.
Reply 6
umm i really would have selected Reading as my insurance choice, HOWEVER... for some reason they gave me the highest requirements which was annoying, THEN my fellow friends in Reading made it very clear what a poor reputation it has in the town itself (to be honest, i hadn't even heard of Reading uni until about 4 months ago) and FINALLY... Reading were lovely and kind and sent me a cd rom so that i could see what it was 'really like to be a Reading student' =NOT impressed, who the hell made that video?! FIRST, something the cd pays close attention to is the HUGE 60's council blocks. I couldn't help but notice the UNBEARABLY huge chav population either!... otherwise, the business school looks nice... :smile:
Reply 7
Dero
No

As predictable as always :wink:

The only thing that makes it bearable is travelling to Imperial every fortnight, I'm seriously considering making a move to there to do a masters once I finish here..

London TEH ROCKSOR!

Why don't you like Reading? I've selected it as my firm, please tell me what's wrong! :eek:
See pros and cons.
Reply 9
Eeyore
Why don't you like Reading? I've selected it as my firm, please tell me what's wrong! :eek:

Well, I like it so maybe you will too :smile:

I listed a lot more pros than cons in that other thread as you can probably see, but then I spent a huge amount of time making sure that everything from the course to the campus was what I wanted so I guess it's not a massive surprise. I should really be able to think of more cons though, I will add them to the list as I think of them.

Lots of people on here and the livejournal link that Dero supplied really don't like Reading (but then people on LJ tend to moan a lot :tongue: ) but in general I find that most people either like it or don't mind it. However, like a lot of Universities it's not so much a case of it being good or bad but being good or bad for you, so it's best to figure out what you find important and see how Reading fares in that regard. Perhaps if you told us why you chose Reading then we could comment further.
ecksor
(but then people on LJ tend to moan a lot :tongue: )

Agreed :P

Its my own fault I'm lumbered in reading, I didn't do my research properly and landed off worse because of it.

I should have bothered doing my a-levels properly and gone to durham instead :smile: :rolleyes:
ecksor
Perhaps if you told us why you chose Reading then we could comment further.

I chose it primarily because I like the course better than those at the other universities I got offers from, and also because it's just the right distance from home and close to my bf!
Reply 12
Unless the course is maths I can't offer any help to you there ...
kew96158
I loved it while I was there, last year. But what with the closure of the Music Department and the Halls Review, I'm glad I'm not there any more.

Reading was my insurance and I remember at the open day, the woman said music was dying. Tis sad - happened here in Exeter too!
Reply 14
Evil Muffin
Reading was my insurance and I remember at the open day, the woman said music was dying. Tis sad - happened here in Exeter too!

Yeah, it was (is?) a crying shame. Aside from the fact that it honestly didn't deserve to close (which I'm sure is the case for Exeter too), I think it is such a tragedy that it was Music that was deliberately underfunded, then closed, rather than any other departments - just because the university was running a bit low on cash, and had the philistine view that Music doesn't count as much as subjects like Meteorology, Agriculture or Land Management.

Out of interest, what was Exeter's excuse for closing down their Music Department? Was that down to lack of money too?
Yep, it was lack of money: they wanted to put money into other departments, as music's research rating was too low. Its a pity: music may not be 'useful' to society in the way that say physics is, but its a pretty fundamental subject in academia, and having that gap in a university's subject repetoire is never a good thing.
Reply 16
Evil Muffin
Yep, it was lack of money: they wanted to put money into other departments, as music's research rating was too low. Its a pity: music may not be 'useful' to society in the way that say physics is, but its a pretty fundamental subject in academia, and having that gap in a university's subject repetoire is never a good thing.

a real shame, now the agriculture department is getting millions of pounds thrown at them because it is already highly renowned and could become world class, i think its a case of putting all their eggs in a few baskets and make excellent departments, seems that universities dont have the budgets to have such wide range of courses these days
Reply 17
I've lived here for yonks, and it's a great town. I'd have applied here if I didn't live here!
I don't know how you can live here, its horrible :frown:
Reply 19
Dero
I don't know how you can live here, its horrible :frown:

We're obviously very different people then. What don't you like?

Latest

Trending

Trending