The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
zoomzoomzoom
I think you've just proved his point (not that I agreed with it...it was very stupid)

To answer the original question, firstly, Jewish people are generally very hard-working and academic. This is probably due to culture and family pressure.

Secondly, many Jewish people form Easten European countries moved to America after the holocaust and here they were awarded great opportunities. In contrast the majority of Muslims live in LEDCs where there are few opportunities.

Thirdly, it may be it is a way of compensating for years of persecution!!!

His point being that if he says something anti-Semitic people will call him an anti-Semite? Great point there.

Are you seriously suggesting that Jews have been winning Nobel prizes because the awarding committee feels guilty over past Jewish persecution?
Bismarck
Ignoring the fact that they didn't breach the topic because they didn't want Turkish Jews to suffer at the hands of the Turkish government as a result of the recognition. Our anti-Semitic buddy over here, however, still refuses to acknowledge the fact that Turks killed a massive amount of Armenians. Rather hypocritical to whine about Israel killing 1,300 Palestinians while defending his country's murder of 1.5 million Armenians.

This.

I remember debating with that moron about the very subject of the armenian genocied.

He then went on to claim arabs were never involved in slavery and the ottoman's didn't colonise anywhere.

Talk about a biased view of history.
Bismarck
His point being that if he says something anti-Semitic people will call him an anti-Semite? Great point there.

Are you seriously suggesting that Jews have been winning Nobel prizes because the awarding committee feels guilty over past Jewish persecution?

Calm down, the last point was a joke.

And he didn't actually say anything anti-semetic. His point was stupid as he said 'there is bias towards Jews because they own Coca-Cola and Intel'. However it was not anti-semetic as he did not say anything against Jewish beliefs or make any statements such a 'Kill Jews', etc. I think you should look up the definition of anti-semetic.
zoomzoomzoom

And he didn't actually say anything anti-semetic. His point was stupid as he said 'there is bias towards Jews because they own Coca-Cola and Intel'. However it was not anti-semetic as he did not say anything against Jewish beliefs or make any statements such a 'Kill Jews', etc. I think you should look up the definition of anti-semetic.

He is comically pro-muslim and massively anti-semetic as his earlier posts prove.
Reply 64
aimzdy
The majority of jews live in well developed countries with access to a good education and the resources required for whatever they won a nobel prize in.
The majority of muslims however live in less developed countries and therefore dont have as many opportunities available to them

Why then in the US, where Jews represent just 2% of the population, have they won some 40% of the country's Nobel prizes? The obvious answer is higher IQ. Jewish achievement is by no means limited to just Nobel prizes: http://www.jinfo.org/index.html
jamessimth5
He is comically pro-muslim and massively anti-semetic as his earlier posts prove.

Fair enough but the post itself was not anti-semetic. I just think people should be more careful before throwing around emotive words.
illusione
I'm going to have to disagree as well. A disproportionate number of 20th century Jewish Nobel Prize Laureates were refugees from Nazi Germany, or the countries it occupied.

schools and universities did not exist in germany and the occupied countries before world war two then?
Reply 67
zoomzoomzoom

He said Jews control the US government and the corporations you mentioned. That attributes a joint motive to all Jews and posits the old anti-Semitic libel that Jews are deceitful and control everything from behind the scenes. FYI, Jews control neither the US government nor most of the corporations mentioned.
Reply 68
coren111
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Judaism/nobels.html

From 1901 to 2008 there were around 750 Nobel Prizes given out to individuals. 163 of these (21.7%) were won by Jews, even though they only make up 0.0025% of the world's population.

On the other hand, only 10 of these have been won by Muslims (1.3%) even though they constitute 22% of the world's population.

That means that Jews have won the Nobel prize 90 times more than you would expect based on population, whereas Muslims have won 1/17 of the amount you would expect them to win based on population.

Can anyone explain this massive discrepancy WITHOUT BEING RACIST IN ANY WAY?

:shifty:

This is such a pointless debate.
Bismarck
He said Jews control the US government.

How is that anti semetic?
Reply 70
ZahraF
:shifty:

This is such a pointless debate.

Why? Ashkenazi Jewish achievements are pretty hard to explain without going down the natural higher intelligence route... but how would you explain it?
Reply 71
The Nobel prize was established about 100 years ago, Islamic civilisation hasnt flourished in the last 100 years, its golden age was prior to the inception of the "Nobel prize".
Secondly academic research goes hand in hand with wealth and power, the Jewish community have the upper hand in this respect currently, have the power, opportunities, funds and time to discover and make advances. The Jewish community is also very hard working as everyone knows. Its aalso likely that there is a certain bias.
While the Islamic world isnt as powerful or wealthy as it once was, its leaders arent as interested in making advances in disciplines as they once were and i doubt the Western world would heavily publicise the work of Islamic figures, all advances by Muslims in the past have been referred to by the West mostly as Arab or Arabicised rather than Islamic, an Arab influence when it is admitted not an Islamic one, the way it is represented plays a big role in a persons idea of things
Finally the Nobel Prize isnt the be all end all, im sure there are allot of people who deserved it who were overlooked and some won it who were undeserving.
Reply 72
As said, those that did happen to flee the Holocaust went to place like Britain, America etc where there were great advances in their respective fields. I guess had there been a pressure on Muslims to move - who knows.

coren111
I wanted to know why Jews are so much better in their fields than muslims are comparatively

Do I hint a sense of bias? This statement can go either way. Were/are those Jewish Nobel Prize winners better in their field or were they better in their fields? Yes
The Nobel Prize has been around for 107 years and therefore can not include advances/achievements made my Muslims prior to its introduction - many of whom would have been leaders in their respective fields.

We are only assessing the achievements in a period of 107 years (achievements which have been credited), which in no way defines one group as stronger or better than the other.
Oh dear me.
Reply 74
The nobel prize is just like the oscars, if it's related to the holocaust then it wins.
Reply 75
KING MONKEY
How is that anti semetic?

I take it you also believe that A) Jews act in an organized manner to further and B) they control the US government?
All the big research goes on in the West, where there's a bunch of jews but ain't many muslims. "jew" is also a much looser term than "muslim" since it contains notions of descent and ethnicity. I doubt half the "jewish" recipients are actually practising jews. How many Nobel prize winners have Arabic ancestors?

Feel free to mercilessly slag off what I just posted.
Reply 77
jewish people have always been the "thinkers" and have always placed great importance on education, whereas muslims tend to be uneducated because its the best way for theyr govts(saudi arabia, iran, etc) to repress them, not intrduced them to ideas of a better world etc?
Reply 78
oh cmon on
The nobel prize is just like the oscars, if it's related to the holocaust then it wins.

Guess the chess championships are in the same category too then considering half of all world chess champions have been of Jewish origin...
Bismarck
He said Jews control the US government and the corporations you mentioned. That attributes a joint motive to all Jews and posits the old anti-Semitic libel that Jews are deceitful and control everything from behind the scenes. FYI, Jews control neither the US government nor most of the corporations mentioned.

I realise that the corporations mentioned are publicly traded and thus they are not owned by 'the Jews'. That is why I said the post was stupid. However, saying that Jewish people are influential in America is not anti-semetic. It may be ignorant but not anti-semetic. Tbh, this argument is pointless and I'm giving up on it.

Latest

Trending

Trending